Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > How do i avoid newsreaders and get at the rss myself?

How do i avoid newsreaders and get at the rss myself?

digger440uk

I was using http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/ to obtain
the rss feed of world news from Reuters. I was running a vb.net app
that would grab the file every 15 minutes, do some manipulation and
then thump the data into mysql. Now feedburner have blocked direct
access to the feed and advise me to download a newsreader. I've briefly
played around with newsreaders in the past but couldn't see the use for
them from a developers point of view. Is there a solution where i can
run a newsreader on my server and that dumps the rss to a local source
where my existing application can pick it up and run with it?

Andy Dingley

digger440uk wrote:
> I was using http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/ to obtain
> the rss feed of world news from Reuters. I was running a vb.net app
> that would grab the file every 15 minutes, do some manipulation and
> then thump the data into mysql. Now feedburner have blocked direct
> access to the feed and advise me to download a newsreader.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/
is still returning the raw RSS to me (Firefox). They've also stuck a
client-side stylesheet on top of it, so that your browser's default
presentation of it will be in HTML, not as raw RSS. However I still
have just as much programmatic "access" to the RSS content as ever.

>Is there a solution where i can run a newsreader on my server and that dumps the rss

Try playing with different user-agent strings in your feed reader
client, ones that don't look like well-known web browsers.

digger440uk

thanks andy

doh. i suddenly feel quite stupid. i should have looked at the source
before posting.

i suppose it's off topic now, but is there a newsreader out there that
does a scheduled rss grab then dumps to a local file?

Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> digger440uk wrote:
> > I was using http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/ to obtain
> > the rss feed of world news from Reuters. I was running a vb.net app
> > that would grab the file every 15 minutes, do some manipulation and
> > then thump the data into mysql. Now feedburner have blocked direct
> > access to the feed and advise me to download a newsreader.

> http://feeds.feedburner.com/reuters/worldNews/
> is still returning the raw RSS to me (Firefox). They've also stuck a
> client-side stylesheet on top of it, so that your browser's default
> presentation of it will be in HTML, not as raw RSS. However I still
> have just as much programmatic "access" to the RSS content as ever.
>
> >Is there a solution where i can run a newsreader on my server and that dumps the rss

> Try playing with different user-agent strings in your feed reader
> client, ones that don't look like well-known web browsers.

Peter Flynn

digger440uk wrote:
> thanks andy
>
> doh. i suddenly feel quite stupid. i should have looked at the source
> before posting.
>
> i suppose it's off topic now, but is there a newsreader out there that
> does a scheduled rss grab then dumps to a local file?

Add this to your crontab:

5 0,6,12,18 * * * wget -O ~/file.xml http://some.rss.uri >>/tmp/wget.log

Adjust the minutes (here, 5 past the hour) and hours (here, four times a
day) and the file, URI, and log to your requirements.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/