Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > May 25, 1977: Star Wars released

May 25, 1977: Star Wars released

fgoodwin

May 25, 1977: Star Wars released

http://www.historychannel.com/tdih/t...7&day=10272990
http://tinyurl.com/mf3ex

Space fantasy Star Wars opens on this day in 1977.

The film became one of the most popular movies of all time, breaking
box office records. Filmmaker George Lucas was nominated for Best
Director and Best Screenwriter Oscars, and the film won seven Oscars
for technical achievements and its musical score, written by John
Williams.

The movie was re-released with great fanfare in 1997.

Harkness

And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.

Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

John Harkness

Bill

Harkness wrote:
> And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
> anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
>
> Of course, George's fans were asking for it.
>
> John Harkness

Good ole George has come a long way--many years ago, I seem to recall
him insisting that Stars Wars was meant to be seen in theaters, and
would never make it onto home video.

Why do I have a feeling that September's release is only the first in a
string of upcoming releases for the original versions?

Derek Janssen

Harkness wrote:

> And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
> anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
>
> Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

The official company party-line is, George really *did* destroy the
original prints, and all they had left to satisfy noisy fans with was
the old '93 pre-SE LD masters in the vault.

The thrust of the whole "skeptic" fan movement contradicting this seems
to be based on:
1) "George is just greedy, so he can sell them again!" (thaaank you, next?)
2) "George is just throwing a tantrum because he doesn't want fans
telling him different things about his movies than he believes!" (mmm,
possible, but...)
3) "Oh, George wouldn't have been stupid enough to *really* destroy his
old prints because he likes his new versions so much, would he?"

To which 3) argument, I have personally been subscribing, "...Oh,
WOULDN'T he, though? -_- "

Derek Janssen (it is a logical fallacy to underestimate auteur stupidity)

Harkness

There was a comment on digital bits by Robert Harris - the guy who
restored Laurence of Arabia and others -- which basically said that
Lucas' position on the impossiblity of restoring the original was
horseshit.

Even if the original negs are gone, there are other prints,
interpositives, etcetera. Hell, I know a couple of people who own 35 mm
prints of the original.

John Harkness

Lance Corporal \Hammer\ Schultz

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:18:30 -0400, Derek Janssen wrote:

> 3) "Oh, George wouldn't have been stupid enough to *really* destroy his
> old prints because he likes his new versions so much, would he?"
>
> To which 3) argument, I have personally been subscribing, "...Oh,
> WOULDN'T he, though? -_- "

It would be physically incapable of him to do so. There are many
collectors with prints of the original versions of the movies. Those
prints could be used by professional film restorers to create a new
high definition digital master of the movies that look far better than
an LD master *that was not even state of the art when it was made*.

This wouldn't be such a disappointment to me if the original LD
transfer was itself anamorphic. At least then it would have an
acceptable appearance on my widescreen television.

--
Lance Corporal "Hammer" Schultz
Promote someone else.

Anybody

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Harkness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
> anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
>
> Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner.

Derek Janssen

Anybody wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> "Harkness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
>>anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
>>
>>Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

> Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner.

Well, I WAS going to nostalgically rhapsodize how, prior to 1977,
Memorial Day was considered the "kiss of death" weekend for movies
(well, everyone would be barbecuing at the beach, wouldn't they?), and
Fox originally let Lucas have his bottle and dump the movie in a weekend
where "no one would notice", so that they could concentrate on their big
June studio opening for "Other Side of Midnight", but...times and
current headlines must take precedence.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Harkness

Actually, it was the second reply.

And I was more mocking Star Wars fans, rather than whining. I've no
intention of acquiring any edition of any Star Wars films on DVD.

Never had, never will.

John Harkness

Alpha

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>> "Harkness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>And in 2006, Lucas decided to **** his fans again, with the non
>>>anamophic release of Star Wars and its sequels in their original form.
>>>
>>>Of course, George's fans were asking for it.

>> Geez, the first reply in this topic is some idiot whiner.

> Well, I WAS going to nostalgically rhapsodize how, prior to 1977, Memorial
> Day was considered the "kiss of death" weekend for movies (well, everyone
> would be barbecuing at the beach, wouldn't they?), and Fox originally let
> Lucas have his bottle and dump the movie in a weekend where "no one would
> notice", so that they could concentrate on their big June studio opening
> for "Other Side of Midnight", but...times and current headlines must take
> precedence.
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

The release was interesting around here. No, and I mean no publicity. But
at the national opening day, somehow word was out, and lines were around the
block.