Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Postback with no delay??

Postback with no delay??

Alex D.

Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like very
much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed to do the
postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost unnoticeable!

I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks (a
white page in the middle)

Is there any way I can do like wachovia?

Thanks,

Alex.

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaGFyZCBIYXVlcg==?=

The postback is just "reloading" the page from the server. The amount of
time this takes will be a function of:

1) Your internet connection speed & your PC's speed
2) The size of the page you are trying to load
3) The internet connection speed and server speed of the host - in this
case, Wachovia Bank

There are lots of things you can do to speed up your pages such as:
- Frugal use of ViewState
- Careful management of server-side caching
- Disabling tracing and AutoEventWireup
- Precomiling pages, etc, etc

There are lots of great resources for this kind of thing - try Googling
"ASP.Net performance"

HTH,

Richard.

"Alex D." wrote:

> Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like very
> much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed to do the
> postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost unnoticeable!
>
> I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
> very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks (a
> white page in the middle)
>

> Is there any way I can do like wachovia?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alex.

Alvin Bruney

There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP will
get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of scripting.
Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick nicely as
well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that will
refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post backs
however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it doesn't
*blink.

--

________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

"Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like
> very much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed to
> do the postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost
> unnoticeable!
>
> I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
> very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks
> (a white page in the middle)
>

> Is there any way I can do like wachovia?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alex.

Alex D.

Thanks for your suggestions. But as I said my pages are reallyyy small (10k)
and I am accessing the site at full 100 mb/s in my intranet and I can still
see very clearly the blank page between postbacks. Also Wachovia pages dont
seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very close you will se that
actually the hole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox or Opera do ...not
like IE.

"Richard Hauer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The postback is just "reloading" the page from the server. The amount of
> time this takes will be a function of:
>
> 1) Your internet connection speed & your PC's speed
> 2) The size of the page you are trying to load
> 3) The internet connection speed and server speed of the host - in this
> case, Wachovia Bank
>
> There are lots of things you can do to speed up your pages such as:
> - Frugal use of ViewState
> - Careful management of server-side caching
> - Disabling tracing and AutoEventWireup
> - Precomiling pages, etc, etc
>
> There are lots of great resources for this kind of thing - try Googling
> "ASP.Net performance"
>
> HTH,
>
> Richard.
>
> "Alex D." wrote:
>
>> Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like
>> very
>> much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed to do
>> the
>> postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost unnoticeable!
>>
>> I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
>> very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks
>> (a
>> white page in the middle)
>>

>> Is there any way I can do like wachovia?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex.

Alex D.

Wachovia pages dont seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very close
you will se that actually the whoole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox or
Opera do ...not like IE. This refresh is happening VERY fast to the
eye...but is happening in the whole page. ???!!!

"Alvin Bruney" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP will
> get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of scripting.
> Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick nicely
> as well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that will
> refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post
> backs however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it
> doesn't *blink.
>
> --
>
> ________________________
> Warm regards,
> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>
> [Shameless Author plug]
> Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
> The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
> www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
> Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin
>
> "Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like
>> very much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed
>> to do the postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost
>> unnoticeable!
>>
>> I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
>> very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks
>> (a white page in the middle)
>>

>> Is there any way I can do like wachovia?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex.

=?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=

1. Avoid viewstate like the plague. Unless really necessary.
2. Use light weight objects such as the repeater instead of the datagrid or
gridview. I guess Microsoft thinks everyone is running top of the line
machines for their servers.
3. Avoid session state all together. Session slows the performance of the
machine running the web app. Hidden fields is an alternate.
4. Enable Content Expiration for the web site.
5. Use datareader instead of dataset or other bulky objects for data access.

There are many other performance tuning techiques available. Google building
performance driven applications using asp.net. That should get you some good
reading material on the subject. It really is an art itself.

--
-Demetri

"Alex D." wrote:

> Wachovia pages dont seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very close
> you will se that actually the whoole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox or
> Opera do ...not like IE. This refresh is happening VERY fast to the
> eye...but is happening in the whole page. ???!!!
>

> "Alvin Bruney" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP will
> > get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of scripting.
> > Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick nicely
> > as well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that will
> > refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post
> > backs however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it
> > doesn't *blink.
> >
> > --
> >
> > ________________________
> > Warm regards,
> > Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
> >
> > [Shameless Author plug]
> > Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
> > The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
> > www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
> > Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin
> >
> > "Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like
> >> very much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed
> >> to do the postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost
> >> unnoticeable!
> >>
> >> I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
> >> very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks
> >> (a white page in the middle)
> >>

> >> Is there any way I can do like wachovia?
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Alex.

=?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=

By the way, do you have a url to show us what exactly you are looking at? We
may have different experiences with the pages you are viewing.

--
-Demetri

"Alex D." wrote:

> Wachovia pages dont seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very close
> you will se that actually the whoole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox or
> Opera do ...not like IE. This refresh is happening VERY fast to the
> eye...but is happening in the whole page. ???!!!
>

> "Alvin Bruney" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP will
> > get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of scripting.
> > Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick nicely
> > as well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that will
> > refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post
> > backs however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it
> > doesn't *blink.
> >
> > --
> >
> > ________________________
> > Warm regards,
> > Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
> >
> > [Shameless Author plug]
> > Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
> > The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
> > www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
> > Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin
> >
> > "Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Recently I realized the Wachovia bank switched to asp.net pages. I like
> >> very much the way they did it and I would like to know how they managed
> >> to do the postbacks and the blinking between postbacks is almost
> >> unnoticeable!
> >>
> >> I my sites even when browsing in the local network and the pages are very
> >> very small I still can clearly see the blinking between pages postbacks
> >> (a white page in the middle)
> >>

> >> Is there any way I can do like wachovia?
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Alex.

Alex D.

maybe you are right and the datagrid is causing the problem. the page I was
using to make tests just have a label and a colorfull datagrid. also maybe
using soft colors will smooth the transition between pages.

"Demetri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Avoid viewstate like the plague. Unless really necessary.
> 2. Use light weight objects such as the repeater instead of the datagrid
> or
> gridview. I guess Microsoft thinks everyone is running top of the line
> machines for their servers.
> 3. Avoid session state all together. Session slows the performance of the
> machine running the web app. Hidden fields is an alternate.
> 4. Enable Content Expiration for the web site.
> 5. Use datareader instead of dataset or other bulky objects for data
> access.
>
> There are many other performance tuning techiques available. Google
> building
> performance driven applications using asp.net. That should get you some
> good
> reading material on the subject. It really is an art itself.
>
> --
> -Demetri
>

> "Alex D." wrote:
>
>> Wachovia pages dont seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very
>> close
>> you will se that actually the whoole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox
>> or
>> Opera do ...not like IE. This refresh is happening VERY fast to the
>> eye...but is happening in the whole page. ???!!!
>>

>> "Alvin Bruney" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP
>> > will
>> > get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of
>> > scripting.
>> > Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick
>> > nicely
>> > as well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that
>> > will
>> > refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post
>> > backs however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it
>> > doesn't *blink.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > ________________________
>> > Warm regards,
>> > Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>> >
>> > [Shameless Author plug]
>> > Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
>> > The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
>> > www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
>> > Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin
>> > -------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > "Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Alex D.

unfortunately the site I am talking about is already in use and is private.
but as I tried with opera and firefox and they perform MUCH better than
IE....but MUCH better to the point that you dont see the postbacks blinks at
all!!

"Demetri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By the way, do you have a url to show us what exactly you are looking at?
> We
> may have different experiences with the pages you are viewing.
>
> --
> -Demetri
>

> "Alex D." wrote:
>
>> Wachovia pages dont seem to use ajax since if you pay attention very
>> close
>> you will se that actually the whoole page is refreshing BUT like Firefox
>> or
>> Opera do ...not like IE. This refresh is happening VERY fast to the
>> eye...but is happening in the whole page. ???!!!
>>

>> "Alvin Bruney" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > There are a couple of approaches if you are not running 2.0. XML-HTTP
>> > will
>> > get you what you want however, the page will contain a lot of
>> > scripting.
>> > Behaviors with the webservice htc implementation will do the trick
>> > nicely
>> > as well. 2.0 supports script call backs and out of band calling that
>> > will
>> > refresh portions of the screen. Note that these methods are still post
>> > backs however, since the entire page does not need to be redrawn, it
>> > doesn't *blink.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > ________________________
>> > Warm regards,
>> > Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>> >
>> > [Shameless Author plug]
>> > Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
>> > The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
>> > www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
>> > Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin
>> > -------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > "Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?RGVtZXRyaQ==?=

Nah, colors have no bearing on performance. It may only assist in an illusion
that there is no blinking (e.g. white page background versus a dark page
background). But that has nothing to do with performance.

Another thing, don't have images if possible. Some sites i've created have a
brand or logo and thats fine. But I stay away from using images if I can.
That is less info that has to be downloaded to the client.

Again, there are many articles on this subject. I pay attention to those
written by microsoft since they know the "under the hood" better than others
would. MSDN Magazine, and MSDN, as well as Patterns and Practices.

--
-Demetri