Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Site critique!

Site critique!

Alex

Hi,

I've been baby sitting a site that someone else designed for a while.
I'd like to have a redesign to give the site a fresh look and wondered
if people could let me know what they think is good and what could be
improved so I can take that into account when redesigning it.

It's http://www.prospex.org

Thanks for your help!

Alex

cwdjrxyz

Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been baby sitting a site that someone else designed for a while.
> I'd like to have a redesign to give the site a fresh look and wondered
> if people could let me know what they think is good and what could be
> improved so I can take that into account when redesigning it.
>
> It's http://www.prospex.org

I just looked at the home page of the site you gave above. It is
written as html 4.01 transitional. I find it has 59 errors at the W3C
validator. I would first get the pages to validate before considering
cosmetic page changes. Some of the errors such as lack of alt cause no
problems. Many other errors do not seem to be fatal, but one always
wonders what might happen on other browsers. There are a lot of
required quotes missing. The table tags are really a mess full of
errors. If you need help in what some of the errors mean, someone here
likely can answer you. A page such as this is not unusual. Many just
write code and change it until it works on their browser or browsers
without ever validating the code.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been baby sitting a site that someone else designed for a while.
> I'd like to have a redesign to give the site a fresh look and wondered
> if people could let me know what they think is good and what could be
> improved so I can take that into account when redesigning it.
>
> It's http://www.prospex.org
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Alex

I confine myself to one observation, it is because of my
incredible self-discipline:

The hover background of the dropdown head links is he same as the
one that indicates the page one is on. It looks odd when one is
checking out a link next to the page "link". Both then seem to be
hovered over....

--
dorayme

Toby Inkster

Alex wrote:

> http://www.prospex.org

White on bright orange is very hard to read, especially with text that
tiny.

Including "|" in the link text on your main menu is probably a bad idea.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/vali...ww.prospex.org
http://validator.buzzword.org.uk/v_1...ww.prospex.org

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./dexter_freebish/tripped_into_divine/04_how_do_i_get_through_to_you.ogg

Toby Inkster

cwdjrxyz wrote:

> Some of the errors such as lack of alt cause no problems.

On the contrary -- this is a very serious error. It can cause major
problems, with some text and audio browsers displaying/reading "Image"
when an image is encountered. This can be incrediblity distracting on a
page that's full of decorative images. Always include alt text on images,
even if it's just alt="" (which is appropriate for most decorative images).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Now Playing ~ ./beatles/blue_cd2/09_come_together.ogg

Ed Mullen

Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been baby sitting a site that someone else designed for a while.
> I'd like to have a redesign to give the site a fresh look and wondered
> if people could let me know what they think is good and what could be
> improved so I can take that into account when redesigning it.
>
> It's http://www.prospex.org
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Alex

First thing that got me was the need to scroll horizontally. Not user
friendly.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net