Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Prioritize Nics

Prioritize Nics

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=

I have a home network set up on a wired router and I use a wireless adapter
to get on the internet. The problem is that I have to disable the wired
connection to access the internet on the wireless. I have tried the network
wizard. Is there a way to set the wireless connection as my defalt internet
connection

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tommy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a home network set up on a wired router and I use a wireless adapter
> to get on the internet. The problem is that I have to disable the wired
> connection to access the internet on the wireless. I have tried the
> network
> wizard. Is there a way to set the wireless connection as my defalt
> internet
> connection

J.P. Stewart [MS]

Make sure that there is no "default gateway" set on the wired interface.
(Assuming you just have a small network without multiple tiered
routers...otherwise, you may have to change the metrics as Jack suggested.)

If you have a router supplying dhcp, you can do this by clicking the radio
button for manual in the tcpip properties on the wired adapter, but do not
type anything in.

Basically if both adapters have a default gateway specified, then it is the
hardware bind order which determines which is queried first. Ensuring that
the default gateway is on the wireless interface means that for IP addresses
which your machine does not recognize (web sites...etc), your machine will
use the wireless interface to contact them.

--
J.P.
[This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no