Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Stupidity of Region coding

Reply
Thread Tools

Stupidity of Region coding

 
 
jayembee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2006
Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very
>> much want to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the
>> world has to offer.

>
> That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't
> want certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases
> in those markets.


If that was the case, then there would be no point in region-coding
any movie that wasn't a recent theatrical release.

The primary reason is because different companies may have rights to
a given movie in different parts of the world. Paramount, for example,
has a vested interest in making sure Americans buy *their* version
of TITANIC, rather than getting Fox's version from Australia or the
the UK.

It also allows a studio to sell the rights for their film to several
different companies in different regions. Toho can make more money
selling the rights to SEVEN SAMURAI to different companies in
different markets than by selling world-wide rights to one company.

-- jayembee
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2006
On 5/30/2006 8:34:09 AM, jayembee wrote:

> Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Region coding is stupid, but not from Hollywood's POV. They very
>>> much want to keep US people from sampling what the rest of the
>>> world has to offer.

>>
>> That's not the primary reason. The primary reason is they don't
>> want certain markets getting DVDs before the theatrical releases
>> in those markets.

>
> If that was the case, then there would be no point in region-coding
> any movie that wasn't a recent theatrical release.
>
> The primary reason is because different companies may have rights to
> a given movie in different parts of the world. Paramount, for example,
> has a vested interest in making sure Americans buy *their* version
> of TITANIC, rather than getting Fox's version from Australia or the
> the UK.
>
> It also allows a studio to sell the rights for their film to several
> different companies in different regions. Toho can make more money
> selling the rights to SEVEN SAMURAI to different companies in
> different markets than by selling world-wide rights to one company.


Point taken.
--
"Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
exploited!"

Now playing: "King's X - Freedom"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jay G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
On 29 May 2006 12:43:47 -0700, SoHillsGuy wrote:
> There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
> differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
> broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
> incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
> control the market.


Not true. DVDs are still created in two very different video formats, PAL
and NTSC. The difference is that DVD players are much more capable of
converting between the two formats than VCRs ever were. Even in VHS days,
the difference in video formats only largely affected the US. Countries
that primarily used PAL often produced VCRs and TVs That were capable of
displying both formats.

-Jay
 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
Jay G. wrote on [Sat, 3 Jun 2006 06:52:26 -0500]:
> On 29 May 2006 12:43:47 -0700, SoHillsGuy wrote:
>> There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
>> differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
>> broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
>> incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
>> control the market.

>
> Not true. DVDs are still created in two very different video formats, PAL
> and NTSC. The difference is that DVD players are much more capable of
> converting between the two formats than VCRs ever were. Even in VHS days,
> the difference in video formats only largely affected the US. Countries
> that primarily used PAL often produced VCRs and TVs That were capable of
> displying both formats.


The multi format VCRs were a very recent phenomena, mid 90s. Available
on a large scale anyway.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dick Sidbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <tZxeg.13037$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Many of my friends now have 3 or even 4 external DVD player/burners
>> dedicated to a particular region with USA, Europe, South America labels on
>> each . At around $50 each unit and with one $15 IDE to USB adapter it's a
>> simple matter to plug/unplug. The whole arrangement of region coding is just
>> stupid as so many people travel across continents and around the world -
>> damned if I'm going to keep a dedicated collection of DVD's in my London
>> office and another in Melbourne..

>
>Actually from my point of view (being in the US), I believe that region
>coding is good. DVDs seem to come out much quicker after the theatrical
>release of a movie than they did in the VHS days. I believe that at
>least part of the reason is region coding.
>
>dick


Region coding was implemented to stop people from importing from
other countries. That was rampant in the days of the LP and the
CD, and the license owners, and licensees in other countries got
upset with that, so when the DVDs came out they implemented
region coding.

But since 'the world is flat' in this day of electonics, and so
many compnaies are gobbling up others, I would hope that someday
this foolishness would end.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Vermillion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)2go.com>,
Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>SoHillsGuy wrote on [29 May 2006 18:44:18 -0700]:
>>
>> Justin wrote:
>>> SoHillsGuy wrote on [29 May 2006 12:43:47 -0700]:
>>> >
>>> > Justin wrote:
>>> >> VHS had its own region coding built in for the longest time, with only
>>> >> North America and Japan being in the same region. Maybe a few smaller
>>> >> markets.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > There's no "region coding" in VHS, at least in the same created
>>> > differences on DVDs. The differences in VHS had everything to do with
>>> > broadcasted picture lines. Differences in country standards created
>>> > incompatible tapes. The difference in DVDs is created purely to
>>> > control the market.
>>>
>>> Well duh. What do you think I was talking about?

>>
>> You say it had "region coding." It didn't. It wasn't something "built
>> in," as though on purpose. It was just different. Having
>> non-compatible broadcast standards is clearly not the same as
>> intentionally making things different to control a market. The same
>> result, yes. But not the same reasoning behind it, as you seemed to
>> imply. If you meant otherwise, then I'm sorry but you used the wrong
>> terminology.


>Whether it was intentional or not, it restricted product to certain
>regions.


Just as a TV set made in England wouldn't work in the US - as
most of Europe had PAL and the US had NTSC. And there were
variants of NTSC. It all had to do with the way governments
specified the standards for their TV tranmitters. And of
course in France it was SECAM.

It's similar to the difference between cars that run gas as opposed
to those that ran diesel.

And those standards for TV were set in place at least 25 years
before the first home VCRs became available. The VCR's had to be
able to record the native broadcast standard.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BluRay Region Coding Announced - Japan & US Same Region. Allan DVD Video 2 01-07-2006 09:58 PM
UK only, Yorkshire region - PC problems, onsite support for Yorkshire region. Need PC upgrading or a new one cheap? Computek Ltd Computer Support 7 02-22-2005 02:38 AM
Convert Region 2 DVD to Region 1? Nsagio Computer Support 4 08-30-2004 02:18 PM
Converting Region 1 to Region 2 Coop DVD Video 0 09-27-2003 10:19 PM
Buffy Region 1 vs. Region 2/4 Anthrax442 DVD Video 1 09-14-2003 04:05 PM



Advertisments