Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Problems With Streaming On Some Sites

Problems With Streaming On Some Sites

bgregg

On some sites , such as CNN.com, I am instructed to install a plug-in to
access the content, but when I click on the bar, Firefox searches for
the plugin but can't find it. Of course, it works fine with IE7 Beta.
How can I find the plugin for Firefox? Thanks.

Riderhood

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:32:05 -0400, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
bgregg wrote:

> On some sites , such as CNN.com, I am instructed to install a plug-in to
> access the content, but when I click on the bar, Firefox searches for
> the plugin but can't find it.

I don't see the same as you do.

A. I go to http://cnn.com/
B. So far, no instruction to install a plug-in.
C. I click on one of the video links in "Latest News".
D. A pop-up window appears which says "The CNN.com video experience
is optimized for Windows media Player 9 or above". There is a
button image labelled "GET THE PLAYER", with a link to
http://www.windowsmedia.com/download . But there is no bar.
E. I click the button image, and a Firefox browser window opens at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx
From here I can download the Windows Media Player 9 installer.

You may want to read here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP

> Of course, it works fine with IE7 Beta.
> How can I find the plugin for Firefox? Thanks.

Got an exact URL where you see that bar which you wrote of?

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

bgregg

Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:32:05 -0400, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> bgregg wrote:
>
>> On some sites , such as CNN.com, I am instructed to install a plug-in to
>> access the content, but when I click on the bar, Firefox searches for
>> the plugin but can't find it.

> I don't see the same as you do.
>
> A. I go to http://cnn.com/
> B. So far, no instruction to install a plug-in.
> C. I click on one of the video links in "Latest News".
> D. A pop-up window appears which says "The CNN.com video experience
> is optimized for Windows media Player 9 or above". There is a
> button image labelled "GET THE PLAYER", with a link to
> http://www.windowsmedia.com/download . But there is no bar.
> E. I click the button image, and a Firefox browser window opens at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx
> From here I can download the Windows Media Player 9 installer.
>
> You may want to read here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
>

>> Of course, it works fine with IE7 Beta.
>> How can I find the plugin for Firefox? Thanks.

> Got an exact URL where you see that bar which you wrote of?
>
>> Riderhood

I tried the CNN site again, and now it does work. I really I was
getting the "can't find plug-in" on some other sites. I'll check it out
carefully on my next try. Thanks for your help.

Riderhood