Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Internet access in 5 rooms without pcs

Internet access in 5 rooms without pcs

Craig

Hi,

Sorry if this is off topic but I thought these groups would have
knowledgable people to advise on what I am looking for.

My mother runs a bed and breakfast with 5 rooms for guests. Last year I
setup a pc in the lounge for internet access for guests. It has proved so
popular that I think it would be good to have internet access in each
bedroom.

We have 1Mb broadband (adsl), a netgear adsl router and an 8 port switch.
There are currently two cat 5 cables(double socket) running to the lounge
for public pc broadand access.

I am looking at having internet access in each room but am looking for
different options available. I know the first step is to run cat5 to each
room and connect to switch. Rather than have a different computer in each
room, is there an option of having one computer(server) and somehow just
have a screen/monitor/keyboard in each room and somehow connecting it all up
to the cat5 connection. If different cabling required, that is n problem.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Craig

Kurt

You can use "thin clients", basically just bottom of the barrell computers
that connect to the "real" computer. You would need a server OS on the
server with enough licenses to cover the rooms. Hardware wise though, I
think you'd get off cheaper by just buying a bunch of re-cycled P3s or
something from eBay. Windows 98 and IE6 should work just fine for Internet.
Make sure the computers you buy have a license for at least Win98 / WinME.
The downside to doing it that way is that knowedgable people will pertty
much be able to do as they please with te computers. If you used Windows
2000 or XP Pro clients and a domain, you could lock them down to where
nothing on the workstations was accessible, the only icon on the desktop
pointed to Internet Explorer, and it actually started an RDP session on the
server. Cost-wise, this is much more expensive.

There are also lower-cost appliances that do Internet access only and
complete systems for lodging providers that handle billing and the whole
shot if you were intending to charge for the service. You'd have to check
out pricing.

....kurt

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought these groups would have
> knowledgable people to advise on what I am looking for.
>
> My mother runs a bed and breakfast with 5 rooms for guests. Last year I
> setup a pc in the lounge for internet access for guests. It has proved so
> popular that I think it would be good to have internet access in each
> bedroom.
>
> We have 1Mb broadband (adsl), a netgear adsl router and an 8 port switch.
> There are currently two cat 5 cables(double socket) running to the lounge
> for public pc broadand access.
>
> I am looking at having internet access in each room but am looking for
> different options available. I know the first step is to run cat5 to each
> room and connect to switch. Rather than have a different computer in each
> room, is there an option of having one computer(server) and somehow just
> have a screen/monitor/keyboard in each room and somehow connecting it all
> up to the cat5 connection. If different cabling required, that is n
> problem.
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBTdHJvaGVja2Vy?=

Save yourself time, money, and effort. Buy a wireless router and install it.
It will take about 10 minutes. If you want to control access to the router
encrypt the connection using WEP and give the password to your guests if/when
they ask for it...but IMO that is unnecessary.

Most hotels these days offer free wireless, so any patrons you have who
travel frequently will simply expect this.

I would personnally avoid running cable to each room, and I definitely
wouldn't put a client computer in each room. Management of those computers
is not trivial, and will require a setting up a server and administering
group policies to lock stuff down, or dealing with each system seperately.
Plus, I can only imagine how mad my wife would be if I took her to a bed and
breakfast that provided a computer for me. Not exactly her idea of getting
away, if you know what I mean.

Now...if the guest bring their own system, let them connect with wireless.
Its cheap and easy. Plus it eliminates the cost and headaches of having to
worry about the clients.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
--
John Strohecker, MCSE

"Craig" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought these groups would have
> knowledgable people to advise on what I am looking for.
>
> My mother runs a bed and breakfast with 5 rooms for guests. Last year I
> setup a pc in the lounge for internet access for guests. It has proved so
> popular that I think it would be good to have internet access in each
> bedroom.
>
> We have 1Mb broadband (adsl), a netgear adsl router and an 8 port switch.
> There are currently two cat 5 cables(double socket) running to the lounge
> for public pc broadand access.
>
> I am looking at having internet access in each room but am looking for
> different options available. I know the first step is to run cat5 to each
> room and connect to switch. Rather than have a different computer in each
> room, is there an option of having one computer(server) and somehow just
> have a screen/monitor/keyboard in each room and somehow connecting it all up
> to the cat5 connection. If different cabling required, that is n problem.
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

LRM

All gawked in amazement when: John Strohecker assaulted us with:
> Save yourself time, money, and effort. Buy a wireless router and
> install it. It will take about 10 minutes. If you want to control
> access to the router encrypt the connection using WEP and give the
> password to your guests if/when they ask for it...but IMO that is
> unnecessary.
>
> Most hotels these days offer free wireless, so any patrons you have
> who travel frequently will simply expect this.
>
> I would personnally avoid running cable to each room, and I definitely
> wouldn't put a client computer in each room. Management of those
> computers is not trivial, and will require a setting up a server and
> administering group policies to lock stuff down, or dealing with each
> system seperately. Plus, I can only imagine how mad my wife would be
> if I took her to a bed and breakfast that provided a computer for me.
> Not exactly her idea of getting away, if you know what I mean.
>
> Now...if the guest bring their own system, let them connect with
> wireless. Its cheap and easy. Plus it eliminates the cost and
> headaches of having to worry about the clients.
>
> Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Yep, that sounds like what I would do as well.

--
LRM
MCNGP 7^2

TechGeekPro

On May 28, 2006 at 7:39pm "John Strohecker" blathered:

> Buy a wireless router

*Whew* I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking the obvious.

--
The Diabolical TGP, MCNGP #100100
Long periods of drought are always followed by rain.

Robert Moir

Craig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought these groups would have
> knowledgable people to advise on what I am looking for.
>
> My mother runs a bed and breakfast with 5 rooms for guests. Last
> year I setup a pc in the lounge for internet access for guests. It
> has proved so popular that I think it would be good to have internet
> access in each bedroom.
>
> We have 1Mb broadband (adsl), a netgear adsl router and an 8 port
> switch. There are currently two cat 5 cables(double socket) running
> to the lounge for public pc broadand access.
>
> I am looking at having internet access in each room but am looking for
> different options available. I know the first step is to run cat5 to
> each room and connect to switch. Rather than have a different
> computer in each room, is there an option of having one
> computer(server) and somehow just have a screen/monitor/keyboard in
> each room and somehow connecting it all up to the cat5 connection. If
> different cabling required, that is n problem.
> All suggestions welcome.

Firstly, as others said - go wireless. Saves you a lot of work, means that
if I am staying there with my own laptop I can connect and I'll be happy,
and did I mention it saves you a lot of work?

Next up, for terminals in each room. Hmmm.. You'll need something like this
perhaps:
http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/ - they do a wireless option I believe,
or models with PCI slots allow you to add your own.
(I use wyse only as an example of a terminal that will do the job, there are
ones from other manufactures out there).

James

We use Wyse 1200LE thin clients. Cost is about $350 Canadian each, and
antoerh $50 or so for th wireless card...and of course you would then also
need a server, with proper licensing for windows and for Terminal services

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

James wrote:
> We use Wyse 1200LE thin clients. Cost is about $350 Canadian each,
> and antoerh $50 or so for th wireless card...and of course you would
> then also need a server, with proper licensing for windows and for
> Terminal services

Yeah but some of the Wyse models come with WinCE or XPe - these should be
just peachy to browse the internet just as they are.