Velocity Reviews > Reviews > Corsair Nautilus 500

Article Tools

Corsair Nautilus 500

Corsair Nautilus 500 Article Author : unholy
Date :

Introduction

Corsair has been the top notch memory manufacture since 1994, and has been bring out more and more modules since then, some being quite good and others totally kicking ass! When we are talking computers, Corsair is the chocolate coating on the cake. But today we aren't taking a look at their Memory Modules; we are testing out their New Water Cooling Kit.

Overview

Today we are looking at Corsair's New Water Cooling Kit, the Nautilus 500. This water cooler is great even if you are looking at just its features, quick release valves and external unit. It’s all quite good on paper, but does it stack up to this in real life? That’s what I am here to answer for you.

Packaging

Well it all starts with the packaging, is it protected enough to withstand a “oops I dropped it”, without getting damaged? It might just be a box of plastic to you, but no one wants their copper based water block scratched by a cat or a rock for that matter. Corsair did a simple but quite complete job of protecting all the components.

Specifications

Pump Spec:
  • Spherical Motor (Designed to minimize noise and extend product life.
  • 8-13.2 VDC
  • Max Pressure of 22 PSI
  • Head Pressure of 13.05 Feet (390 m/bar) @ 12 volts
  • Max Flow @ 12 volts, 350 LPH (1.54 GPM)
Fan Spec:
  • 12 VDC
  • 0.3 Amp
  • 1800 RPM
  • 74.4 CFM
  • 3.2 mmAq
CPU Water-Block Spec:
  • 100% Solid Copper Construction
  • 3/8" Hose Barbs
  • Supports Intel P4 (LGA775 and Socket 478 )
  • Supports AMD (Socket 754, 939, 940)
What you get

You get pretty much all you need to setup this kit in 20 minutes, from Thermal paste to power connectors. The only thing you are going to need is a screwdriver.

  • 1 All copper CPU water block with Micro Channel Technology(tm)
  • 1 AMD Socket 754, 939 and 940 retention bracket
  • 1 Intel LGA 775 retention bracket
  • 1 Intel socket 478 retention bracket
  • 1 Foam pad
  • 1 Syringe with thermal grease
  • 1 PCI pass-through bracket with internal 4-pin power connector
  • 1 Power extension cable
  • 2 Quick connect self sealing connectors
  • 2 Quick grip clams
  • 1 Bottle of Corsair COOL Coolant
  • 1 Installation manual
The Water Cooling Unit

Before we go into the installation of the cooler we might as well show you the insides.

Fluid In -> Reservoir -> Pump -> Radiator -> Fluid Out

The quick release valves are quite a good idea, especially if you’re in the gaming scene, moving your computer around for a LAN every month.

The unit is specially made for 500 Watt dissipation, this is to help keep the temperature cool on the CPU. Considering 500 Watts is about the amount of power the power supply can produce, it resembles the amount of cooling compacity this water cooler has. And that means its very powerful!

Setup and Installing

It’s always good to start at the hard part first. Mounting the water block to the CPU is most likely the hardest part, and possible the most dangerous part.

To insure you do it correctly follow the manual unless otherwise stated by Corsair. Because when I installed the water block onto my K8 CPU it decided it would be a painful and annoying process. Please do be careful, and don’t press down too hard only enjoy to make it clip.

When I was installing, I kept hearing creaking sounds, every time I did, I was scared to press down any harder, until I realized that you have to press down hard enough to get the clip on. Maybe Corsair should investigate into the matter.

The bueaty of the design of the clips for installion is they dont require you to removal the motherboard for installation.

Test Setup
  • AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester Core)
  • Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLi
  • 512mb OCZ PC3200 3-3-3-8
  • MSI 6200TC 128mb
  • 450 Watt Power Supply
  • 20GB Seagate HDD
  • Standard 3 Fan Case
  • Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Testing Procedure
  • Test Setup above will be used.
  • Load will be run first, consisting of 100% CPU usage. Temperature will be taken after 40 minutes.
  • Idle test will be run second, and temperature will be taken after 40 minutes.
  • Will be compared against Other Market Water Cooler and Air Coolers.
  • 17°C Ambient Temp
  • CPU Core was rated at 67 Watts (According to www.amdboard.com)
Results

To work out how effective this cooler will be with your CPU, get the wattage rating for your CPU (for AMD's www.amdboard.com) the “wattage * °C/W = CPU temp - Ambient Temp”
* User many experience Differences between °C/W and real life *
Conclusion

Now you have seen the cooler in action. And this is where I whine and congratulate.

I have had previous experience with other water cooling kits, some good, some absolute rubbish. But the Nautilus makes a mockery of them. With detachable fitting and valves, small external unit (the correct size to sit on top of a case), 20 minute installation and that’s not it there’s much more, that you will only get when you actually buy this cooler. If you are in the need for a water cooler and just cant choose one you like. The Nautilus 500 is the one to pick and in some cases the only one to pick.

Some Water cooling kits are quite simple and are ok at cooling. But when you compare this to them it makes them look like dust in a desert and make the Nautilus the Rain! If you can get your hands on one of these units do so, its one of the best water cooler around in my opnion.

This bueaty sells for $154 USD on newegg. When considering that price to other Coolers of the same standard, your looking a $50 USD difference, thats right, this cooler is 50 bucks cheaper then one of its rivals. Not to mention $50 Bucks could mean the difference between 512mb or 1gb, and that means performance.

I have heard from Corsair Myself, that they have already released North Bridge(Not 100% sure about NF4 Chipsets) and VGA Water Blocks, with SLi/Crossfire Water Blocks coming out very very soon.

Pros (+):
  • Copper Water Block
  • 3/8" Tubing
  • Sensors for both Pump and Fan
  • Corsair Cool Water Additive
  • Mounts for most common CPU's
  • Quick Release Valves and Connectors
  • Back Plate with Connectors
  • 120mm Fan
  • External Unit
  • More then Just a CPU Cooler, You can get water blocks for VGA/Chipset
  • 500 Watt Dissipation fo Heat
  • Installion that doesn't require the removal of the Motherboard for installion
  • Cheaper then the competition by $50 US
Cons (-):
  • You have to feed the tubing through the back plate, no connectors.
  • Attaching the Water Block requires strength and alot of pressure, so much it feels like you are breaking the CPU.

Advertisments

Newsgroups
Computer Support
Computer Information