Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > FTP outward traffic causing "Unidentified IP traffic" error on ISA 2004 server connected to a PIX

FTP outward traffic causing "Unidentified IP traffic" error on ISA 2004 server connected to a PIX

quentinhudson@hotmail.com

We have a problem with outgoing FTP traffic going through our ISA 2004
server from one of our remote sites. It works absolutely fine from our
main office, but when the traffic originates from our regional office
(we connect to their Pix router via a VPN), it fails every time. The
error from her workstation is "Windows cannot access this folder. Make
sure you type the file name correctly, and that you have permission to
access the folder. Details: the operation timed out". The user has a
Windows XP PC but Windows firewall is switched off. There is a rule our
firewall to allow access from all our subnets (including those from our
regional office), so this should be applicable to all no matter what
their location, however as a test I created a new rule specifically for
the regional office subnet, which failed. I also started logging on the
ISA server, while the user tried this operation again, and the message
stated that the protocol was 'unidentified IP traffic' and the action
was 'closed connection' (the source network was confired as 'internal
however').

The guy who looks after the PIX is away at the moment, but I was
informed by others that it is not configured to block anything (indeed
if it was, there would be nothing hitting the ISA server). Something
seems to be distorting this traffic when it comes from the remote site,
and I don't know what it is.

Any thoughts?