Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: Windows Indexing File

Re: Windows Indexing File

Dddd

"Poop Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer" wrote in message ...
> >Windows has an indexing file (which can be deactivated by a user) which
> >indexes all files in one's computer.
> >1)Where is that file? (name/folder)
> >2)If I delete a file (or even overwrite a file using one of the
> >utilities that specifically overwrite its name as well), does that name
> >also disappear from the above indexing file as well?

> I'm not a computer expert, but I think you are referring to the
> File Allocation Table (FAT). Disabling this will destroy your
> computer's ability to access files on your hard drive. The FAT
> is so important that 2 copies are kept in case one becomes
> corrupted.

You may look here http://www.antispypro.com/antispy/indexdatpage.html
- there is the information, that you want to know about index.dat. You
can't delete this files, you can just clean them up.
Regards, Dddd

Poop Dogg

"Dddd" wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>You may look here http://www.antispypro.com/antispy/indexdatpage.html
>- there is the information, that you want to know about index.dat. You
>can't delete this files, you can just clean them up.

Oh, you all are talking about the infamous index.dat file. It is
protected in Windows mode, but you can boot to DOS and erase it.
I added a line to Autoexec.bat to erase it and all the cookies
each time I boot the computer.

Dick Hazeleger

Poop Dogg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dddd" wrote in message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> You may look here http://www.antispypro.com/antispy/indexdatpage.html
>> - there is the information, that you want to know about index.dat.
>> You can't delete this files, you can just clean them up.

> Oh, you all are talking about the infamous index.dat file. It is
> protected in Windows mode, but you can boot to DOS and erase it.
> I added a line to Autoexec.bat to erase it and all the cookies
> each time I boot the computer.

Hi,

Couldn't it be that the OP was talking abbout the File Indexing SERVICE on
NT (and alike) systems? You know the one famous for those extravagant large
files, most of the time in the root or in your WinNT folder???

Dick

---