Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > BT/RJ11 adapter with ring circuit

BT/RJ11 adapter with ring circuit

Dave Saville

I see the above is needed with a PAP2 for an standard BT phone to be used. What
exactly does than mean? How can I tell? I have some that came with an old fax
switch, took one apart and it seems to have three wires connected.

TIA

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Ivor Jones

"Dave Saville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk
> I see the above is needed with a PAP2 for an standard BT
> phone to be used. What exactly does than mean? How can I
> tell? I have some that came with an old fax switch, took
> one apart and it seems to have three wires connected.
>
> TIA

The correct type of adaptor will have a ringing capacitor in it, this is
necessary to supply ringing to the ring wire of a UK spec. phone, although
it should be noted that not all phones (DECT cordless in particular)
require the ring wire any more, some will ring with just the 2 wires
connected. However it's a case of suck it and see, there doesn't seem to
be any hard and fast rule; I bought 2 BT badged phones not long ago, one
requires the ring wire and one doesn't..!

Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct adaptor anyway.

Ivor

Thomas Kenyon

PhilT wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>>> Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct adaptor anyway.

> its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for example do not
> have adaptors in their box.

Though strangely their Vonage counterparts usually come with 1.

PhilT

Ivor Jones wrote:

> > Any ATA worth buying will come with the correct adaptor anyway.

its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for example do not
have adaptors in their box.

Phil

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:1mhdg.659$(E-Mail Removed)
> PhilT wrote:

> > its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for
> > example do not have adaptors in their box.
> >

> Though strangely their Vonage counterparts usually come
> with 1.

My Fritz!Box came with 2, the Sipura 1001 had one. The Sipura 2000 didn't
but only because I bought it direct from the US.

Ivor

Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:1mhdg.659$(E-Mail Removed)
>> PhilT wrote:

>>> its at the whim of the retailer. Linkysys PAP2-NA's for
>>> example do not have adaptors in their box.
>>>

>> Though strangely their Vonage counterparts usually come
>> with 1.

> My Fritz!Box came with 2, the Sipura 1001 had one. The Sipura 2000 didn't
> but only because I bought it direct from the US.
>
> Ivor

My Cisco 468 didn't (afaict didn't need one), the PAP2-NA's didn't, the
Vonage ones came with 1, the Zoom X5v's came with one (only 1 port on
them, so no hardship), the AG-468's didn't come with any (but then I did
import them from China).

Not really much fuss, I think I only paid a pound for them last time I
bought one anyway.

tony p

Adapters available from Maplin UK.

"Dave Saville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>I see the above is needed with a PAP2 for an standard BT phone to be used.
>What
> exactly does than mean? How can I tell? I have some that came with an old
> fax
> switch, took one apart and it seems to have three wires connected.
>
> TIA
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> Dave Saville
>
> NB Remove -nospam for good email address

Dave Saville

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:31:41 +0200, tony p wrote:

>Adapters available from Maplin UK.

Thanks Tony

What I really wanted to know was how to tell if the one just found at the back
of a drawer had a ring circuit/capacitor. As someone else replied I guess it is
"suck it and see".

--

Regards

Dave Saville