Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Attacking the CCNP Mountain

Attacking the CCNP Mountain

JohnNews

Folks:

I have finally been able to get 95% of the equipment for my CCNP/CCIE lab.
Now I am about to start climbing the CCNP mountain. ?

I would like to get some advice (from group members) about which of the CCNP
exams I should start off with. Also, where can I find a current course
outline for the various CCNP courses

Any information and links deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
John.

Marcin Strzyzewski

JohnNews wrote:
> Folks:
>

> I have finally been able to get 95% of the equipment for my CCNP/CCIE lab.
> Now I am about to start climbing the CCNP mountain. ?
>
> I would like to get some advice (from group members) about which of the CCNP
> exams I should start off with. Also, where can I find a current course
> outline for the various CCNP courses

it depends. if you feel good on routing go 1st, then switching, RA
and CIT for last one. but there are people with other order

course outline : www.cisco.com

m.

Claude LeFort

i did Switching, Remote Access, then Troubleshooting
I found routing to be the most difficult (at the time) so left it for the
last, but have seen other postings where people felt that troubleshooting
was the hardest.
The order will depend on your background. take the easier courses first, so
that you can get a feeling for Cisco's questions

The following link describes the main topics for all exams. you can't pass
the exams (easily) without this link. Your book may cover a topic
extensively that is not on the exam. My last exam (Managing Cisco Network
Security) covered the Pix firewall extensively, but it was not a topic on
the exam.
the CiscoPress books can't keep up to the changing exams. i would suggest
looking at the topics, and download any additional material from
www.Cisco.com that is not covered in your book

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/learning/...aths_home.html

Claude

--

*****to e-mail me directly remove NOSPAM in e-mail address*******

"JohnNews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Folks:
>

> I have finally been able to get 95% of the equipment for my CCNP/CCIE lab.
> Now I am about to start climbing the CCNP mountain. ?
>
> I would like to get some advice (from group members) about which of the

CCNP
> exams I should start off with. Also, where can I find a current course
> outline for the various CCNP courses
>
> Any information and links deeply appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> John.

Jason Whiteaker

Hi John,

I was a bit of the odd man out. Since I was paying for the exams out of
pocket (and not wanting to pay for the privilege of failing!), I took
the Support exam FIRST ($125). Then, I took the combined switching,
routing, and remote access exam (100-110 questions, $250, back in May
before the recent exam changes). That way, I only had to deal with two
exams. I believe it's now three, as I think Cisco combined the
switching/routing components. If you pass the combined exam on the first
try (or conversely fail just one of the separate exams), then you might
save a few bucks taking the high road.

I passed the Support exam on the first try, and the combined
switching/routing/remote access exam on the second try. It's difficult
to say that if I had taken the four exams separately, I would have saved
money. However, it was also a psychological thing - I wanted to get the
pressure of testing out of the way! Maybe that will be an additional
incentive for you, too.

Best of luck. BTW, I'm thankful that I buckled down and got the cert out
of the way. My job was outsourced in June, and though I'm still job
hunting, there have been several instances where had I not had the CCNP
cert, I wouldn't have made it to the initial phone interview despite
many years of experience/education (but let's not start another flame
war on the degree vs. cert issue! . The CCNP has proven its worth to
me and has at least opened some doors that nothing else outside of it did!

-Jason