Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > strange firefox bookmark problem

strange firefox bookmark problem

charles marsh

Hi all

running version 1.5.0.3
I lost the firefox bookmarks a little while ago, managed to get them back
from the backup.
Now I can't add anything to the bookmarks. Click on bookmark this page,
press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
made no difference.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

Andy Luddy

charles marsh wrote:
> Hi all
>
> running version 1.5.0.3
> I lost the firefox bookmarks a little while ago, managed to get them back
> from the backup.
> Now I can't add anything to the bookmarks. Click on bookmark this page,
> press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
> made no difference.
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply

charles marsh

No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com

Many thanks, any other ideas?

"Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> charles marsh wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> running version 1.5.0.3
>> I lost the firefox bookmarks a little while ago, managed to get them back
>> from the backup.
>> Now I can't add anything to the bookmarks. Click on bookmark this page,
>> press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
>> made no difference.
>>
>> Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

> If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
> permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.
>
> --
> Andy Luddy
> Perform appendectomy to reply
> (E-Mail Removed)

Andy Luddy

charles marsh wrote:
> No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com
>
> Many thanks, any other ideas?
>

> "Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> charles marsh wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> running version 1.5.0.3
>>> I lost the firefox bookmarks a little while ago, managed to get them back
>>> from the backup.
>>> Now I can't add anything to the bookmarks. Click on bookmark this page,
>>> press okay, and nothing happens. Iv'e tried reinstalling firefox and it's
>>> made no difference.
>>>
>>> Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driveing me nuts!

>> If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
>> permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.

Hmm. I'd still check the permissions, as if that's it, it's an easy
fix. Make sore firefox is closed. Then, locate your profile
(something line C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[randomstring].default), find the file
bookmarks.html, right click it and select Properties. If the
"Read-only" attribute is checked, uncheck it. Likewise, check the
permissions on your profile folder itself.

BTW, if you are running a sufficiently new edition of Firefox
(1.5.0.3, not sure about 1.5.0.2), there should be a folder within
your profile called bookmarkbackups, which has backup copies of your
bookmarks from the last 5 days. This might be an improvement on the
version from firefox, if you had added a lot of new ones.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply
(E-Mail Removed)

charles marsh

"Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> charles marsh wrote:
>> No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com
>>
>> Many thanks, any other ideas?
>>

>> "Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> If you reinstalled it from a CDRW backup or something similar, the
>>> permissions on the bookmarks.html may have been set to read only.
>>>

> Hmm. I'd still check the permissions, as if that's it, it's an easy fix.
> Make sore firefox is closed. Then, locate your profile (something line
> C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[randomstring].default), find the file
> bookmarks.html, right click it and select Properties. If the "Read-only"
> attribute is checked, uncheck it. Likewise, check the permissions on your
> profile folder itself.
>
> BTW, if you are running a sufficiently new edition of Firefox (1.5.0.3,
> not sure about 1.5.0.2), there should be a folder within your profile
> called bookmarkbackups, which has backup copies of your bookmarks from the
> last 5 days. This might be an improvement on the version from firefox, if
> you had added a lot of new ones.
>

> --
> Andy Luddy
> Perform appendectomy to reply
> (E-Mail Removed)

This is getting stranger all the time, all the folders are set to read only
all the way up to c:\documents and settings.

When I uncheck the box, click apply and okay, then recheck the permissions,
they have reset back to read only. Permission won't stay.

The read-only box is pale green which suggests to that it is acquiring the
permission from somewhere else!

bty operating system is xp pro service pack 2 if that helps

Dan

just to let you know Dan used to appear as charles marsh (using dad's
account, finally got round to updating it)
"charles marsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HK0eg.4151$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> charles marsh wrote:
>>> No I didn't, I installed the latest version from www.getfirefox.com
>>>
>>> Many thanks, any other ideas?
>>>

>>> "Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> Hmm. I'd still check the permissions, as if that's it, it's an easy fix.
>> Make sore firefox is closed. Then, locate your profile (something line
>> C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application
>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[randomstring].default), find the file
>> bookmarks.html, right click it and select Properties. If the "Read-only"
>> attribute is checked, uncheck it. Likewise, check the permissions on
>> your profile folder itself.
>>
>> BTW, if you are running a sufficiently new edition of Firefox (1.5.0.3,
>> not sure about 1.5.0.2), there should be a folder within your profile
>> called bookmarkbackups, which has backup copies of your bookmarks from
>> the last 5 days. This might be an improvement on the version from
>> firefox, if you had added a lot of new ones.
>>

>> --
>> Andy Luddy
>> Perform appendectomy to reply
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> This is getting stranger all the time, all the folders are set to read
> only all the way up to c:\documents and settings.
>
> When I uncheck the box, click apply and okay, then recheck the
> permissions, they have reset back to read only. Permission won't stay.
>
> The read-only box is pale green which suggests to that it is acquiring the
> permission from somewhere else!
>
> bty operating system is xp pro service pack 2 if that helps

Dan

still got this problem

any more help would be very greatly appreciated.

Dan
news:KN0eg.4152$(E-Mail Removed)...
> just to let you know Dan used to appear as charles marsh (using dad's
> account, finally got round to updating it)
> "charles marsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HK0eg.4151$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Hmm. I'd still check the permissions, as if that's it, it's an easy
>>> fix. Make sore firefox is closed. Then, locate your profile (something
>>> line C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]\Application
>>> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[randomstring].default), find the file
>>> bookmarks.html, right click it and select Properties. If the
>>> "Read-only" attribute is checked, uncheck it. Likewise, check the
>>> permissions on your profile folder itself.
>>>
>>> BTW, if you are running a sufficiently new edition of Firefox (1.5.0.3,
>>> not sure about 1.5.0.2), there should be a folder within your profile
>>> called bookmarkbackups, which has backup copies of your bookmarks from
>>> the last 5 days. This might be an improvement on the version from
>>> firefox, if you had added a lot of new ones.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Andy Luddy
>>> Perform appendectomy to reply
>>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> This is getting stranger all the time, all the folders are set to read
>> only all the way up to c:\documents and settings.
>>
>> When I uncheck the box, click apply and okay, then recheck the
>> permissions, they have reset back to read only. Permission won't stay.
>>
>> The read-only box is pale green which suggests to that it is acquiring
>> the permission from somewhere else!
>>
>> bty operating system is xp pro service pack 2 if that helps

Doug G

Dan wrote:
> still got this problem
>
> any more help would be very greatly appreciated.
>
> Dan
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KN0eg.4152$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> just to let you know Dan used to appear as charles marsh (using dad's
>> account, finally got round to updating it)
>> "charles marsh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:HK0eg.4151$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Andy Luddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> This is getting stranger all the time, all the folders are set to read
>>> only all the way up to c:\documents and settings.
>>>
>>> When I uncheck the box, click apply and okay, then recheck the
>>> permissions, they have reset back to read only. Permission won't stay.
>>>
>>> The read-only box is pale green which suggests to that it is acquiring
>>> the permission from somewhere else!
>>>
>>> bty operating system is xp pro service pack 2 if that helps

It sounds like you're using a Windows 'limited' account. If you are,
you may be able to work around the restrictions by moving your profile.
See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

icejam icejam is offline
Junior Member

run firefox in safemode and reset the bookmark, worked for me for strange bookmark problems

budmustang budmustang is offline
Junior Member

I get this problem every couple of months. My bookmarks disappear, a bookmark toolbar fixes itself to the top and I get conflicting bookmarks toolbar folders. Then, then when I import the bookmarks from my backup, I get problems when I try to save new bookmarks. It's getting to the point where I'm starting to favour Opera. Re-installing Firefox does nothing to solve the problems. I have to delete the files in the Mozilla folder in the Application Data folder. This unfortunately affects other settings such as themes and add-ons. I'm sure if I knew more about this I could better pin-point the offending files but there you go. I too am using Win XP SP2. Hope this helps, at worst you know it's not just you!