Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Irritating plastic cover over new blank disks

Irritating plastic cover over new blank disks

Pete L

Does anybody in the trade or just know why when I buy a box of blank
DVD's in jewel cases they are covered in plastic that I have to shout,
swear at and fight with to remove - whereas just get a spindle of 25
disks and they are not covered?

It must cost the companies some money to put this plastic stuff over
the disks yet as far as I can see serves no purpose other than annoying
the customer who just wants to use them!

Bratboy

"Pete L" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Does anybody in the trade or just know why when I buy a box of blank
> DVD's in jewel cases they are covered in plastic that I have to shout,
> swear at and fight with to remove - whereas just get a spindle of 25
> disks and they are not covered?
>
> It must cost the companies some money to put this plastic stuff over
> the disks yet as far as I can see serves no purpose other than annoying
> the customer who just wants to use them!

Since alot of companies sell single disc, 5 packs and spindels its prolly
just a cost cutting deal. Prolly cheaper for them to wrap all singles then
if need 3 for a box they have it and if someone just wants one they can pull
from same stock. Spindles are, IMHO, almost always the cheaper way to go but
you can also get some rewally crappy blanks with some of those generic
disc's. Their not as cheap as some but I have had excetionally good luck
with Verbatim Digital Movie blanks, cant recall a single dud actually plus
they have cool Movie reel art on one side hehe