Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Any equivalent of sipdiscount (price) that passes DMTF ?

Any equivalent of sipdiscount (price) that passes DMTF ?

Sean

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KHYcg.1005$(E-Mail Removed)

>>> On, for example, SPA-3000 Line 1 tab:
>>> DTMF Tx Method:INFO
>>>

>> mmmm don't have that otion on the Fritz!box

> I have no problems with DTMF on the Fritz!Box using Sipgate, Gradwell and
> FWD.
>
> Ivor

sipdiscount are a pain tho!

Jim

>> I have no problems with DTMF on the Fritz!Box using Sipgate, Gradwell and
>> FWD.
>>
>> Ivor
>>

> sipdiscount are a pain tho!

I have to agree its only sipdiscount that I have the problem with

Martin²

This thread neatly exposes the problem with SIP:
Different 'names' for DTMF settings, different way to set them on various
software / hardware,
different settings needed for various providers...
No wonder VoIP is still for Geeks only !
Regards,
Martin

Kev

Hello Martin²,

> This thread neatly exposes the problem with SIP:
> Different 'names' for DTMF settings, different way to set them on
> various
> software / hardware,
> different settings needed for various providers...
> No wonder VoIP is still for Geeks only !
> Regards,
> Martin

I couldn't agree more. I made the switch to SIP VoIP last month and it took
me a full day of my time to get the handset and provider working satisfactorily.
Most of the issues came from the terminology, my handset mfr referring to
one setting as X and the SIP provider the same setting as Y.

Now I'm not averse to spending time RTFM, hell I'm a software dev and web
hosting security guy and in the past I've cut my teeth as an ISP network
tech, attended RIPE meetings, trailed the country as a DG field engineer
etc etc so I'm no stranger to mfr technical documentation, RFC's and the
like.

But all I wanted to do was sign up, plug in and use my shiney new phone.
You're absolutely right about VoIP being "for Geeks only" after that experience.
Ultimately I have no interest in what an RTP port is, which vocoder to choose
or what the difference is in sending DTMF in audio or via FTP or via SIP
info etc etc.

How hard can it be to at least produce consistent unified documentation that
doesn't require me to spend ages hunting far and wide on forums, wiki's,
newsgroups and cracks and corners of the web to try and decipher a new terminology
that I neither really care about nor have the *time* to understand in any
great depth?...and it is made especially annoying when one mfr calls a thing
X but a different vendor calls the same thing Y and the VoIP provider calls
it Z. This is why SIP VoIP will remain almost exclusively in the domain of
the techs for a good while.

At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it's just a phone.

Ah...That's better.

Ke

Thomas Kenyon

Kev wrote:

> This is why SIP VoIP will remain
> almost exclusively in the domain of the techs for a good while.

Maybe some of us can make money setting VoIP systems up then.

Should have used an IAX2 phone instead, none of that nasty RTP data :-p.
*fx-hides*.

I thought the DMTF signalling was more related to the codec being used,
since the same problem occurs with H.323 and IAX.

> At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it's just a phone.

yeah but, no but, yeah but it does stuff an umm.

> Ah...That's better.
>
> Kev

Brian A

On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:18:40 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kev wrote:
>
>> This is why SIP VoIP will remain
>> almost exclusively in the domain of the techs for a good while.
>>

>Maybe some of us can make money setting VoIP systems up then.

Well, yes. However, you have to bear in mind that non-geeks can always
go for Vonage, Freetalk etc. The box is ready set up and is likely to
work OK. It isn't as cost effective but most people can't see into the
long term. If you said pay me £x to set up a box and it'll be cheaper
than Vonage in the long run they wouldn't be able to see it. My next
door neighour pays 5 times more for her water than I do. I advised her
long ago to get a meter but she said it would cost her to get one
fitted. She could have paid for that easily in what she would have
saved but she is like so many others who can't see much further than
the end of their noses.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Ivor Jones

"Kev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk

[snip]

> How hard can it be to at least produce consistent unified
> documentation that doesn't require me to spend ages
> hunting far and wide on forums, wiki's, newsgroups and
> cracks and corners of the web to try and decipher a new
> terminology that I neither really care about nor have the
> *time* to understand in any great depth?...and it is made especially
> annoying when
> one mfr calls a thing X but a different vendor calls the same thing Y
> and the
> VoIP provider calls it Z. This is why SIP VoIP will remain almost
> exclusively
> in the domain of the techs for a good while.
>
> At the end of the day as far as I'm concerned it's just a
> phone.
> Ah...That's better.

That's one advantage of the AVM Fritz!Box range, they are literally in my
experience plug & play. When I first got mine, I entered my ISP details
for the modem, my SIP ID's and passwords for VoIP and away it went. True,
I did a little fine tuning later, but it took me all of 5 minutes to get a
working system up & running.

The down side of the Fritz is there is so little to configure for us geeks
<g>

Ivor

sipdiscount users (5 euros) UK VOIP 2 10-14-2005 04:24 PM
sipdiscount J Smith UK VOIP 5 10-11-2005 01:50 AM
DMTF "MOF" format Clifford Heath Ruby 0 10-30-2003 11:26 AM

Advertisments