Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > any relational APIs for RMS? (MIDP storage)

any relational APIs for RMS? (MIDP storage)

Alex Hunsley

I've googled for this and found nothing, but thought it worth asking here...

On the MIDP mobile java platform, RMS (Record Management System) allows
a very basic permanent storage mechanism for 'records' that consist of
byte arrays. I was wondering if anyone knows of a relational database
style API that sits on top of this? Not hard to do, but would prefer to
reuse rather than rewrite!
(I'm not looking for full blown SQL queries or anything like that, just
would like to be able to have tables in a database, and do queries based
on column values by calling an API, and have simple join support (i.e.
foreign keys)).

dimitar

I don't think so. What kind of application are you developing? If it is
a game, you'll strip away everything that you can go without when you
get in the bytecode-shrinking phase, so don't bother with fancy APIs
that waste method-descriptor bytes.