Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Clock Signal in VHDL

Clock Signal in VHDL

Sebastian Klemper

Hello,

this is a total newbie question:

At first, there are a lot of words relating to "hardware programming" of
which I'm not aware. So, I hope everyone will understand what I write...

I try to simulate a short program with VHDL Simili 3.0 (free Version).
The program is a "running light" what switches for a short moment LEDs
on, from the one side to the other and vice versa. (like Kitt's Scanner
in Knight Rider). At university, I loaded to compiled program to a
"starter kit board". This board provides a 50 MHz clock signal and the
above mentioned program uses this signal. Because I don't have this
board at home, I'm looking for a way to get such a signal in the simulator.

Is it possible to write somthing like this in VHDL? Or perhaps, can I
cause the simulator to switch periodically a signal on and off?

Thanks in advance,
Johannes - hopping that everyone understands my request

Mike Treseler

Sebastian Klemper wrote:
> This board provides a 50 MHz clock signal and the
> above mentioned program uses this signal. Because I don't have this
> board at home, I'm looking for a way to get such a signal in the simulator.

Yes. A testbench process can drive the
clock signal using a wait statement.
Search for tb_clk in the reference testbench here:

http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/

-- Mike Treseler