Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > A bit PO'd about the MASH sets...

A bit PO'd about the MASH sets...

Jordan

I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
etc. But hey, you take what you can get.

I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
this stunner:

"Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"

Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
your company $300.

Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.

- Jordan

Morgan

"Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
> decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
> been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
> etc. But hey, you take what you can get.
>
> I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
> little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
> this stunner:
>
> "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
> The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
> All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"
>
> Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
> your company $300.
>
> Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
> of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.
>
> - Jordan

I too have collected these sets (I haven't picked up season 10 yet), and
that's ****ed up! They need to give those of us who have spent more money
on the individual sets than those who will buy the all-in-one set something
special. Why? Because if we didn't buy the individual sets, they wouldn't
have continued putting the sets out after season 1. They should really
thank us better than that. A mail-in bonus disc and a nice box to put them
in would be nice. Now I'm getting worried about other shows I'm collecting.
Should I even bother buying DVD sets now if they're going to offer more
extras and, no doubt, smaller packaging at a cheaper price later? Didn't
they do that with "Buffy..." and "Sex and the City" as well? Maybe I'll
learn to be more patient before I buy--copy rentals and friend's discs until
the big set comes out. And why the hell would they put that flyer INSIDE
the season 10!?! How stupid is that?

Morgan

thursday@9

And yet the television, motion pictures and music industry gets upset
when they discover that people download their entertainment for free.

littlejoeflub@yahoo.com

Morgan wrote:
> "Jordan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
> > decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
> > been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
> > etc. But hey, you take what you can get.
> >
> > I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
> > little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
> > this stunner:
> >
> > "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
> > The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
> > All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"
> >
> > Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
> > your company $300.
> >
> > Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
> > of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.
> >
> > - Jordan

> I too have collected these sets (I haven't picked up season 10 yet), and
> that's ****ed up! They need to give those of us who have spent more money
> on the individual sets than those who will buy the all-in-one set something
> special. Why? Because if we didn't buy the individual sets, they wouldn't
> have continued putting the sets out after season 1. They should really
> thank us better than that. A mail-in bonus disc and a nice box to put them
> in would be nice. Now I'm getting worried about other shows I'm collecting.
> Should I even bother buying DVD sets now if they're going to offer more
> extras and, no doubt, smaller packaging at a cheaper price later? Didn't
> they do that with "Buffy..." and "Sex and the City" as well? Maybe I'll
> learn to be more patient before I buy--copy rentals and friend's discs until
> the big set comes out. And why the hell would they put that flyer INSIDE
> the season 10!?! How stupid is that?
>
> Morgan

After reading the OP I too felt a little miffed at having spent $25-30+
apiece over the last five years just to get this "news" so close to the
end but then I remembered the reason I bought the individual sets all
this time was to get the series on dvd with the hopes the releases
would continue till "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen". I had no
expectations of extras as each new individual season came out so if we
get left out in the end I'll be disappointed but life wouldn't end.

This ad in season 10 (which I'll pick up soon; OP thanks for the
reminder!) does shed light that the entire series will be on dvd and
not end prematurely. I wonder how many tv series were started to be
released on dvd but never made it till their series finale. After all
this time of buying individual sets the only real "extra" I'd like to
see from Fox would be the short-lived "After M*A*S*H" series released
on dvd to complete the series. All the years I grew up watching Mash
they never included these in the syndication package and since I was
only 9 when it originally aired I don't remember them.

thad@thadlabs.com

> [...]
> I wonder how many tv series were started to be
> released on dvd but never made it till their series finale.

TWIN PEAKS, for one.

Lucky for me I have the compete laserdisc set.

lorincantrell@yahoo.com

Add to that Showtime's JEREMIAH, and EVERWOOD. In the case of EVERWOOD
it remains to be seen, but as far as I know only season 1 has come out
(quite some time ago) and they have several more seasons in the can.
Don't bode well in my opinion.

-beaumon

Bratboy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Add to that Showtime's JEREMIAH, and EVERWOOD. In the case of EVERWOOD
> it remains to be seen, but as far as I know only season 1 has come out
> (quite some time ago) and they have several more seasons in the can.
> Don't bode well in my opinion.
>
> -beaumon

Well BBC is guilty of this as well. For example with the New Doctor Who
episodes they first put out as barebones dvd's of the show then after they
finished season 1 they put out a set with extra's and goodies, glad I
waited, & they have already doing it again with Season 2. Seem to recall
many fustraited early buyers. Maybe they will offer some sort of deal
concerning MASH, say something like if you already own some seasons and buy
the uber set you get a few bucks back for each set. Sorta like the way they
did with the LotR where you could send in Proof of purchase for buying
standard & later the extended and get back $5. It wouldnt be that much but
I'd imagine anything is better than nothing.

SoHillsGuy

Bratboy wrote:
> Well BBC is guilty of this as well. For example with the New Doctor Who
> episodes they first put out as barebones dvd's of the show then after they
> finished season 1 they put out a set with extra's and goodies

I'm pretty sure the BBC made it perfectly clear at the time what their
release plan was going to be in regards to the simple and quick
versions versus the later full-set version.

Goro

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > [...]
> > I wonder how many tv series were started to be
> > released on dvd but never made it till their series finale.

> TWIN PEAKS, for one.
>
> Lucky for me I have the compete laserdisc set.

i thought i heard tht S2 was being worked on, or going to be released
in R2 or something. S2 boxset to include S1's pilot episode, too. Not
sure where i heard this as it was a while ago.

-goro-

Bratboy

"SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Bratboy wrote:
>> Well BBC is guilty of this as well. For example with the New Doctor Who
>> episodes they first put out as barebones dvd's of the show then after
>> they
>> finished season 1 they put out a set with extra's and goodies

> I'm pretty sure the BBC made it perfectly clear at the time what their
> release plan was going to be in regards to the simple and quick
> versions versus the later full-set version.

No idea if they did or not, it wasnt till well after several bare bones were
out before they even announced what would be in the full season set. I do
recall tho that when they announced the Season set there were many upset was
all. Still better to find out partway thru the 1st season than buying 10
season sets only to find out a better full set is coming. Almost sounds like
a G. Lucas SW stunt hehe

Google mash-up I'd like to see Don Wiss Digital Photography 42 12-22-2007 10:22 AM
FA: MASH Seasons 1-6 DVD set (US seller - US sets)...CHEAP Jeffman316 DVD Video 0 11-15-2004 12:00 PM
Hash mash Harry Computer Support 1 08-08-2004 02:43 PM
FS: MASH seasons 1,2,3 $70 shipping included bosco rooty DVD Video 0 09-17-2003 01:37 PM

Advertisments