Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Routing SNA and IP

Routing SNA and IP

Olivier Reymond

Hi everyone,

I have two routers (3620 with IOS 12.2(17a) and 2650 with IOS 12.2(13)T5) on
a dedicated line.

I want to route both IP and SNA for use beetween two IBM AS/400.

No problem with IP, but how i can route SNA ?

Many thanks,

Olivier

Ivan Ostres

"Olivier Reymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f93ceac$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have two routers (3620 with IOS 12.2(17a) and 2650 with IOS 12.2(13)T5)

on
> a dedicated line.
>
> I want to route both IP and SNA for use beetween two IBM AS/400.
>
> No problem with IP, but how i can route SNA ?

You can't because SNA does not have an explicit network address. You can
bridge it while still routing IP. The best way, IMHO would be to use DLSw+
so SNA would go "over" IP and you have to deal with just IP. Also, if
network has a lot of traffic and small bandwidth, consider some QoS because
your session's will have timeout problems (personal expirience, thanks for
asking).

Ivan

Brad Hill

> You can't because SNA does not have an explicit network address. You can
> bridge it while still routing IP. The best way, IMHO would be to use DLSw+
> so SNA would go "over" IP and you have to deal with just IP. Also, if
> network has a lot of traffic and small bandwidth, consider some QoS because
> your session's will have timeout problems (personal expirience, thanks for
> asking).

OK so call me a nitpicker, but SNA is in fact routable, and does have
network addresses. It's just that it's not supported on Cisco IOS, you
can't route it on IOS, and so we have to bridge it.

SNA Path Control Layer is perfectly routable, and uses Subarea/Element
instead of Subnet/Host.

SNA Rules!!

Ivan Ostres

"Brad Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > You can't because SNA does not have an explicit network address. You can
> > bridge it while still routing IP. The best way, IMHO would be to use

DLSw+
> > so SNA would go "over" IP and you have to deal with just IP. Also, if
> > network has a lot of traffic and small bandwidth, consider some QoS

because
> > your session's will have timeout problems (personal expirience, thanks

for
> > asking).

> OK so call me a nitpicker, but SNA is in fact routable, and does have
> network addresses. It's just that it's not supported on Cisco IOS, you
> can't route it on IOS, and so we have to bridge it.
>
> SNA Path Control Layer is perfectly routable, and uses Subarea/Element
> instead of Subnet/Host.
>
> SNA Rules!!

hehehe, I knew that I'll hurt some SNA guy feelings . Sorry....

Ivan

Hugo Drax

"Olivier Reymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f93ceac$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have two routers (3620 with IOS 12.2(17a) and 2650 with IOS 12.2(13)T5)

on
> a dedicated line.
>
> I want to route both IP and SNA for use beetween two IBM AS/400.
>
> No problem with IP, but how i can route SNA ?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Olivier

DLSW+

bridging SNA 3550 2950 Sebastien Mazeau Cisco 4 02-02-2006 06:46 AM
Cisco Router / SNA / Frontendprocessor / RJE D. Scherbarth Cisco 1 04-09-2004 01:34 AM
Bridging SNA via DLSW Tom Pouce Cisco 2 12-10-2003 09:11 AM
SNA and Ethertypes Tom Pouce Cisco 0 12-05-2003 01:36 PM
Simulating SNA Traffic Geert Nijs Cisco 1 11-26-2003 10:11 AM

Advertisments