Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Console Cable Over 200'

Console Cable Over 200'

Harley D.

I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
or method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Harley D. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
:a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
r method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

Lower the port speed. The slower you go, the further you can run RS232.

I would not have thought 200' should be a difficulty in a typical
environment, if you have hardware flow control turned on and are
going no more than 38400 bps. In my experience, 9600 bps would
very likely work at 200' unless the environment has a lot of
electrical noise.

What problems are you seeing? If you are not getting any output
at all, then you likely have some other problem. If your run was
too long for RS232 then the symptoms would tend to be visible noise on
the line rendering the line too unreliable for use.
--
"Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

S. Gione

One possibility is the pin-out.

The pin-out for a console cable is different than 568A or 568B which is used
on station cable.

If you have a console cable at one end of the connection pin-out should not
be the problem. If you are just making a connection with a 200 foot drop
cable, this might be the problem.

Pin-out for console cable is:

1-8
2-6
3-2
1+5-5
6-3
7-4
8-7

"Harley D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
> a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
> or method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

Brad Hill

It's also true that shielded cable gives you longer range than
unshielded, and also line drivers can also extend the range of serial
cable runs also. But I expect you want to use an existing run of UTP
Cat5, right?

> "Harley D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
> > a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
> > or method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

Dale Farmer

"Harley D." wrote:

> I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
> a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
> or method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

Slow down the port speed. Use a real serial data cable that meets the
RS232 spec. ( Cat five is close but not exact. ) Line drivers may also
be needed.

--Dale