Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Need help with hosting multiple sites

Need help with hosting multiple sites

Rabel

Hey Guys, I have to have a certain hosting package (to use the
langauges I need) with a lot of extra space. I have a friend who needs
a small site to show a few projects to employers, so I would like to
help them by putting a folder in my directory - but the big problem is
that it doesnt look good if the url is
www.mysite.com/friendssite/index.html.

Now I have URL Masking which I think I can use for this, but this is a
new area for me. Any help is greatly appriecated - also I was
wondering how instead of it being like this
www.mysite.com/friendssite/index.html how do you do it like this
www.friendssite.mysite.com/index.html. and does that work the same
way. Thanks

Randy

ironcorona

Rabel wrote:

This is off topic for this group but...

Both of these things need to be done at the server end.

> Now I have URL Masking which I think I can use for this, but this is a
> new area for me. Any help is greatly appriecated -

You can purchase the domain name www.friendssite.com and have that name
set up to resolve to www.mysite.com/friendssite/ or whatever you want
[you could have it set up to resolve to google.com if you REALLY want]
by setting up a simple HTTP redirect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_redirection

If you want what's typed into the address bar to be the url it resolves
to then check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_hosting

This maps the URL to the hosting files so
www.mysite.com/friendssite/first_page.html would become
www.friendsite.com/first_page.html

> also I was
> wondering how instead of it being like this
> www.mysite.com/friendssite/index.html how do you do it like this
> www.friendssite.mysite.com/index.html.

For this you'll have to set up a sub domain. You should read your
hosting company's literature to see if they allow it [they should] and
how to do it.

--
Brian O'Connor (ironcorona)

Rabel