Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Stupidity of Region coding

Stupidity of Region coding

Netmask

Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
office and another in Melbourne..

Dick Sidbury

In article <tZxeg.13037$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
> dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
> each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
> simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
> stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
> damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
> office and another in Melbourne..

Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
least part of the reason is region coding.

dick

Oldus Fartus

Netmask wrote:
> Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
> dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
> each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
> simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
> stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
> damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
> office and another in Melbourne..

You and your friends are exceedingly dimwitted then.

Yes, region coding is stupid, but only because it is so easily bypassed,
not because it forces Yuppies to buy three or four different DVD
player/burners.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Justin

Dick Sidbury wrote on [Mon, 29 May 2006 10:35:45 -0400]:
> In article <tZxeg.13037$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
>> dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
>> each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
>> simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
>> stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
>> damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
>> office and another in Melbourne..

> Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
> coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
> release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
> least part of the reason is region coding.

VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
markets.

Kimba W. Lion

Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
>coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
>release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
>least part of the reason is region coding.

Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where the
money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto DVD.

Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much want
to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to offer.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Kimba W. Lion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
> >coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
> >release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
> >least part of the reason is region coding.

> Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where the
> money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto DVD.
>
> Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much want
> to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to offer.

Japanese studios felt the same way, and region coding kept consumers
from importing cheaper US versions of Japanese shows. Toho has tried to
keep the original Godzilla out of the US market, refusing to license
it. It's all about protecting local markets, as without it whichever
country produces the cheapest version of a film will end up supplying
it to most of the world.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

SoHillsGuy

Justin wrote:
> VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
> North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
> markets.

There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
control the market.

Tarkus

On 5/29/2006 10:36:09 AM, Kimba W. Lion wrote:

> Region coding has nothing to do with the quick releases. DVD is where
> the money is these days, so that's why they're hot to get things onto
> DVD.
>
> Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very much
> want to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the world has to
> offer.

That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't want
certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases in those
markets.

Of course, P2P is somewhat rendering that null and void.
--
"Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat."

Now playing: "The Doors - The Soft Parade (live)"

Kimba W. Lion

Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Toho has tried to
>keep the original Godzilla out of the US market, refusing to license it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...mbwlionscor-20

Kimba W. Lion

Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't want
>certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases in those
>markets.

Simple answer: release the movie theatrically overseas before the DVD is
released.

I think the theory about the cheapest producer dominating the world market
is closer to the truth. Australia has called region coding a restraint of
trade.