Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Trouble setting up home network

Trouble setting up home network

=?Utf-8?B?SmF5bWU=?=

I just loaded XP pro on my laptop and ran the networkwizard on my desktop to
create a disk and then ran that disk on the laptop. I am using DSL with a
2wire router. The laptop finds the internet connection but doesn't see the
desktop.
--
JG
MBA Professor

Malke

Jayme wrote:

> I just loaded XP pro on my laptop and ran the networkwizard on my
> desktop to
> create a disk and then ran that disk on the laptop. I am using DSL
> with a
> 2wire router. The laptop finds the internet connection but doesn't
> see the desktop.

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. The only
"gotcha" from running the Network Setup Wizard is that this turned on
the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers