Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 2500 RAM

Cisco 2500 RAM

David Jones

I want to make sure I have this correct before i go purchasing any equipment
to begin studying my CCNA. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to computers
and such, but seeing as I am GREEN when it comes to Routers and such, I
don't want to make an expensive mistake.

If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM, could
I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
house? I know Cisco's official documantation, found at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094e93.shtml
says

"Physically, all the boards have one single inline memory module (SIMM) slot
(72-pin, 70 ns)."

So based on that, would it be possible to install a 60 ns 72-pin SIMM from
my old Pentium 200 I have in a closet? I would think so because RAM will
typically run slower than it's max speed if it is installed in a slower
machine or with slower RAM. My concern here is that I'm thinking logically,
and experience has dictated that that's not always the best method.

Also, is there a generic equivalent to the two 80-pin 120 ns FLash SIMMs?

Thanks ~ David

Doug McIntyre

"David Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM, could
>I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
>house?

Possibly, it should work. The 16M SIMMs aren't too picky, but the 8M are.
Memory speeds on this router shouldn't be too much of an issue, its
pretty old and slow.

>Also, is there a generic equivalent to the two 80-pin 120 ns FLash SIMMs?

Not that you'll find in your PC, but there's plenty of memory vendors
around that sell fairly decently priced memory for Cisco
routers. Crucial has a section for Cisco, but they probably don't
carry anything anymore for the 2500's. Memoryx has both DRAM and Flash
for the 2500 online at reasonable rates.

--
Doug McIntyre (E-Mail Removed)
Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

Verton Harro

David,

> If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM, could
> I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
> house?

> Also, is there a generic equivalent to the two 80-pin 120 ns FLash SIMMs?

We have well over a hunderd 25xx routers still in operation (he, if it ain't broke... .

I bought both DRAM and Flash online at http://www.anthonypanda.com. Excellent service, quick
delivery. But check your kit first. There are different types of Flash modules, some need a
minimum bootstap version...
--

Kind regards,
Harro Verton

Infrastructure Architect
Ministrie of the Flemish Community
Brussels, Belgium

Ted Mittelstaedt

"David Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I want to make sure I have this correct before i go purchasing any

equipment
> to begin studying my CCNA. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to

computers
> and such, but seeing as I am GREEN when it comes to Routers and such, I
> don't want to make an expensive mistake.
>
> If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM,

could
> I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
> house?

yes, if it's NON-Parity, and NON-EDO. EDO ram will not work in this router.
Most
Pentium's above 133Mhz could use either EDO or regular "FPM". 486's of
course used parity
ram. Most old macintoshes used non parity non-edo ram.

Ted

Spam Me No More

Hi,

Auction # 3052313026 on eBay is for 16 MB DRAM for Cisco 2500s and it's
$11.99 on "Buy It Now".

I've ordered 64MB for my 4700s on ebay...cost me $25.

Lars

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>"David Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>

>>I want to make sure I have this correct before i go purchasing any
>>

>equipment
>

>>to begin studying my CCNA. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to
>>

>computers
>

>>and such, but seeing as I am GREEN when it comes to Routers and such, I
>>don't want to make an expensive mistake.
>>
>>If I were to buy a Cisco 2501 Router with less than the 16MB max RAM,
>>

>could
>

>>I install a 16MB 72-pin SIMM from an old computer I have lying around the
>>house?
>>

>yes, if it's NON-Parity, and NON-EDO. EDO ram will not work in this router.
>Most
>Pentium's above 133Mhz could use either EDO or regular "FPM". 486's of
>course used parity
>ram. Most old macintoshes used non parity non-edo ram.
>
>Ted

SD

even then, the boot roms can be upgraded as well...
news:(E-Mail Removed)...