Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > What dvd media?

What dvd media?

teflon

Hi,

What is the most reliable media/recording format for television viewing?

I've read that 'single layer' is the most dependable, but I won't pretend to
know why. I want to record wedding photographs and video to dvd and for it
to work on ANY dvd player or computer.

Suggestions on authoring software would also be helpful. I run a Mac and
heard iDvd is good. Any views on that?

Many thanks.

Tonester

"teflon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C0A76DD2.2FA9%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What is the most reliable media/recording format for television viewing?
>
> I've read that 'single layer' is the most dependable, but I won't pretend
> know why. I want to record wedding photographs and video to dvd and for it
> to work on ANY dvd player or computer.

You definitley don't want double layer then, go single layer Ritek or Taiyo
Yuden DVD-R.

> Suggestions on authoring software would also be helpful. I run a Mac and
> heard iDvd is good. Any views on that?

Can't help you there..didn't even know Mac still made computers

Derek Janssen

Tonester wrote:

>>Suggestions on authoring software would also be helpful. I run a Mac and
>>heard iDvd is good. Any views on that?

> Can't help you there..didn't even know Mac still made computers

....They make them to go with their iPods. ^_^

And iDVD seems to be the best Mac software for recording them in
standalone-playable format (and the new drives can burn +R and -R)--
iMovie tends to make things a bit QuickTime-fuzzy (been converting some
old .avi files), but the menu-authoring blows most third-party programs
away.

Derek Janssen

Barry McCockiner

In article <C0A76DD2.2FA9%(E-Mail Removed)>, teflon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've read that 'single layer' is the most dependable, but I won't pretend to
> know why. I want to record wedding photographs and video to dvd and for it
> to work on ANY dvd player or computer.

No recordable DVD will work on *every* standalone DVD player. But
you'll have the widest compatibility with DVD-R media (not DVD+R), made
by Taiyo-Yuden or Ritek, as another poster indicated.

I get Taiyo-Yuden from one of three popular sources, depending on who
has a good deal when I'm ready to buy:

http://www.meritline.com/
http://www.supermediastore.com/
http://www.rima.com/

> Suggestions on authoring software would also be helpful. I run a Mac and
> heard iDvd is good. Any views on that?

iDVD is very, very good; better than most of the standalone programs
I've used on the PC. It's included on all Macs. If you have an old
version, you can update to the latest by buying the iLife package,
which sells for $79. (It also includes several other programs.)

http://www.apple.com/ilife/

unclejr

Derek Janssen wrote:
> And iDVD seems to be the best Mac software

No. DVD Studio Pro is by far a much better program. HTH.

-Junior

teflon

On 3/6/06 18:20, in article
Vxjgg.8563$(E-Mail Removed) et, "Tonester"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "teflon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:C0A76DD2.2FA9%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the most reliable media/recording format for television viewing?
>>
>> I've read that 'single layer' is the most dependable, but I won't pretend
>> know why. I want to record wedding photographs and video to dvd and for it
>> to work on ANY dvd player or computer.

> You definitley don't want double layer then, go single layer Ritek or Taiyo
> Yuden DVD-R.
>

>> Suggestions on authoring software would also be helpful. I run a Mac and
>> heard iDvd is good. Any views on that?

> Can't help you there..didn't even know Mac still made computers

Maybe they don't - I've been using my one for six years now.

Thanks for replying.

teflon

On 3/6/06 19:17, in article 030620061417255208%(E-Mail Removed), "Barry
McCockiner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <C0A76DD2.2FA9%(E-Mail Removed)>, teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've read that 'single layer' is the most dependable, but I won't pretend to
>> know why. I want to record wedding photographs and video to dvd and for it
>> to work on ANY dvd player or computer.

> No recordable DVD will work on *every* standalone DVD player. But
> you'll have the widest compatibility with DVD-R media (not DVD+R), made
> by Taiyo-Yuden or Ritek, as another poster indicated.
>
> I get Taiyo-Yuden from one of three popular sources, depending on who
> has a good deal when I'm ready to buy:
>
> http://www.meritline.com/
> http://www.supermediastore.com/
> http://www.rima.com/
>

>> Suggestions on authoring software would also be helpful. I run a Mac and
>> heard iDvd is good. Any views on that?

> iDVD is very, very good; better than most of the standalone programs
> I've used on the PC. It's included on all Macs. If you have an old
> version, you can update to the latest by buying the iLife package,
> which sells for $79. (It also includes several other programs.)
>
> http://www.apple.com/ilife/

Just what I needed to hear. Many thanks.