Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Tunnel Phone Line Over Internet

Tunnel Phone Line Over Internet

Will

Does any vendor make a simple appliance that would tunnel a modem or phone
line over the Internet? I have an older box that runs a real time OS that
I cannot modify that needs to dial out by modem. I have the available
phone trunk lines at a different physical location. I would like to tunnel
the modem connections from the location with the older computer to the
location that has the phone company trunk line, tunneling by TCP over the
Internet.

There is no Windows computer at the sending or receiving end of this
application. The device I am looking for would let you take a standard
off-the-shelf analog phone and plug it in at one location and get dial tone
from the trunk at the remote location, all invisibly to the phone (e.g., no
special access codes for the outdialing device, just dial tone when going
off hook).

--
Will

Rob

Will wrote:
> Does any vendor make a simple appliance that would tunnel a modem or phone
> line over the Internet? I have an older box that runs a real time OS that
> I cannot modify that needs to dial out by modem. I have the available
> phone trunk lines at a different physical location. I would like to tunnel
> the modem connections from the location with the older computer to the
> location that has the phone company trunk line, tunneling by TCP over the
> Internet.
>
> There is no Windows computer at the sending or receiving end of this
> application. The device I am looking for would let you take a standard
> off-the-shelf analog phone and plug it in at one location and get dial tone
> from the trunk at the remote location, all invisibly to the phone (e.g., no
> special access codes for the outdialing device, just dial tone when going
> off hook).

Digi makes single port terminal servers that can tunnel a serial port
over the TCP/UDP and emulate a modem command set.

If your device has an embedded modem, you could use a SIP adapter with
an uncompressed codec to deliver the data to you.

Good luck!

Rob