Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > machine language

machine language

=?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=

Hi all!
Does anyone out there know if there's a way to convert the lowest form of
language
(machine language) to readable text or html?
--
leonard

<< While I was at work, leonard spurted out:
> Hi all!
> Does anyone out there know if there's a way to convert the lowest
> form of language
> (machine language) to readable text or html?

Nope, no way possible. Nobody has ever thought about or tried it. Maybe, if you
invent a way, you'll be rich....just like BillyG.

--
BD
MCNGP #00110011

Gorm Braarvig

Yep, it's called assembly language.
Contains mnemonics (commands), register names, operators, addresses and
values describing the machine-code.
No need to convert it though, since you can see it translated as you step
through the program with any native debugger. If you don't have a modern
debugger, just start a command-window and try the program debug.exe, the
command you are looking for is 'u'

sample:

Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
; Converts to assembly-language
MOV AX,4C01h
INT 21
; end of assembly-language

I strongly suggest higer level languages for large tasks, since life is of
limited duration.

"leonard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all!
> Does anyone out there know if there's a way to convert the lowest form of
> language
> (machine language) to readable text or html?
> --
> leonard

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTdHJvaGVja2Vy?=

Do a quick google search for decompilers or reverse compiling. That's your
best bet.
--
John Strohecker, MCSE

"leonard" wrote:

> Hi all!
> Does anyone out there know if there's a way to convert the lowest form of
> language
> (machine language) to readable text or html?
> --
> leonard

Jim Nugent

In news:Ow83$(E-Mail Removed),
Gorm Braarvig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
> ; Converts to assembly-language
> MOV AX,4C01h
> INT 21
> ; end of assembly-language
>
> ... life is of limited duration.

Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then INT 21
into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in YOUR
AL be 00h?
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

Gorm Braarvig

>> Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
>> ; Converts to assembly-language
>> MOV AX,4C01h
>> INT 21
>> ; end of assembly-language
>>
>> ... life is of limited duration.

> Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then INT 21
> into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in YOUR
> AL be 00h?
> --

No. Code is buggy.

Either
MOV AX,4C01h
INT 21h
or
MOV AX,4C01
INT 21
would be better, of course,
MOV AX,4C01h
INT 21
looks much like
MOV AX,4C01h
INT 15h
to me, so with regards to AL, I would have to say: "don't know", I don't
remember what "INT 15h" does.

Jim Nugent

In news:%(E-Mail Removed),
Gorm Braarvig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Machine-code "B8014CCD21"
>>> ; Converts to assembly-language
>>> MOV AX,4C01h
>>> INT 21
>>> ; end of assembly-language
>>>
>>> ... life is of limited duration.

>> Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then
>> INT 21 into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in
>> YOUR
>> AL be 00h?
>> --

> No. Code is buggy.
>
> Either
> MOV AX,4C01h
> INT 21h
> or
> MOV AX,4C01
> INT 21
> would be better, of course,
> MOV AX,4C01h
> INT 21
> looks much like
> MOV AX,4C01h
> INT 15h
> to me, so with regards to AL, I would have to say: "don't know", I
> don't remember what "INT 15h" does.

I didn't remember either but it looks it orginally translated a keyboard
scan code (function 4F) and later was extended to do all sorts of things
like "get the entire system memory map"(?!), with 16 bit function code E820.

Well, I made it a bit poetic, but as for my code, this site claims it will
work:

http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/language/language.htm

MOV AL,00 ; yes, AL = return code
MOV AH,4C ; AH = DOS service 4CH Terminate with return code
INT 21 ; call DOS

I did it pretty much from memory (mine) last evening it was the function 4Ch
that caught my eye. Too bad you can't Google a paperback book. could have
coded MOV AX, 4C00 but I separated AH (funcion) and AL (return code) for
emphasis. IIRC a return code of zero was "OK" while others were errors.

BTW you may enjoy the following link. It's an analysis of the EICAR AV test
string --- it's actually machine code. If you temporarily disable your AV,
put the string in a text file, save it to eicar.com, and run it from a
command prompt, it prints out:

'EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!'

See: http://thestarman.dan123.com/asm/eicar/eicarcom.html. You can d/l the
eicar file from there as well. FWIW it exits "DOS" the old way --- INT 20h
(registers ignored).
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

Gorm Braarvig

>>> Yes, friends, sooner or later we all load 4Ch into our AH, and then
>>> INT 21 into the sunset. When the end comes, will the result code in
>>> YOUR
>>> AL be 00h?
>>> --

>> No. Code is buggy.
>>
>> Either
>> MOV AX,4C01h
>> INT 21h
>> or
>> MOV AX,4C01
>> INT 21
>> would be better, of course,
>> MOV AX,4C01h
>> INT 21
>> looks much like
>> MOV AX,4C01h
>> INT 15h
>> to me, so with regards to AL, I would have to say: "don't know", I
>> don't remember what "INT 15h" does.

> I didn't remember either but it looks it orginally translated a keyboard
> scan code (function 4F) and later was extended to do all sorts of things
> like "get the entire system memory map"(?!), with 16 bit function code
> E820.
>
> Well, I made it a bit poetic, but as for my code, this site claims it will
> work:
>
> http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/language/language.htm

a bit disappointing link, I was hoping to find an assembly implementation of
huffman encoding...

> MOV AL,00 ; yes, AL = return code
> MOV AH,4C ; AH = DOS service 4CH Terminate with return code
> INT 21 ; call DOS
>
> I did it pretty much from memory (mine) last evening it was the function
> 4Ch
> that caught my eye. Too bad you can't Google a paperback book. could
> have
> coded MOV AX, 4C00 but I separated AH (funcion) and AL (return code) for
> emphasis. IIRC a return code of zero was "OK" while others were errors.

oh, what I tried to say was that an 'h' was missing (INT 21 vs INT 21h) or
added unneccessary (AX, 4Cxxh), I used TASM in the old days, and I believe
there was a pragma of sort to set hex as default, so code might not have
been buggy, only fairly unclear, INT 21d would be more of an obvious
mistake.

> BTW you may enjoy the following link. It's an analysis of the EICAR AV
> test
> string --- it's actually machine code. If you temporarily disable your
> AV,
> put the string in a text file, save it to eicar.com, and run it from a
> command prompt, it prints out:
>
> 'EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!'

nice one.

=?Utf-8?B?bGVvbmFyZA==?=

Thanks all: what it boils down to is your need an assembler: thanks again
--
leonard

"John Strohecker" wrote:

> Do a quick google search for decompilers or reverse compiling. That's your
> best bet.
> --
> John Strohecker, MCSE
>

> "leonard" wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> > Does anyone out there know if there's a way to convert the lowest form of
> > language
> > (machine language) to readable text or html?
> > --
> > leonard

Gorm Braarvig

You have one: debug.exe. You could look for masm or tasm too. Visual Studio
is my prefered editor. If you know C, inline assembly is nice (asm or
__asm).