Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Please Help, I am about to go nuts, Cisco 7940

Please Help, I am about to go nuts, Cisco 7940

RH

Anyone good with cisco phone, I am going nuts here

Just got a secon user 7940 from ebay,a nd can not for the life of me getting
thing to work in SIP mode
Its a 7940G unit with App loaded P00305000300 which is call manager I thing

Googling around I understand all I need to configure it with latest firmware
is have TFTP server
place the SIP files and away it goes

Via Asterisk@home I have placed the files and teh config files

Now when I reboot the phone it get to the stage
defauting CM to TFTP server
Regsitration rejected

Where is this rejection happening?

I am a bit confused by an entry in the SIP<MAC ADDRESS>.cnf where it talks
about
Phone prompt/password for telnet/console session, what login and password is
this for, and how do I know what it is

RH

"RH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5rsi0$9es$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone good with cisco phone, I am going nuts here
> I am a bit confused by an entry in the SIP<MAC ADDRESS>.cnf where it talks
> about
> Phone prompt/password for telnet/console session, what login and password
> is this for, and how do I know what it is

Typical, just after sent the message Got it passed that stage , now stuck
in a protocol Application invalid message

TheMgt

RH wrote:
> "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e5rsi0$9es$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone good with cisco phone, I am going nuts here
>> I am a bit confused by an entry in the SIP<MAC ADDRESS>.cnf where it talks
>> about
>> Phone prompt/password for telnet/console session, what login and password
>> is this for, and how do I know what it is

> Typical, just after sent the message Got it passed that stage , now stuck
> in a protocol Application invalid message

Ah, the 'useless brick' stage.

Do you have a 'XMLDefault.cnf.xml' file? It should look something like this.

<Default>
<callManagerGroup>
<members>
<member priority="0">
<callManager>
<ports>
<ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>
<mgcpPorts>
<listen>2427</listen>
<keepAlive>2428</keepAlive>
</mgcpPorts>
</ports>
<processNodeName></processNodeName>
</callManager>
</member>
</members>
</callManagerGroup>
<loadInformation6 model="IP Phone 7910"></loadInformation6>
<loadInformation124 model="Addon 7914"></loadInformation124>
<loadInformation9 model="IP Phone 7935"></loadInformation9>
<loadInformation8 model="IP Phone 7940">P0S3-07-4-00</loadInformation8>
<loadInformation7 model="IP Phone 7960"></loadInformation7>
<loadInformation20000 model="IP Phone 7905"></loadInformation20000>
<loadInformation30008 model="IP Phone 7902"></loadInformation30008>
<loadInformation30007 model="IP Phone 7912"></loadInformation30007>
<authenticationURL></authenticationURL>
<directoryURL></directoryURL>
<idleURL></idleURL>
<informationURL></informationURL>
<messagesURL></messagesURL>
<servicesURL></servicesURL>
</Default>

The 'P0S3-07-4-00' should be changed to the version of the sip firmware
you're trying to load. Presumably P0S3-08-2-00.

It helps if you can watch the logs of your TFTP server so you can see
what the phone is looking for. Case of filenames sometimes matters.

RH

> The 'P0S3-07-4-00' should be changed to the version of the sip firmware
> you're trying to load. Presumably P0S3-08-2-00.
>
> It helps if you can watch the logs of your TFTP server so you can see
> what the phone is looking for. Case of filenames sometimes matters.

Thanks greatfully for the help

Yes I did have the that file, looking at the logs it is requesting
CTLSEP<MAC>.tlv

I readsomewhere that that you could just use a null name and that would
work, but that does not
if I do it find the file but just carries on saying protocol application
invalid

Aragghh this is horrible!

TheMgt

RH wrote:

> Yes I did have the that file, looking at the logs it is requesting
> CTLSEP<MAC>.tlv
>
> I readsomewhere that that you could just use a null name and that would
> work, but that does not
> if I do it find the file but just carries on saying protocol application
> invalid

There's a few suggestions on this page if you've not found it already.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/F...on+7940+-+7960

RH

"TheMgt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rikgg.80369$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> RH wrote:
>
>> Yes I did have the that file, looking at the logs it is requesting
>> CTLSEP<MAC>.tlv
>>
>> I readsomewhere that that you could just use a null name and that would
>> work, but that does not
>> if I do it find the file but just carries on saying protocol application
>> invalid

> There's a few suggestions on this page if you've not found it already.
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/F...on+7940+-+7960

Yep followed that earlier and still had the problem, I thought I a good
thing to do would be to do a factory reset so I followed
the instructions also on the age forcing the system to factory set its
networking settings but still locked with the universal application loader
and protocol invalid settings with no hope of getting new firmware files to
the unit.

I have tested some god awful chinese phones which I have pretty much thrown
away, but they were much better than this cisco unit!

Ron Lowe

>> protocol application invalid

I had this error recently when upgrading a 7940 from SCCP 3.x to SIP 8.2.
( I'm working from memory here, the phone system is at a different
location. )

I dumped the 8.2 SIP firmware in the TFTP root, along with an XMLDefault
file I cut-and-pasted from here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index....one+cisco+79xx

I edited the 7940 entry to point to the ver 8.2 firmware filename (
un-edited line shown below )
<loadInformation8 model="Cisco 7940">P00308000100</loadInformation8>

I also had SIPDefault and SIP<mac-address> config files too.
Ensure these point to the 8.2 firmware image too.

This *should* be all you need to get the firmware upgraded.

When the phone booted, it picked up the TFTP server address from DHCP.
It looks like you've got that far.

At this point, it upgraded the application loader, but then failed to
upgrade the actual application.
It errored out with 'protocol application invalid'

I screwed around for a while, and the thing I did in the end that fixed it
was this:

I edited the XMLDefault file.
I seem to remember that the instructions had me point it to the P00... file,
as in the above example.( look in the firmware zip for the exact name ), but
after I changed it to point to the P0S- filename instead, it suddenly
worked. The phone went to 'upgrading application', and then it was done.

Another phone I upgraded later complained about that, and I had to re-set
the XMLDefault to point to the P00.. file again.

Either way, all the phones upgraded in the end!

--
Ron

RH

> I edited the XMLDefault file.
> I seem to remember that the instructions had me point it to the P00...
> file, as in the above example.( look in the firmware zip for the exact
> name ), but after I changed it to point to the P0S- filename instead, it
> suddenly worked. The phone went to 'upgrading application', and then it
> was done.
>
> Another phone I upgraded later complained about that, and I had to re-set
> the XMLDefault to point to the P00.. file again.
>
> Either way, all the phones upgraded in the end!
>
> --
> Ron

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated, I will try what you suggest

RH

"Ron Lowe" <ron-msng@{d.e.l.e.t.e}lowe-family.me.uk> wrote in message
news:4481fec5$0$658$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> protocol application invalid

> I had this error recently when upgrading a 7940 from SCCP 3.x to SIP 8.2.
> ( I'm working from memory here, the phone system is at a different
> location. )
>
> I dumped the 8.2 SIP firmware in the TFTP root, along with an XMLDefault
> file I cut-and-pasted from here:
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index....one+cisco+79xx
>
> I edited the 7940 entry to point to the ver 8.2 firmware filename (
> un-edited line shown below )
> <loadInformation8 model="Cisco 7940">P00308000100</loadInformation8>
>
> I also had SIPDefault and SIP<mac-address> config files too.
> Ensure these point to the 8.2 firmware image too.
>
> This *should* be all you need to get the firmware upgraded.
>
> When the phone booted, it picked up the TFTP server address from DHCP.
> It looks like you've got that far.
>
> At this point, it upgraded the application loader, but then failed to
> upgrade the actual application.
> It errored out with 'protocol application invalid'
>
> I screwed around for a while, and the thing I did in the end that fixed it
> was this:
>
> I edited the XMLDefault file.
> I seem to remember that the instructions had me point it to the P00...
> file, as in the above example.( look in the firmware zip for the exact
> name ), but after I changed it to point to the P0S- filename instead, it
> suddenly worked. The phone went to 'upgrading application', and then it
> was done.
>
> Another phone I upgraded later complained about that, and I had to re-set
> the XMLDefault to point to the P00.. file again.
>
> Either way, all the phones upgraded in the end!

Thanks for your help, I did have the phone picking up from the TFTP server
however after
i reset the the phone (this just seems to have lost the config settings and
turned on everything to DHCP) I think I have lost the conectivity to the
TFTP server, to be honest Setting up DHCP server for a TFTPserver seems
somewhat complex, none of the simple DHCP server have the option or TFTP
or documentation to explain what value is set for the DHCP server, on Magik
DHCP teh value appears not to be an IP address so I am very confused

Anyone know of any companies which can service these phone?

Ron Lowe

>Setting up DHCP server for a TFTPserver seems somewhat complex, none of
>the simple DHCP server have the option for TFTP

This one does, and it also has a tftp server built-in too:

http://home.foni.net/~hanewin/dhcp/dhcp.htm

I've used this on a simple LAN ( 1 laptop, 1 hub, 1 7940 phone ) to upgrade
this model phone.
Just configure the PC with a static IP address, set up a basic DHCP scope,
and configure Boot Server IP address in the DHCP options to point to itself.

Use the log viewer to see what files the phone is requesting over TFTP.

--
Ron