Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > I need a very easy to use WYSIWYG editor, not a full-featured editor.

Reply
Thread Tools

I need a very easy to use WYSIWYG editor, not a full-featured editor.

 
 
I. Myself
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Can you recommend such an editor?

I have no experience with creating HTML files.

I only want to edit individual files, with hyperlinks pointing within
the same file. (so that clicking on a word will take you to it's
definition.

I've tried a couple of editors and they are waaayy to hard for a
beginner to use. They were too "full featured". I want something with
minimal features, but is trivially simple to use. The only reason I
want to use HTML instead of plain text is to hyperlink to definitions.

Thanks,

Mitchell Timin

--
I'm proud of http://ANNEvolve.sourceforge.net. If you want to write software,
or articles, or do testing or research for ANNEvolve, let me know.

Humans may know that my email address is: (but remove the 3 digit number)
zenguy at shaw666 dot ca


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Laplante
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
"I. Myself" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tIreg.202532$P01.147865@pd7tw3no...
> Can you recommend such an editor?


The old Frontpage Express is as simple as a word processor. The HTML is
dated but if you are keeping your page basic tags it should work fine. Don't
have a URL handy but Google should turn up a download site.

Also, almost any commercial word processor worth its salt should have the
ability to create internal links and export to HTML. You probably have one
on your computer right now.

M




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chaddy2222
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006

I. Myself wrote:
> Can you recommend such an editor?
>
> I have no experience with creating HTML files.
>
> I only want to edit individual files, with hyperlinks pointing within
> the same file. (so that clicking on a word will take you to it's
> definition.
>
> I've tried a couple of editors and they are waaayy to hard for a
> beginner to use. They were too "full featured". I want something with
> minimal features, but is trivially simple to use. The only reason I
> want to use HTML instead of plain text is to hyperlink to definitions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mitchell Timin

Try NVU http://www.nvu.com
--
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Michael Laplante wrote:
> "I. Myself" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tIreg.202532$P01.147865@pd7tw3no...
>> Can you recommend such an editor?

>
> The old Frontpage Express is as simple as a word processor. The HTML is
> dated but if you are keeping your page basic tags it should work fine. Don't
> have a URL handy but Google should turn up a download site.
>
> Also, almost any commercial word processor worth its salt should have the
> ability to create internal links and export to HTML. You probably have one
> on your computer right now.


If you are suggesting that he should use his MS Word to create web
pages, please, please, please don't. Word makes horrendous markup only
thing worse is MS Publisher!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Jonathan N. Little"
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:

> Word makes horrendous markup only thing worse is MS Publisher!


Ever seen HTML produced by Excel?

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Mark Parnell wrote:

> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Jonathan N. Little"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>
>> Word makes horrendous markup only thing worse is MS Publisher!

>
> Ever seen HTML produced by Excel?


I've read where the four worst HTML 'editors' are:

4. Microsoft FrontPage
3. Microsoft Word
2. Microsoft Excel
1. Microsoft Publisher

Let's give a rousing cheer for the team from Redmond!

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Mark Parnell wrote:
>
>> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Jonathan N. Little"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
>>
>>> Word makes horrendous markup only thing worse is MS Publisher!

>> Ever seen HTML produced by Excel?

>
> I've read where the four worst HTML 'editors' are:
>
> 4. Microsoft FrontPage
> 3. Microsoft Word
> 2. Microsoft Excel
> 1. Microsoft Publisher
>
> Let's give a rousing cheer for the team from Redmond!
>

#1 Publisher produces 'markup' (I will quote it because you have never
seen such code) that barely displays on IE and outright fails on
anything else. A friend of mine 'hired' one of her friends 'who knows
computers' to build a personal site for her. She asked me to check it
out...what could I say!

http://www.redskyibizans.com/

You will not see and image unless use use IE and with Konqueror you
don't even see any text! I wrote her friend with some tactful
suggestions, but must have still offended and never received a reply....

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chaddy2222
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> > Mark Parnell wrote:
> >
> >> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Jonathan N. Little"
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> declared in alt.html:
> >>
> >>> Word makes horrendous markup only thing worse is MS Publisher!
> >> Ever seen HTML produced by Excel?

> >
> > I've read where the four worst HTML 'editors' are:
> >
> > 4. Microsoft FrontPage
> > 3. Microsoft Word
> > 2. Microsoft Excel
> > 1. Microsoft Publisher
> >
> > Let's give a rousing cheer for the team from Redmond!
> >

> #1 Publisher produces 'markup' (I will quote it because you have never
> seen such code) that barely displays on IE and outright fails on
> anything else. A friend of mine 'hired' one of her friends 'who knows
> computers' to build a personal site for her. She asked me to check it
> out...what could I say!
>
> http://www.redskyibizans.com/
>
> You will not see and image unless use use IE and with Konqueror you
> don't even see any text! I wrote her friend with some tactful
> suggestions, but must have still offended and never received a reply

Yes well, that site did seam to be not very good, however a lot of code
produced by CMS's can be bad as well, http://www.sixdayrace.org.au
What do you think.
--
Regards Chad.
http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc

 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> I've read where the four worst HTML 'editors' are:
>>
>> 4. Microsoft FrontPage
>> 3. Microsoft Word
>> 2. Microsoft Excel
>> 1. Microsoft Publisher
>>
>> Let's give a rousing cheer for the team from Redmond!
>>

> #1 Publisher produces 'markup' (I will quote it because you have never
> seen such code)


> http://www.redskyibizans.com/


Heh, the main page is 16,520 lines, and the <body> element is on line
11,939 (in my text editor). 627KB of source, not counting images.

Please visit with extreme prejudice!

I see on the Contact Me page, there is a link to your LittleWorksStudio
pages. <g>

> You will not see and image


I searched the code for "<img" and none are found. Heh.

> unless use use IE and with Konqueror you don't even see any text!


Doesn't do squat in Opera either.

> I wrote her friend with some tactful
> suggestions, but must have still offended and never received a
> reply....


I am tempted to email a somewhat less than tactful critique...

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> I've read where the four worst HTML 'editors' are:
>>>
>>> 4. Microsoft FrontPage
>>> 3. Microsoft Word
>>> 2. Microsoft Excel
>>> 1. Microsoft Publisher
>>>
>>> Let's give a rousing cheer for the team from Redmond!
>>>

>> #1 Publisher produces 'markup' (I will quote it because you have never
>> seen such code)

>
>> http://www.redskyibizans.com/

>
> Heh, the main page is 16,520 lines, and the <body> element is on line
> 11,939 (in my text editor). 627KB of source, not counting images.
>
> Please visit with extreme prejudice!


ABSOLUTELY!

>
> I see on the Contact Me page, there is a link to your LittleWorksStudio
> pages. <g>


Yeah, I know! Poor Lu is a friend...I am trying to find a way to do her
site for free to save embarrassment but the situation is delicate she
actually *paid* her other friend for .. for ... for ... oh, I ma lost
for words as to what to call it!

>
>> You will not see and image

>
> I searched the code for "<img" and none are found. Heh.
>


You have to use IE, it is some sort of MS proprietary business maybe to
'protect' the images!

CODE:
</v:shape><v:rect id="_x0000_s1686" style='position:absolute;left:43.07pt;
top:467.99pt;width:255.85pt;height:201.64pt;z-index:86;
mso-wrap-distance-left:2.88pt;mso-wrap-distance-top:2.88pt;
mso-wrap-distance-right:2.88pt;mso-wrap-distance-bottom:2.88pt'
oreferrelative="t" filled="f" fillcolor="white [7]" stroked="f"
strokecolor="black [0]" o:cliptowrap="t">
<v:fill color2="white [7]"/>
<v:stroke color2="white [7]">
<o:left v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/>
<o:top v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/>
<o:right v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/>
<o:bottom v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/>
<o:column v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/>
</v:stroke>
<v:imagedata src="REDSKYIBIZANS424_files/image001.jpg"
o:title="LUsnephew"/>
<v:shadow color="red [4]"/>
<vath o:extrusionok="f" insetpenok="f"/>
<o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/>

Yes, yes, I see it! There is a JPG in there!

In addition the images are full size digital camera snaps that have been
scaled and not resampled (I'm stuck with dialup so this is a BIG issue!)

>> unless use use IE and with Konqueror you don't even see any text!

>
> Doesn't do squat in Opera either.
>
>> I wrote her friend with some tactful
>> suggestions, but must have still offended and never received a
>> reply....

>
> I am tempted to email a somewhat less than tactful critique...
>


Well, I tried to explain Publisher is for office flowcharts and not for
web publishing and offered links to NVu and IrfanViewer with my standard
tutorial on resolution and web graphics...but...

Maybe if the web 'designer' received enough 'critiques', she might be
more receptive to me advice.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
very very very long integer shanx__=|;- C Programming 19 10-19-2004 03:55 PM
very very very long integer Abhishek Jha C Programming 4 10-17-2004 08:19 AM
Very, very, easy question John Hoge ASP .Net 3 05-28-2004 07:10 AM
Quick Book file access very very very slow Thomas Reed Computer Support 7 04-09-2004 08:09 PM
very Very VERY dumb Question About The new Set( ) 's Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III Python 4 07-27-2003 12:09 AM



Advertisments