Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cisco IP phone and VOIP

Cisco IP phone and VOIP

robustini

Hi All

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Can a Cisco IP phone (cp7912) work with skype. If so I would be very
grateful for instructions.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, robustini popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...
|Hi All
|
|Apologies if this has been covered before.
|

|Can a Cisco IP phone (cp7912) work with skype. If so I would be very
|grateful for instructions.
|
|Thanks in anticipation
|
|Rob

Skype is NOT VoIP, is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other Instant Messengers
with the "voice" feature.
VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known and publicly
recognized standards), Skype has a proprietary closed standard.
Skype uses some sort of P2P structure, using slices of bandwidth of your
connection - if you have a medium-cut broadband - to relay other
people's calls.
I won't touch it with a bargepole, huge risk of bandwidth clogging and
security issues.
No "real" VoIP hardware can work with Skype, as the protocol is not
known. There is some hardware to be used connected to a PC through USB
and with Skype running on the same PC.
This defeats the scope of VoIP, to be a complete substitution to the old
PSTN phone line.
--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid

robustini

Thanks for the prompt reply. It was well explained.

I suppose my question really is : Is there any way I can use a cisco
7912 phone together with skype?
The reason for this is I have plenty of cisco phones for sale and I
get lots of potential customers asking "can I use this for skype" My
current reply to them is : I dont know.

thanks again
Bob

Chris Davies

robustini <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I suppose my question really is : Is there any way I can use a cisco
> 7912 phone together with skype?

No. Like the OP wrote: Skype uses proprietary protocols; the Cisco 7912
works to VoIP standards.

Chris

▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, robustini popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...

|Thanks for the prompt reply. It was well explained.
|
|I suppose my question really is : Is there any way I can use a cisco
|7912 phone together with skype?
| The reason for this is I have plenty of cisco phones for sale and I
|get lots of potential customers asking "can I use this for skype" My
|current reply to them is : I dont know.
|
|thanks again
|Bob

Your answer must be "No", Skype does not (and will not) release to the
public their protocol (for safety reasons, they say - because if we knew
the dirty tricks in it we would ban it, I say) and you could use my
previous answer to direct them towards the light...
A Cisco phone (or any proper VoIP phone or ATA) is way better than the
Skype in every aspect (reliability, security, portability, etc...) and
is way cheaper (some providers offer some destinations FREE, even if you
call a fixed phone in a foreign country, or give you options for fixed
price packages all-inclusive like some mobile carriers do).
All in all, Skype had the luck of the backing from a big company, if it
wasn't it will have drowned in the overcrowded IM area like Yahoo's and
co.
If you need any help to back your business, feel free to post here.

Cheers
--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid

Ivor Jones

"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) er.co.uk

[snip]

> Skype is NOT VoIP, is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other
> Instant Messengers with the "voice" feature.

<pedant>
Not strictly true, Skype *is* VoIP but it uses a closed proprietary
protocol so is not compatible with SIP etc. phones or ATA's.

> VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known
> and publicly recognized standards), Skype has a
> proprietary closed standard.

See above. It is VoIP but not as we know it..!
</pedant>

There are adaptors available to plug into the USB port of a PC running
Skype, but you won't AFAIK find any standalone device that will run Skype
without a PC, with the exception of some PDA's which can run it.

Ivor

▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...

|"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|news:(E-Mail Removed) der.co.uk
|
|[snip]
|
|> Skype is NOT VoIP, is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other
|> Instant Messengers with the "voice" feature.
|
|<pedant>
|Not strictly true, Skype *is* VoIP but it uses a closed proprietary
|protocol so is not compatible with SIP etc. phones or ATA's.
|
|> VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known
|> and publicly recognized standards), Skype has a
|> proprietary closed standard.
|
|See above. It is VoIP but not as we know it..!
|</pedant>
|
|There are adaptors available to plug into the USB port of a PC running
|Skype, but you won't AFAIK find any standalone device that will run Skype
|without a PC, with the exception of some PDA's which can run it.
|
|Ivor

Seen from your POW, even Yahoo and the new MSN Messenger are VoIP then.
But they're not, IMPOW, because all they (Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc...) are
Instant Messengers WITH voice AND webcam features.
The difference between Skype and the latter is that the traffic does not
travel through intermediate servers, but uses a dirty (IMPOW) trick to
exploit users with large bandwidth and public IP making them carry
traffic between two users behind routers or other NAT devices.
Huge threat and potential security hole.
I'm not against Skype or other IM (I'm using Yahoo at this very
moment!), but I'd like to draw a line between VoIP and IM.

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid

Ivor Jones

"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) er.co.uk

[snip]

> Seen from your POW, even Yahoo and the new MSN Messenger
> are VoIP then. But they're not, IMPOW, because all they
> (Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc...) are Instant Messengers WITH
> voice AND webcam features.
> The difference between Skype and the latter is that the
> traffic does not travel through intermediate servers, but
> uses a dirty (IMPOW) trick to exploit users with large
> bandwidth and public IP making them carry traffic between
> two users behind routers or other NAT devices.
> Huge threat and potential security hole.
> I'm not against Skype or other IM (I'm using Yahoo at
> this very moment!), but I'd like to draw a line between
> VoIP and IM.

I'm speaking merely from a technical viewpoint. If it uses IP, which all
internet traffic does, and it transmits voice, then it is, strictly
speaking, Voice over IP.

SIP, IAX, H323 and all the other protocols, Skype and IM included, are
merely implementations of VoIP, but they *are* all VoIP..!

Ivor

▀°dincÁs▓░░░

Recently, Ivor Jones popped out over the fence
around uk.telecom.voip and said...

|"▀°dincÁs▓░░░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|news:(E-Mail Removed) der.co.uk
|
|[snip]
|
|> Seen from your POW, even Yahoo and the new MSN Messenger
|> are VoIP then. But they're not, IMPOW, because all they
|> (Skype, Yahoo, MSN, etc...) are Instant Messengers WITH
|> voice AND webcam features.
|> The difference between Skype and the latter is that the
|> traffic does not travel through intermediate servers, but
|> uses a dirty (IMPOW) trick to exploit users with large
|> bandwidth and public IP making them carry traffic between
|> two users behind routers or other NAT devices.
|> Huge threat and potential security hole.
|> I'm not against Skype or other IM (I'm using Yahoo at
|> this very moment!), but I'd like to draw a line between
|> VoIP and IM.
|
|I'm speaking merely from a technical viewpoint. If it uses IP, which all
|internet traffic does, and it transmits voice, then it is, strictly
|speaking, Voice over IP.
|
|SIP, IAX, H323 and all the other protocols, Skype and IM included, are
|merely implementations of VoIP, but they *are* all VoIP..!
|
|Ivor

Don't get confused between the different ISO/OSI stack levels, Skype and
H323 are on different ISO/OSI levels.
And, most of the internet infrastructure is NOT IP but ATM.
Strange world, uh?
VoIP is VOICE orientated, and Skype is COMMUNICATION orientated (voice,
video, messages, files, email, etc...)

--
▀°dincÁs▓░░░ - The Y2K Druid

Paul Cupis

▀°dincÁs▓░░░ wrote:
> Skype is NOT VoIP,

Of course it is.

> is an IM like Yahoo, MSN or other Instant Messengers
> with the "voice" feature.

Those clients are also capable of VoIP.

> VoIP is based on H323, SIP or IAX (all of them well known and publicly
> recognized standards),

No, VoIP is based on IP - the clue is in the name.