Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Original Star Wars DVDs to be NON-ANAMORPHIC '95 VERSIONS!!

Original Star Wars DVDs to be NON-ANAMORPHIC '95 VERSIONS!!

TB

Yep,

It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.
Basically, Lucas is offering the '95 "original" transfers of the three Star
Wars films (EP 4,5,6) that were used for the laserdisc releases and *will
not* be 16:9 anamorphically enhanced.

AND, while it's old news now, to rub salt in the wound, it's still worth
noting they're being paired with the last "remastered" edits as 2 dvd sets.
The old laserdiscs, because of the better bitrate for the audio will
actually still be sonically better then the upcoming dvds.

This has to be the biggest "**** You" anyone could have imagined coming from
Lucas.

T.B.

Impmon

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:33:44 GMT, "TB" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This has to be the biggest "**** You" anyone could have imagined coming from
>Lucas.

Yet another year for me to stick with my old VCR and the tape sets.
Most likely will NOT buy that set since I don't really see much
difference with the DVD set released not too long ago and this
upcoming set other than just a few scene enhancements.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.

Aphelion

> Basically, Lucas is offering the '95 "original" transfers of the three
> Star Wars films (EP 4,5,6) that were used for the laserdisc releases and
> *will not* be 16:9 anamorphically enhanced.

So when they fed us this line:

"We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source
material that could be presented on DVD."

.... they're full of ****. What a ****er.

Aphelion

unclejr

TB wrote:
> It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

Relax, Chicken Little...

Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.

-Junior

unclejr

TB wrote:
> It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

Relax, Chicken Little...

Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.

-Junior

Goro

unclejr wrote:
> TB wrote:
> > It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

> Relax, Chicken Little...
>
> Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.
>
> -Junior

Junior,
Digitalbits IS a credible site. This news isn't on the rumor mill
portion, either; it's on the main page and when he puts the info there,
it's pretty solid.

And it also meshes in with Lucas.

i was on the fence of buying them anyway and now with this news... meh.

i'm sure it'll still rake in tonsof bux, though...

-goro-

Sean Black

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Goro
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>unclejr wrote:
>> TB wrote:
>> > It's been confirmed on a few sites including The Digital Bits website.

>> Relax, Chicken Little...
>>
>> Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.
>>
>> -Junior

>Junior,
>Digitalbits IS a credible site. This news isn't on the rumor mill
>portion, either; it's on the main page and when he puts the info there,
>it's pretty solid.
>
>And it also meshes in with Lucas.
>
>i was on the fence of buying them anyway and now with this news... meh.
>
>i'm sure it'll still rake in tonsof bux, though...

What's the betting that in a year or two, when Lucas needs another cash
injection they'll be re-released with an anamorphic transfer?
--
Sean Black

Derek Janssen

Sean Black wrote:

>> unclejr wrote:

>>> Relax, Chicken Little...
>>>
>>> Meh. I'll believe the bad news when a credible site says it's so.
>>>
>>> -Junior

>> Junior,
>> Digitalbits IS a credible site. This news isn't on the rumor mill
>> portion, either; it's on the main page and when he puts the info there,
>> it's pretty solid.
>>
>> And it also meshes in with Lucas.
>>
>> i was on the fence of buying them anyway and now with this news... meh.
>>
>> i'm sure it'll still rake in tonsof bux, though...
>>

> What's the betting that in a year or two, when Lucas needs another cash
> injection they'll be re-released with an anamorphic transfer?

Odds: Scratched--

If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
destroyed"...They WERE.
Which, presumably, is *why* we're getting the port-dumped laserdisk
pre-Special Edition transfers from ten years ago--There t'warn't nothing
else in the vault.

Or, if you choose, check out the USA Today interview with a Lucas exec
who's clearly not happy about it either, but Gone is Gone.

Derek Janssen (but, hey, as long as they put both versions on, I can fit
it into my set)

M.B.

Sean Black wrote:

> What's the betting that in a year or two, when Lucas needs another cash
> injection they'll be re-released with an anamorphic transfer?

It's about as likely that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Impmon

On Thu, 18 May 2006 17:09:49 -0400, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you took the trouble to read today's Digital Bits, you'd find out
>that George Wasn't Kidding when he said "The prints were
>destroyed"...They WERE

And the market for illegal DVDs and VCDs with original unaltered
version will continue for sometime. I have 2 "collector's item" that
I bought about 15 years ago, each one had a single frame from the
film. I don't know if it is THE original or if it's copies that was
cut to make the display.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.