Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VoIPCheap Query

Reply
Thread Tools

VoIPCheap Query

 
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
Jono brought next idea :
> Iceman used his keyboard to write :
>> linker3000 wrote:
>>> Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how much
>>> did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.
>>>
>>> Ta
>>>
>>> L3K

>>
>> No probs!
>> I got mine from www.qtds.com and I paid 33.99 plus VAT and delivery.
>> It came to 46.40 total.
>>
>> Mike

>
> Have they stopped selling them? Or am I missing something?


Forget it.......thought you were referring to another manufacturer's
3000


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
It happens that Iceman formulated :
> linker3000 wrote:
>> Iceman wrote:
>>> linker3000 wrote:
>>>> Just out of interest, from where did you purchase your 3000 and how much
>>>> did you pay - I'm possibly after a few.
>>>>
>>>> Ta
>>>>
>>>> L3K
>>>
>>> No probs!
>>> I got mine from www.qtds.com and I paid 33.99 plus VAT and delivery.
>>> It came to 46.40 total.
>>>
>>> Mike

>> Thanks - I was thinking of using qtds - I am also hanging out for the 4000
>> to be available but the ship date from Safecom keeps slipping. I'm using 3
>> of the 5000s at the mo and have just ordered 10 more.

>
> Yup I wanted a 4000 too but it sounds like it might be new and there's no
> sign of first shipping yet.
>
> So, Is anyone going to tell me how to call somebody elses VoIPCheap from my
> SIP phone?
>
> I think I'm going to assume for now that phone numbers are the only option
> and usernames are not supported. So I can only talk to people who have a
> voip-in number then...


Unless they ring your username, of course.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
"Iceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:448162c4$(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> So, Is anyone going to tell me how to call somebody elses
> VoIPCheap from my SIP phone?
>
> I think I'm going to assume for now that phone numbers
> are the only option and usernames are not supported. So I
> can only talk to people who have a voip-in number then...


I already answered your question, see my post of 0216 02/6/06.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Iceman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Iceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:448162c4$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
>> So, Is anyone going to tell me how to call somebody elses
>> VoIPCheap from my SIP phone?
>>
>> I think I'm going to assume for now that phone numbers
>> are the only option and usernames are not supported. So I
>> can only talk to people who have a voip-in number then...

>
> I already answered your question, see my post of 0216 02/6/06.
>
> Ivor
>
>


Ivor,
I cant see it, could you repost here please.

Cheers
Mike
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006


"Iceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > "Iceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:448162c4$(E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > So, Is anyone going to tell me how to call somebody
> > > elses VoIPCheap from my SIP phone?
> > >
> > > I think I'm going to assume for now that phone numbers
> > > are the only option and usernames are not supported.
> > > So I can only talk to people who have a voip-in
> > > number then...

> >
> > I already answered your question, see my post of 0216
> > 02/6/06. Ivor
> >
> >

>
> Ivor,
> I cant see it, could you repost here please.
>
> Cheers
> Mike

"Iceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:447f612b$(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi forum.


Erm.. this is a newsgroup not a forum but never mind

> I am totally new to VoIP and SIP and need to ask some
> questions. I have an account with voipcheap.co.uk and I have been
> using their PC software for a few weeks now.
> I wanted to be able to make and receive calls all the
> time without my PC switched on so I replaced my USB modem
> with a Broadband router and bought myself a SIP phone -
> its a Safecom SDSIP-3000. I configured the phone with my voipcheap
> details,
> username, password, domain voipcheap.com, proxy server
> sip.voipcheap.com. I can make calls to normal phone numbers okay
> (voip-out)
> and I can receive calls from normal phones via my
> voipcheap allocated voip-in number. All that works okay.
> But how the hell do I make voip to voip calls?


If the person you are calling is using the same VoIP provider as you or is
with a provider with whom yours has a peering agreement, then the call is
free whether you dial the allocated phone number or the SIP address.

> The voipcheap PC software enables you to make calls to
> other voipcheap users without touching the PSTN -
> excellent sound quality because its not being constrained
> by the audio bandwidth of the PSTN. Lets say for the sake of this
> conversation my friend's
> voipcheap username is "wibble".
> Using the PC software I can call wibble using my speakers
> and microphone. I have tried putting wibble into my SIP
> phone's phonebook. I have also tried "(E-Mail Removed)" and
> "(E-Mail Removed)" but none of these works.
> (I did tell you Im new to voip and SIP - assume I know
> nothing!)


Does the voipcheap site not give you any of this information..? I do not
use them so know little about them, but I would have thought they would
have had at least minimal setup information on their site..?

> Perhaps SIP only supports phone-number based calling? I
> dont know.


No, if your equipment supports it you can call using the full SIP address;
I use Sipgate, so if you want to call me, assuming my address is
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) you would call that. Try it, it's a real number and
routes to my speaking clock..! It can also be reached on the phone number
020 7043 1320, try both and see if the phone number gets charged for (no
way of telling you otherwise, sorry..!)

> How do I call another voipcheap user without using the
> PSTN?


Using a PSTN number does not automatically mean the call is routed over
the PSTN, get that idea out of your head. It may end up being delivered
over PSTN if there is no peering agreement between providers, but it
doesn't have to be.

> If I get them to apply for a voip-in number from
> voipcheap and I call that number using my SIP phone, can
> I assume the voipcheap SIP server is clever enough to
> know its the number of another voipcheap user and route
> it straight to them without going anywhere near the PSTN?


As I said above, using a PSTN number does NOT mean the call is being
routed that way. If the person you are calling is on the same system or is
available on a peering agreement, then it will be a free call, which is
the important bit..!

> Can anyone validate my assumptions, answer my questions,
> or teach me all I need to know about voip and SIP?


www.voxilla.com is a good place to start, there are others but that site
is a good one.

Ivor



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
Ivor Jones expressed precisely :

> If the person you are calling is using the same VoIP provider as you or is
> with a provider with whom yours has a peering agreement, then the call is
> free whether you dial the allocated phone number or the SIP address.
>


Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree........

That doesn't help if the person he is calling doesn't have a "VoipIn"
PSTN number for him to call - perhaps they only have a "username"?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006


"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) yonder.com.co.uk
> Ivor Jones expressed precisely :
>
> > If the person you are calling is using the same VoIP
> > provider as you or is with a provider with whom yours
> > has a peering agreement, then the call is free whether
> > you dial the allocated phone number or the SIP address.

>
> Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree........
>
> That doesn't help if the person he is calling doesn't
> have a "VoipIn" PSTN number for him to call - perhaps
> they only have a "username"?


(E-Mail Removed)..? Although apart from Skype I don't know of any
system which doesn't allocate a diallable phone number. (Yes I know Skype
has the facility but it isn't automatically given when you open an
account). Having said that, FWD isn't directly reachable from the PSTN
except by use of alternative services, unless they've changed recently,
not used my FWD account for a while.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
Ivor Jones explained :
>
> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) yonder.com.co.uk
>> Ivor Jones expressed precisely :
>>
>> > If the person you are calling is using the same VoIP
>> > provider as you or is with a provider with whom yours
>> > has a peering agreement, then the call is free whether
>> > you dial the allocated phone number or the SIP address.

>>
>> Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree........
>>
>> That doesn't help if the person he is calling doesn't
>> have a "VoipIn" PSTN number for him to call - perhaps
>> they only have a "username"?

>
> (E-Mail Removed)..? Although apart from Skype I don't know of any system
> which doesn't allocate a diallable phone number. (Yes I know Skype has the
> facility but it isn't automatically given when you open an account). Having
> said that, FWD isn't directly reachable from the PSTN except by use of
> alternative services, unless they've changed recently, not used my FWD
> account for a while.
>
> Ivor


Yeah, but if you read Iceman's request again, you would, I think
realise, that you've not /quite/ answered his question.

He's tried what you suggest and can't get it to work, which is why he
asked in the first place.

Too much snippy snip, methinks


 
Reply With Quote
 
Iceman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2006
Jono wrote:
> Ivor Jones explained :
>>
>> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) yonder.com.co.uk
>>> Ivor Jones expressed precisely :
>>>
>>> > If the person you are calling is using the same VoIP
>>> > provider as you or is with a provider with whom yours
>>> > has a peering agreement, then the call is free whether
>>> > you dial the allocated phone number or the SIP address.
>>>
>>> Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree........
>>>
>>> That doesn't help if the person he is calling doesn't
>>> have a "VoipIn" PSTN number for him to call - perhaps
>>> they only have a "username"?

>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)..? Although apart from Skype I don't know of any
>> system which doesn't allocate a diallable phone number. (Yes I know
>> Skype has the facility but it isn't automatically given when you open
>> an account). Having said that, FWD isn't directly reachable from the
>> PSTN except by use of alternative services, unless they've changed
>> recently, not used my FWD account for a while.
>>
>> Ivor

>
> Yeah, but if you read Iceman's request again, you would, I think
> realise, that you've not /quite/ answered his question.
>
> He's tried what you suggest and can't get it to work, which is why he
> asked in the first place.
>
> Too much snippy snip, methinks
>
>


That's right, I put my friend's (E-Mail Removed) into my phone's
phonebook. When I tried to call him, it did 3 beeps like as if a numeric
phonenumber then stopped and nothing happens for about 40 seconds then I
get "time out" on the phone's display and a beep beep beep as if engaged.

If I just dial his real number, a Manchester code 0044161 etc etc the
call would be free anyway because voipcheap calls to geographical
numbers are free, but that's not the point. I'm a perfectionist and I
love a challenge, and I'm going to phone the bugger voip to voip if its
the last thing I do!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
aap
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2006

"Iceman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:447f612b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried putting wibble into my SIP phone's phonebook.
> I have also tried "(E-Mail Removed)" and "(E-Mail Removed)"
> but none of these works.


Try wibble@her_publicipnumber

Cheers,
Jack


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voipcheap.co.uk -> "Sorry - VoipCheap temporarily unavailable" News Reader UK VOIP 0 11-26-2006 07:27 AM
voipcheap.com and voipcheap.co.uk - comparison Paul UK VOIP 2 09-04-2006 12:58 PM
VoIPCheap, VoIPBuster, Windows 98SE Franc Zabkar VOIP 7 01-07-2006 09:43 PM
VoIPCheap.co.uk and IaxComm wakaru VOIP 1 11-03-2005 02:05 AM
voipcheap and asterisk Eddie VOIP 0 08-04-2005 10:18 PM



Advertisments