Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Tracing Web service calls

Tracing Web service calls

magennisw@etrade.com.au

Our three tier web application is "pausing" under test loading (IIS 6.0
(win2003) -> Web services (win2003) -> SQL server) . The CPU usage on
the W3WP.exe on both the web server and middle tier drops to zero for
about 5 seconds then springs back into life. Nothing in the NT event
logs. No SQL database blocking.

I suspect it is a particular web service call. With SQL server I can
start a "trace" and get a list of all SQL calls (and their
parameters) and how long they are taking - this allows me to track
down "slow" SQL code. I can't see any tool that allows me to do
this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
allow me to monitor this traffic?

You can put tracing code right into the webservice that can be "turned on"
via a web.config setting. Use a custom TraceWriter to send the messages to a
log file, a database, or whatever you want.

Here is a short article along these lines that could be helpful:

Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Our three tier web application is "pausing" under test loading (IIS 6.0
> (win2003) -> Web services (win2003) -> SQL server) . The CPU usage on
> the W3WP.exe on both the web server and middle tier drops to zero for
> about 5 seconds then springs back into life. Nothing in the NT event
> logs. No SQL database blocking.
>
> I suspect it is a particular web service call. With SQL server I can
> start a "trace" and get a list of all SQL calls (and their
> parameters) and how long they are taking - this allows me to track
> down "slow" SQL code. I can't see any tool that allows me to do
> this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
> allow me to monitor this traffic?

Kirk Allen Evans

Another option is to use the IIS Diagnostics Tools.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

Kirk Allen Evans
Developer Evangelist
Microsoft Corporation
blogs.msdn.com/kaevans

=== This post provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights ===

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can put tracing code right into the webservice that can be "turned on"
> via a web.config setting. Use a custom TraceWriter to send the messages to
> log file, a database, or whatever you want.
>
> Here is a short article along these lines that could be helpful:
>
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030402.asp
>

> Peter
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> UnBlog:
> http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
>> Our three tier web application is "pausing" under test loading (IIS 6.0
>> (win2003) -> Web services (win2003) -> SQL server) . The CPU usage on
>> the W3WP.exe on both the web server and middle tier drops to zero for
>> about 5 seconds then springs back into life. Nothing in the NT event
>> logs. No SQL database blocking.
>>
>> I suspect it is a particular web service call. With SQL server I can
>> start a "trace" and get a list of all SQL calls (and their
>> parameters) and how long they are taking - this allows me to track
>> down "slow" SQL code. I can't see any tool that allows me to do
>> this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
>> allow me to monitor this traffic?

magennisw@etrade.com.au

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the diag tools. They look helpful
if I get calls that hang, but not for looking into slower calls. Also
none of these tools show me the actual web service requests - something
that should be easy to do as its all XML. I think the IIS team needs to
have a look at the SQL tools and get something similar to their
profiler. I beleive IBM have created such a tool for their web service
solutions.

Kirk Allen Evans wrote:
> Another option is to use the IIS Diagnostics Tools.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
>
> Kirk Allen Evans
> Developer Evangelist
> Microsoft Corporation
> blogs.msdn.com/kaevans
>
> === This post provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights ===
>

> "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You can put tracing code right into the webservice that can be "turned on"
> > via a web.config setting. Use a custom TraceWriter to send the messages to
> > log file, a database, or whatever you want.
> >
> > Here is a short article along these lines that could be helpful:
> >
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030402.asp
> >

> > Peter
> > --
> > Co-founder, Eggheadcafe.com developer portal:
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> > UnBlog:
> > http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
> >

> > "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> >
> >> Our three tier web application is "pausing" under test loading (IIS 6.0
> >> (win2003) -> Web services (win2003) -> SQL server) . The CPU usage on
> >> the W3WP.exe on both the web server and middle tier drops to zero for
> >> about 5 seconds then springs back into life. Nothing in the NT event
> >> logs. No SQL database blocking.
> >>
> >> I suspect it is a particular web service call. With SQL server I can
> >> start a "trace" and get a list of all SQL calls (and their
> >> parameters) and how long they are taking - this allows me to track
> >> down "slow" SQL code. I can't see any tool that allows me to do
> >> this for web service calls? Surly there is some IIS plug in that will
> >> allow me to monitor this traffic?

You can hook the OnBeforeSerialize and OnAfterSerialize events to output SOAP
Message logs. In ASP.NET 2.0, there are built -in configuration options to do
this without the need to write additional code.