Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > MPAA accused of hiring hackers

MPAA accused of hiring hackers

Modemac

The MPAA is accused of hiring a hacker to steal information from a
company accused of helping those Evil Internet Movie Pirates:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6076665.html

I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
life from new technologies.

--
The High Weirdness Project
http://www.modemac.com

Rich

On 25 May 2006 04:46:13 -0700, "Modemac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The MPAA is accused of hiring a hacker to steal information from a
>company accused of helping those Evil Internet Movie Pirates:
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6076665.html
>
>I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
>life from new technologies.

The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
investigation of the MPAA? Hackers serve real jail time nowadays
and it would be wonderful to see someone from the MPAA behind bars.

jmcgill

Rich wrote:
> The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
> investigation of the MPAA?

Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
persuade an Attorney General to take action.

It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

Bratboy

"jmcgill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Rich wrote:
>> The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
>> investigation of the MPAA?

> Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
> persuade an Attorney General to take action.
>
> It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
> civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
> case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

Yeah, sort of like all thee criminal trials where the person is found
innocent but then they get sued in Civil Court over same issues. Like
happened with OJ and the other more recent case, I cant think of the guys
name right now. In both cases tho they were found innocent of charge of
Murder but then OJ lost everything in a civil suit over the same issue. The
judicial system has never made sense to me, if your found innocent then that
should be it not get a second shot

Onideus Mad Chatterly

On 25 May 2006 04:46:13 -0700,
Modemac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
>life from new technologies.

I'm teh cCRAZY durnsk! `, ) ...but I must eat smaksk...and then drink
more...not quits notally inebrated yet. I'VE OGTS PEPERONI POTATO
CHIPSQ1!1! *BURPS* scuze me...Big Daddy Howard just burped me. All
better now. +_+

--
Onideus Mad Chatterly

"Oh, I feel real good about my oncoming hurricane now that Lady C has
jumped into the discussion." -- Yomamma bin Crawdaddin

Justin

Bratboy wrote on [Thu, 25 May 2006 09:44:23 -0600]:

> "jmcgill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Rich wrote:
>>> The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
>>> investigation of the MPAA?

>> Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
>> persuade an Attorney General to take action.
>>
>> It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
>> civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
>> case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

> Yeah, sort of like all thee criminal trials where the person is found
> innocent but then they get sued in Civil Court over same issues. Like
> happened with OJ and the other more recent case, I cant think of the guys
> name right now. In both cases tho they were found innocent of charge of
> Murder but then OJ lost everything in a civil suit over the same issue. The
> judicial system has never made sense to me, if your found innocent then that
> should be it not get a second shot

OJ wasn't found innocent. He was found Not Guilty beyond a reasonable
doubt for the criminal act. He was found Guilty by the civil system for
wrongful death. Reasonable doubt plays a much smaller part in the civil
system.

The other guy you are thinking of is the Blake guy.

BTR1701

In article <tSidg.5915$_c1.899@fed1read05>,
jmcgill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rich wrote:
> > The question is, why is this a civil lawsuit and not a criminal
> > investigation of the MPAA?

> Perhaps the evidence is not to the standard that would be necessary to
> persuade an Attorney General to take action.
>
> It is FAR easier to press a civil suit. In some states, you can make a
> civil suit, even if your claims are completely preposterous. Sure, your
> case will probably be thrown out, but you will get the first hearing.

Kinda like the RIAA suing people who have never even owned a computer
for illegal music downloading.

trippy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Modemac took the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh
Wow"...

> The MPAA is accused of hiring a hacker to steal information from a
> company accused of helping those Evil Internet Movie Pirates:
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6076665.html
>
> I guess nothing is off-limits in the holy war to defend the old way of
> life from new technologies.

Hey, what about China and other parts of Asia where all the pirating
happens?

--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

NP: "Damn" -- Matchbox 20

"Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
and a smile."

-- Robert Redford "Spy Game"