Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Set-Based Switched vs. CatIOS

Set-Based Switched vs. CatIOS

David Jones

OK, I'm a pretty green newbie when it comes to Cisco equipment. That's
why I'm learning it, right? Well, I have waht may be an obvious
question. I did search both this NewsGroup and Cisco.com.

What is the difference between a Set-based switch and a CatIOS-based
switch?

From what I have read, the CatIOS switch runs the IOS for switches.
Duh! This would be like the Cat1900 series, right?
And I've also read that the Set-Based tend to cost a bit more.

So what's the difference, and can someone maybe post some examples of
each?

Thanks A Bunch ~ Dave

SD

The main difference is (if I understand the question) the switches like the
2900XL, 3550's run a full IOS (CatIOS) almost identical to one you'd find on
a router. Same command configuration syntax. Set based is a bit older, while
still widely implemented (ie cat 5000's), the command syntax is completely
different.

hope this helps
"David Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> OK, I'm a pretty green newbie when it comes to Cisco equipment. That's
> why I'm learning it, right? Well, I have waht may be an obvious
> question. I did search both this NewsGroup and Cisco.com.
>
> What is the difference between a Set-based switch and a CatIOS-based
> switch?
>
> From what I have read, the CatIOS switch runs the IOS for switches.
> Duh! This would be like the Cat1900 series, right?
> And I've also read that the Set-Based tend to cost a bit more.
>
> So what's the difference, and can someone maybe post some examples of
> each?
>
> Thanks A Bunch ~ Dave
> (E-Mail Removed)

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
David Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:What is the difference between a Set-based switch and a CatIOS-based
:switch?

I have never heard of 'set-based' with respect to Cisco equipment.

What I have heard of is this:

- a small amount of Cisco equipment uses CBOS.
- older switches use CatOS; this included the -switch- part of the
wide-selling Cat5000 series
- routers Newer switches and newer switches use IOS
- for a few of the devices that were designed for CatOS, Cisco has
developed IOS, as a "hybrid" image or a full image
- the Cisco PIX firewall series has an operating system named Finesse,
as does the Firewall Services Module for the 6500 series.
--
Look out, there are llamas!

Francois Labreque

Program ended abnormally on 21/10/2003 10:36, Due to a catastrophic
David Jones error:
> OK, I'm a pretty green newbie when it comes to Cisco equipment. That's
> why I'm learning it, right? Well, I have waht may be an obvious
> question. I did search both this NewsGroup and Cisco.com.
>
> What is the difference between a Set-based switch and a CatIOS-based
> switch?

CatOS switches use commands like:

set port name 3/1 To Router1
set port speed 3/1 100
set port duplex 3/1 full
set vlan 12 3/1

CatIOS switches us commands like:

interface fastethernet3/1
description To Router1
speed 100
duplex full
switchport access vlan 12
!

> From what I have read, the CatIOS switch runs the IOS for switches.
> Duh! This would be like the Cat1900 series, right?

1900s running the Entreprise version of the code do have a CatIOS-like
front-end, along with the menu-driven interface.

> And I've also read that the Set-Based tend to cost a bit more.

CatOS runs on bigger switches. The difference in price is not due to the OS,
but the hardware.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

Francois Labreque

Program ended abnormally on 21/10/2003 12:25, Due to a catastrophic
Walter Roberson error:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> David Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :What is the difference between a Set-based switch and a CatIOS-based
> :switch?
>
> I have never heard of 'set-based' with respect to Cisco equipment.

IIRC, the only time I've seen the term used was on the CCNP switching exam.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never
@ | bothered to come down here and visit us!
videotron.ca | - Calvin

marlhole marlhole is offline
Junior Member
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones
OK,

What is the difference between a Set-based switch and a CatIOS-based
switch?

From what I have read, the CatIOS switch runs the IOS for switches.
Duh! This would be like the Cat1900 series, right?
And I've also read that the Set-Based tend to cost a bit more.

So what's the difference, and can someone maybe post some examples of
each?

Thanks A Bunch ~ Dave
(E-Mail Removed)
Hello Dave,

I am sure if all your questions were answered, since it was some time ago since your thread was made. However, “Cisco Systems has migrated chassis-based Catalyst switches to the CatIOS, which permits a single image to be used on a Supervisor Engine. This is the case for a Catalyst 6000 family switch with an MSFC or MSFC2. Further, this is also the case for the image used on the Catalyst 4006 and 4500 switch with the Supervisor Engine III or IV, which has an integrated route processor.” In particular, the 4006 with Supervisor Engine II, the 5000 and 6000 Families of switches running CatOS are being replaced by the 4000 and 4500 with Supervisor Engine III or IV, and the Catalyst 6000 Family of switches running CatIOS. Additionally, “CatIOS commands which are used on 7600 series Internet routers, serve as an evolutionary upgrade to Cisco 7200 and 7500 series routers, comprehensively support for optical MAN and WAN functionality.”

Just so you know, there are/have been a convergence taking place with the list of commands used by various Cisco devices. It makes the use of all Cisco devices much easier in general and does not require the customer to learn multiple operating systems and command sets. Minor changes in commands have been implemented on the 2950 and 3550 (which are not end-of-life, as are the others) to synchronize their command sets with the chassis-based switches running CatIOS.

“One side effect of this evolution is the demise of CatOS. Although CatOS devices will remain in the system and field for some time, eventually the use of this O/S on these devices will end, or the devices will be replaced by CatIOS devices.”

Hope this clears up some stuff.