Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Internet problem over Wireless Network

Internet problem over Wireless Network

C Tate

We have a wireless network at home which has worked ok-ish until now.
Recently it has become very unreliable. The problem is that the Internet
connection keeps becoming extremely slow or dropping off altogether. This
seems to happen randomly but is especially bad after turning off the PC or
if it has gone into hibernation.

The network itself is basic, consisting of a single Sony-Vaio PC (to which
we had to add a wireless network card - Dlink GW650+); a router (Dlink) and
separate modem. We have two laptops which also access the Internet via the
network though there is not even really any file sharing.

I have tried a huge number of things to resolve the problem, but with no
success. For example, I have:

- updated the driver for the network adapter
- updated the firmware for the router
- used spybot and adaware to remove all spyware
- restarted and rebooted the modem and router (several hundred times!)
- tried to 'repair' the wireless network by right clicking on the wlan icon
at the bottom right of the monitor

All machines have AVG anti-virus software which is up-to-date.

Sometimes I am able to access the Internet again by logging into the router
software and rebooting it, then doing the same with the modem. But this does
not always work.

I have even un-installed and re-installed the wireless network card.

Last night, the connection dropped off again. I was unable to ping my router
and all of the above measures didn't work either. I eventually gave up and
when I came back sometime later, it was all working again! Today it's down
again.

I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Is it a problem with the modem,
the router, the wireless card or the PC?! Any suggestions as to how to fix
this totally annoying problem would be much appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have a wireless network at home which has worked ok-ish until now.
> Recently it has become very unreliable. The problem is that the Internet
> connection keeps becoming extremely slow or dropping off altogether. This
> seems to happen randomly but is especially bad after turning off the PC or
> if it has gone into hibernation.
>
> The network itself is basic, consisting of a single Sony-Vaio PC (to which
> we had to add a wireless network card - Dlink GW650+); a router (Dlink)
> and separate modem. We have two laptops which also access the Internet via
> the network though there is not even really any file sharing.
>
> I have tried a huge number of things to resolve the problem, but with no
> success. For example, I have:
>
> - updated the driver for the network adapter
> - updated the firmware for the router
> - used spybot and adaware to remove all spyware
> - restarted and rebooted the modem and router (several hundred times!)
> - tried to 'repair' the wireless network by right clicking on the wlan
> icon at the bottom right of the monitor
>
> All machines have AVG anti-virus software which is up-to-date.
>
> Sometimes I am able to access the Internet again by logging into the
> router software and rebooting it, then doing the same with the modem. But
> this does not always work.
>
> I have even un-installed and re-installed the wireless network card.
>
> Last night, the connection dropped off again. I was unable to ping my
> router and all of the above measures didn't work either. I eventually gave
> up and when I came back sometime later, it was all working again! Today
> it's down again.
>
> I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Is it a problem with the modem,
> the router, the wireless card or the PC?! Any suggestions as to how to fix
> this totally annoying problem would be much appreciated.

C Tate

I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you sent
what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off! Some brief
details would be much appreciated.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We have a wireless network at home which has worked ok-ish until now.
>> Recently it has become very unreliable. The problem is that the Internet
>> connection keeps becoming extremely slow or dropping off altogether. This
>> seems to happen randomly but is especially bad after turning off the PC
>> or if it has gone into hibernation.
>>
>> The network itself is basic, consisting of a single Sony-Vaio PC (to
>> which we had to add a wireless network card - Dlink GW650+); a router
>> (Dlink) and separate modem. We have two laptops which also access the
>> Internet via the network though there is not even really any file
>> sharing.
>>
>> I have tried a huge number of things to resolve the problem, but with no
>> success. For example, I have:
>>
>> - updated the driver for the network adapter
>> - updated the firmware for the router
>> - used spybot and adaware to remove all spyware
>> - restarted and rebooted the modem and router (several hundred times!)
>> - tried to 'repair' the wireless network by right clicking on the wlan
>> icon at the bottom right of the monitor
>>
>> All machines have AVG anti-virus software which is up-to-date.
>>
>> Sometimes I am able to access the Internet again by logging into the
>> router software and rebooting it, then doing the same with the modem. But
>> this does not always work.
>>
>> I have even un-installed and re-installed the wireless network card.
>>
>> Last night, the connection dropped off again. I was unable to ping my
>> router and all of the above measures didn't work either. I eventually
>> gave up and when I came back sometime later, it was all working again!
>> Today it's down again.
>>
>> I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Is it a problem with the
>> modem, the router, the wireless card or the PC?! Any suggestions as to
>> how to fix this totally annoying problem would be much appreciated.

Mike G

Have you tried looking at other wireless networks in your area, determine if
any are also broadcasting on your channel, and if so, go into your router
setup and change the channel number.

"C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you sent
> what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off! Some brief
> details would be much appreciated.
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
>> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> We have a wireless network at home which has worked ok-ish until now.
>>> Recently it has become very unreliable. The problem is that the Internet
>>> connection keeps becoming extremely slow or dropping off altogether.
>>> This seems to happen randomly but is especially bad after turning off
>>> the PC or if it has gone into hibernation.
>>>
>>> The network itself is basic, consisting of a single Sony-Vaio PC (to
>>> which we had to add a wireless network card - Dlink GW650+); a router
>>> (Dlink) and separate modem. We have two laptops which also access the
>>> Internet via the network though there is not even really any file
>>> sharing.
>>>
>>> I have tried a huge number of things to resolve the problem, but with no
>>> success. For example, I have:
>>>
>>> - updated the driver for the network adapter
>>> - updated the firmware for the router
>>> - used spybot and adaware to remove all spyware
>>> - restarted and rebooted the modem and router (several hundred times!)
>>> - tried to 'repair' the wireless network by right clicking on the wlan
>>> icon at the bottom right of the monitor
>>>
>>> All machines have AVG anti-virus software which is up-to-date.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I am able to access the Internet again by logging into the
>>> router software and rebooting it, then doing the same with the modem.
>>> But this does not always work.
>>>
>>> I have even un-installed and re-installed the wireless network card.
>>>
>>> Last night, the connection dropped off again. I was unable to ping my
>>> router and all of the above measures didn't work either. I eventually
>>> gave up and when I came back sometime later, it was all working again!
>>> Today it's down again.
>>>
>>> I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Is it a problem with the
>>> modem, the router, the wireless card or the PC?! Any suggestions as to
>>> how to fix this totally annoying problem would be much appreciated.

C Tate

Yes, no other networks are detectable and I also changed the channel!
"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried looking at other wireless networks in your area, determine
> if any are also broadcasting on your channel, and if so, go into your
> router setup and change the channel number.
>
> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you sent
>> what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off! Some
>> brief details would be much appreciated.
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
>>> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
This feature (SSID) should be On.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you sent
> what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off! Some brief
> details would be much appreciated.
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
>> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> We have a wireless network at home which has worked ok-ish until now.
>>> Recently it has become very unreliable. The problem is that the Internet
>>> connection keeps becoming extremely slow or dropping off altogether.
>>> This seems to happen randomly but is especially bad after turning off
>>> the PC or if it has gone into hibernation.
>>>
>>> The network itself is basic, consisting of a single Sony-Vaio PC (to
>>> which we had to add a wireless network card - Dlink GW650+); a router
>>> (Dlink) and separate modem. We have two laptops which also access the
>>> Internet via the network though there is not even really any file
>>> sharing.
>>>
>>> I have tried a huge number of things to resolve the problem, but with no
>>> success. For example, I have:
>>>
>>> - updated the driver for the network adapter
>>> - updated the firmware for the router
>>> - used spybot and adaware to remove all spyware
>>> - restarted and rebooted the modem and router (several hundred times!)
>>> - tried to 'repair' the wireless network by right clicking on the wlan
>>> icon at the bottom right of the monitor
>>>
>>> All machines have AVG anti-virus software which is up-to-date.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I am able to access the Internet again by logging into the
>>> router software and rebooting it, then doing the same with the modem.
>>> But this does not always work.
>>>
>>> I have even un-installed and re-installed the wireless network card.
>>>
>>> Last night, the connection dropped off again. I was unable to ping my
>>> router and all of the above measures didn't work either. I eventually
>>> gave up and when I came back sometime later, it was all working again!
>>> Today it's down again.
>>>
>>> I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. Is it a problem with the
>>> modem, the router, the wireless card or the PC?! Any suggestions as to
>>> how to fix this totally annoying problem would be much appreciated.

C Tate

Well I had a good look around and I can see no feature for disabling
broadcast of the SSID so I am assuming it's not this causing the problem.
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> This feature (SSID) should be On.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you sent
>> what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off! Some
>> brief details would be much appreciated.
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Did you switched Off the SSID Beacon in the Router (
>>> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid )?
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

RalfG

D-link does have options in their routers to disable and change SSID, you
must have missed it. What model is your router? In the router configuration
look on the Home tab, Wireless button.

Try setting the router to use channel 1 or 11. The default channel 6 is very
busy. My D-link adapters amost never show the wireless networks that are
nearby but they are certainly there causing interference.

Hybernation will kill the wireless connection and the routing metrics could
change while the adapter is dormant. That would require repairing the
connection, or possibly even rebooting the computer. Additionally, not all
devices are able to recover from hybernation, or even stand-by, so it can be
problematic to use either of them.

P2P programs with too many connections will corrupt the router, even so far
as to cause it to crash or spontaneously reboot. Unless you check the router
logs you might not even be aware of it happening. Computers may not be able
to connect to internet or LAN afterwards unless each device is rebooted.
Safe limit is only 2 or 3 simultaneous downloads, depending however on the
number of open connections. Routers are also targeted for denial of service
attacks when you connect to file sharing networks.

Your software firewalls (if any) can interfere with network connections.

"C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I had a good look around and I can see no feature for disabling
> broadcast of the SSID so I am assuming it's not this causing the problem.
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> This feature (SSID) should be On.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm not sure but I'll check. I'm not totally clear from the link you
>>> sent what this feature does and whether it is meant to be on or off!
>>> Some brief details would be much appreciated.
>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

C Tate

I think the hiberation/closing down is certainly the major cause of the
problem. Unfortunately, repairing doesn't seem to repair, however. What is
the best solution in this case? I did try changing channels to 1 some time
ago but it didn't seem to work. But I will try that again. The router is a
DI-614 and I'll check again for the button you mention.
"RalfG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> D-link does have options in their routers to disable and change SSID, you
> must have missed it. What model is your router? In the router
> configuration look on the Home tab, Wireless button.
>
> Try setting the router to use channel 1 or 11. The default channel 6 is
> very busy. My D-link adapters amost never show the wireless networks that
> are nearby but they are certainly there causing interference.
>
> Hybernation will kill the wireless connection and the routing metrics
> could change while the adapter is dormant. That would require repairing
> the connection, or possibly even rebooting the computer. Additionally,
> not all devices are able to recover from hybernation, or even stand-by, so
> it can be problematic to use either of them.
>
> P2P programs with too many connections will corrupt the router, even so
> far as to cause it to crash or spontaneously reboot. Unless you check the
> router logs you might not even be aware of it happening. Computers may not
> be able to connect to internet or LAN afterwards unless each device is
> rebooted. Safe limit is only 2 or 3 simultaneous downloads, depending
> however on the number of open connections. Routers are also targeted for
> denial of service attacks when you connect to file sharing networks.
>
> Your software firewalls (if any) can interfere with network connections.
>

> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well I had a good look around and I can see no feature for disabling
>> broadcast of the SSID so I am assuming it's not this causing the problem.
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> This feature (SSID) should be On.
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "C Tate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

RalfG

Quick note: D-link has an online emulator for the DI-614+ configuration. It
shows the SSID broadcast enable/disable setting is on the Advanced Tab under
the Peformance button.