Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Secured or unsecured?

Secured or unsecured?

Rosie

When I click on 'Connect To' on the Start menu, the Network Connections box
on my PC opens with the following information on a single line,only:

'Local Area Connection Lan or High Speed Internet Connected, Firewalled,
Via Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter'

- it doesn't show whether it is Secure or Unsecured is this right? I
click on View/Icons and only the icon appears and there is no further
information about the connection.

This means that when I have my PC with Router and my laptop switched on at
the same time and both are shown on their respective taskbars, as Wi-Fi
connected, the laptop connection doesn't show up in the PC's 'Connect
To'/Network Connections' window? Is this right?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Each computer shows its own connections, it does not know what the other
computers have.

In regular infrastructure Wireless mode (when using a Router or Access
Point). Windows Wireless utility (WZC) shows if a Wireless Source (Wireless
Router, or Access Point) are secured it does not show other computers
existence or their status.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Rosie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eZx$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I click on 'Connect To' on the Start menu, the Network Connections
> box on my PC opens with the following information on a single line,only:
>
> 'Local Area Connection Lan or High Speed Internet Connected, Firewalled,
> Via Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter'
>
> - it doesn't show whether it is Secure or Unsecured is this right? I
> click on View/Icons and only the icon appears and there is no further
> information about the connection.
>

> This means that when I have my PC with Router and my laptop switched on
> at the same time and both are shown on their respective taskbars, as Wi-Fi
> connected, the laptop connection doesn't show up in the PC's 'Connect
> To'/Network Connections' window? Is this right?

Rosie

Thank you. If I understand you, what you are saying is - my PC with the
Router only should show its security status. If this is so, then my wireless
source is not doing this!

By the way, I had my laptop with me when I was visiting recently, where
there is no wireless connection. When I switched it on, it connected to a
wireless connection 'Linksys', which was unsecured, no one, where I was
staying had any idea where it was located. Also showing in the same 'Connect
To' window as Linksys, were to other wireless connections, which were both
secured. It is all very confusing!

Rosie
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Each computer shows its own connections, it does not know what the other
> computers have.
>
> In regular infrastructure Wireless mode (when using a Router or Access
> Point). Windows Wireless utility (WZC) shows if a Wireless Source
> (Wireless Router, or Access Point) are secured it does not show other
> computers existence or their status.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Rosie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eZx$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I click on 'Connect To' on the Start menu, the Network Connections
>> box on my PC opens with the following information on a single line,only:
>>
>> 'Local Area Connection Lan or High Speed Internet Connected, Firewalled,
>> Via Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter'
>>
>> - it doesn't show whether it is Secure or Unsecured is this right? I
>> click on View/Icons and only the icon appears and there is no further
>> information about the connection.
>>

>> This means that when I have my PC with Router and my laptop switched on
>> at the same time and both are shown on their respective taskbars, as
>> Wi-Fi connected, the laptop connection doesn't show up in the PC's
>> 'Connect To'/Network Connections' window? Is this right?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Well, Wireless signal is Wireless. I.e. if the neighbor next door has his
own Wireless it would show up.

The name of the Wireless connection is usually the SSID name of the Wireless
Router. Linksys Routers come with default SSID "Linksys" and many people
(unwisely) leave it this way.

You might want to read these few pages, it might help casting some light on
the "Shadowy" world of Wireless Mysteries.

http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal

Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...