Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > networking prob

networking prob

=?Utf-8?B?ZHlvdWRlbg==?=

HI there...I have 3 computers, all running Windows xp home connected through
a linksys router. the ADSL connection is shared. One machine is wired
directly to the router, the other two have wireless cards. Here's the
trouble...one wirelesss machine works great. The second one can connect to
the network and to the other computers, but has no Internet Access. I ok'd
the MAC address in the router. It logs on and gets an IP address; even gets
the IP addresses of the DNS servers, but for some reason cannot resolve DNS
to get Internet access.
What the heck am I missing?
I even tried disabling the firewall...no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Might be a browser problem. Check your Browser.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"dyouden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI there...I have 3 computers, all running Windows xp home connected
> through
> a linksys router. the ADSL connection is shared. One machine is wired
> directly to the router, the other two have wireless cards. Here's the
> trouble...one wirelesss machine works great. The second one can connect to
> the network and to the other computers, but has no Internet Access. I ok'd
> the MAC address in the router. It logs on and gets an IP address; even
> gets
> the IP addresses of the DNS servers, but for some reason cannot resolve
> DNS
> to get Internet access.
> What the heck am I missing?
> I even tried disabling the firewall...no luck.
> Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?d2F5bm8=?=

Hi
Are you getting a default gateway on the client, can you ping the gateway
router ?, can you ping a website like www.telstra.com ?, is DNS resolving ?
should be resolving to 144.135.19.10, if not try to ping the address only
this could be a DNS issue

Wayno

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Might be a browser problem. Check your Browser.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "dyouden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > HI there...I have 3 computers, all running Windows xp home connected
> > through
> > a linksys router. the ADSL connection is shared. One machine is wired
> > directly to the router, the other two have wireless cards. Here's the
> > trouble...one wirelesss machine works great. The second one can connect to
> > the network and to the other computers, but has no Internet Access. I ok'd
> > the MAC address in the router. It logs on and gets an IP address; even
> > gets
> > the IP addresses of the DNS servers, but for some reason cannot resolve
> > DNS
> > to get Internet access.
> > What the heck am I missing?
> > I even tried disabling the firewall...no luck.
> > Any help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlOTA==?=

Hi,

I have a smiliar problem. I have a Dell laptop which was able to connect to
the internet through cable at another location. But when I moved to a new
location and tried to connect to its wireless network, a host of problems
occurred. First there was a clash of IP address, which I solved somehow
(don't exactly know how), and then when all the connection seems fine, I
could not connect to the Internet. The signal is excellent and connection was
OK.

A previous laptop user shared the same router with a laptop and a desktop,
and his laptop could easily connect to the Internet.

I've a Dell Inspiron 6000 and it has never had a failure to access Internet
problem after connection. I doubt it's a browser problem because I was using
it up till the day I switched to this new wirless network (it uses a WEP 64
bits).

I've also tried rebooting, disabling/enabling wirless, getting rid of both
Norton and Windows Firewall, and nothing worked.

Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks!

MiNL

"wayno" wrote:

> Hi
> Are you getting a default gateway on the client, can you ping the gateway
> router ?, can you ping a website like www.telstra.com ?, is DNS resolving ?
> should be resolving to 144.135.19.10, if not try to ping the address only
> this could be a DNS issue
>
> Wayno
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Might be a browser problem. Check your Browser.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >
> > "dyouden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > HI there...I have 3 computers, all running Windows xp home connected
> > > through
> > > a linksys router. the ADSL connection is shared. One machine is wired
> > > directly to the router, the other two have wireless cards. Here's the
> > > trouble...one wirelesss machine works great. The second one can connect to
> > > the network and to the other computers, but has no Internet Access. I ok'd
> > > the MAC address in the router. It logs on and gets an IP address; even
> > > gets
> > > the IP addresses of the DNS servers, but for some reason cannot resolve
> > > DNS
> > > to get Internet access.
> > > What the heck am I missing?
> > > I even tried disabling the firewall...no luck.
> > > Any help would be appreciated.

Audio prob that's more than a sound card prob LineOut Computer Support 2 04-19-2008 02:30 PM
Networking Prob Geoff Computer Support 6 10-27-2005 08:32 PM
Networking Prob peter Computer Support 7 04-09-2005 10:05 AM
Printer prob and also networking prob Gareth not NLL or anybody else. Computer Support 2 01-02-2004 07:48 PM
winxp networking prob John Computer Support 0 08-06-2003 10:25 AM

Advertisments