Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > D-link ain't linking

D-link ain't linking

Mike G

Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

Absolutely positive you're setting the same keys in the router and laptop ??

MD

"Mike G" wrote:

> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
> have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
> get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
> appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

RalfG

On the Authentication tab for the wireless adapters make sure that
IEEE.802.1x authentication is disabled.

For WEP try using an Open key in HEX format, 64bit or 128 bit. WEP
implementations are not all compatible with each other. Connecting to the
Dlink using Shared WEP keys and adapters designed to work using an ASCII
passphrase system might not be possible.

WPA encryption requires a Radius server on the LAN so unless you have one
you can only use WPA-PSK. Confirm that both the adapters and the router are
using either TKIP or AES encryption method. If they still won't connect ,
there are different implementations WPA that could be used by the hardware
manufacturers and you might have run into a hardware incompatibility. Maybe
try a different brand of router, or one using a different chipset.

"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
> have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
> get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
> appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

Bert

"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
> have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
> get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
> appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

Do search in this newsgroup for --> Subject: WPA-PSK(TKIP) cant acquire ip
address.... See if it helps you ....it worked for me

Mike G

Thanks for the great help. Will do some more reading and try the
suggestions. Originally only had the IBM, issued by my company and they had
it locked down pretty tight. Thought perhaps that this was something not
permitting connection. But as I travel around to other company locations, I
have no trouble connecting. The Gateway, a present to my stepdaughter,
loaded with the latest wireless 'stuff' is having the same problems. so:
Yes all the keys are the same in both laptops, and the the router. Have
done a router reset and re-entered the data. Updated to the latest firmware,
saw a fix correcting the WPA BUG, but did not help. Have changed to
different passwords, had my son enter them in also. I also tried Hex and
Ascii selection as suggested by RalfG. Plan to try an older netgear B
router this weekend. Was also wondering, since this is version "A" and
D-link has kept the same model and updated thru version "D", there must be a
reason??? Thanks again.

"Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
>> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
>> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
>> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both
>> laptops, have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck
>> encryption, I get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet.
>> Any help appreciated. (All Winxp machines)
>>

> Do search in this newsgroup for --> Subject: WPA-PSK(TKIP) cant acquire
> ip address.... See if it helps you ....it worked for me

Ted

"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
> have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
> get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
> appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

Just picked up a DI-524 (rev_D) and it worked for about a day. Now can't
even connect after doing a hard reset. My DI-514 works like a charm tho.
Ted

RalfG

There were at least two different chipsets used.

Revision A apparently used a Marvel chipset.. fairly old units.
Revision B was an export version (don't know the chipset)
Revision C used an Atheros chipset, likely rev.D and rev.E as well.

D-link suggests that you try changing SSID to ANY on all devices if you
cannot get them to connect.

"Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the great help. Will do some more reading and try the
> suggestions. Originally only had the IBM, issued by my company and they
> had it locked down pretty tight. Thought perhaps that this was something
> not permitting connection. But as I travel around to other company
> locations, I have no trouble connecting. The Gateway, a present to my
> stepdaughter, loaded with the latest wireless 'stuff' is having the same
> problems. so:
> Yes all the keys are the same in both laptops, and the the router. Have
> done a router reset and re-entered the data. Updated to the latest
> firmware, saw a fix correcting the WPA BUG, but did not help. Have
> changed to different passwords, had my son enter them in also. I also
> tried Hex and Ascii selection as suggested by RalfG. Plan to try an older
> netgear B router this weekend. Was also wondering, since this is version
> "A" and D-link has kept the same model and updated thru version "D", there
> must be a reason??? Thanks again.
>

> "Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Mike G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
>>> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
>>> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
>>> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both
>>> laptops, have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck
>>> encryption, I get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet.
>>> Any help appreciated. (All Winxp machines)
>>>

>> Do search in this newsgroup for --> Subject: WPA-PSK(TKIP) cant acquire
>> ip address.... See if it helps you ....it worked for me

Firefox and OE linking opening me Firefox 21 01-12-2005 08:31 PM
peer to peer linking and sharing =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEM=?= Wireless Networking 2 08-23-2004 08:23 PM
not linking msvcr70.dll ASP .Net 0 08-11-2004 01:07 AM
Directly linking to files such as MSWord willy_gates Firefox 0 05-14-2004 11:12 AM
Linking Firebird / Thunderbird jimm67(nospam) Firefox 0 07-06-2003 01:46 PM

Advertisments