Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Setting Right Margin

Setting Right Margin

Fred

I'm looking for a straight forward way to set the right margin -- similar
to using <DIR> for the left margin.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Fred
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in
alt.html,alt.html.editors.webedit,alt.html.editors :

[f'ups to alt.html, alt.html.editors removed as it doesn't exist on my
server]
> I'm looking for a straight forward way to set the right margin

margin-right

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

Jukka K. Korpela

Fred <(E-Mail Removed)> scripsit:

> I'm looking for a straight forward way to set the right margin --
> similar to using <DIR> for the left margin.

Someone still uses <DIR>? Vow! Someone still has faith in this invention
that has long been frowned upon browser vendors and web page authors alike,
abjured and depreciated by the World Wide Web Consortium and other powers,
etc. etc. Most of us mortals have long ago decided - if we ever considered
using <DIR> in the rare cases where we would like to use a directory-like
list of items - to use <UL> together with some rocket-science level CSS such
as ul { list-style-type: none; }.

In that case, try <DIR DIR="RTL">. It may have some side effects, though.

Follow-ups randomized as usual. "The average usefulness of a thread is
inversely
proportional to the cube of the number of groups it is posted to."

Note to newbies: The above message may contain some irony. Here's the boring
part: Don't use <DIR>. Use e.g. <div class="note">...</div> instead (or
attach class="note" to some existing or some more semantic element that you
wish to indent) and use a CSS rule like .note { margin-left: 1em; }. To set
right margin, use margin-right instead of margin-left.

Fred

I'm looking for a straight forward way to set the right margin -- similar
to using <DIR> for the left margin.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Fred
<(E-Mail Removed)> declared in
alt.html,alt.html.editors.webedit,alt.html.editors :

> I'm looking for a straight forward way to set the right margin

The answers haven't changed in the last 2 weeks.

--
Mark Parnell
My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Fred

Thanks, Jukka!! Unfortunately, I am sub-newbie.... sub-sub-newbie to be
exact...... which translates to .... I don't know what the heck "note" (in

Can you give me an example? See how the text in this message is 1/8-inch
never touches the left or right margin? Exactly how do you code a page to
give the same margin?

Your buddy,
Fred

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Note to newbies: The above message may contain some irony. Here's the

boring
> part: Don't use <DIR>. Use e.g. <div class="note">...</div> instead (or
> attach class="note" to some existing or some more semantic element that

you
> wish to indent) and use a CSS rule like .note { margin-left: 1em; }. To

set
> right margin, use margin-right instead of margin-left.

Fred

"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> The answers haven't changed in the last 2 weeks.

I know, that's why I'm still asking. Still waiting for someone who
understands the question.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Fred"
<(E-Mail Removed)> vouchsafed:

> Thanks, Jukka!! Unfortunately, I am sub-newbie.... sub-sub-newbie to
> be exact...... which translates to .... I don't know what the heck
> "note" (in <div class="note">...</div>) means.

....And if you are as incapable of finding out as it seems, you might as
well give up now and save yourself some frustration.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Jonathan N. Little

Fred wrote:
> Thanks, Jukka!! Unfortunately, I am sub-newbie.... sub-sub-newbie to be
> exact...... which translates to .... I don't know what the heck "note" (in
>
> Can you give me an example? See how the text in this message is 1/8-inch
> never touches the left or right margin? Exactly how do you code a page to
> give the same margin?

<head>
<title>Your Title</title>

BODY { margin-right: 2em; }
</head>
character widths adjust as desired</p>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Chaddy2222

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Fred wrote:
> > Thanks, Jukka!! Unfortunately, I am sub-newbie.... sub-sub-newbie to be
> > exact...... which translates to .... I don't know what the heck "note" (in
> >
> > Can you give me an example? See how the text in this message is 1/8-inch
> > never touches the left or right margin? Exactly how do you code a page to
> > give the same margin?

> <head>
> <title>Your Title</title>

> BODY { margin-right: 2em; }
> </head>
> character widths adjust as desired</p>

That looks good.
By the way my new design is now complete, well at the moment it is
anyway, http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc
But, I will say though that setting margens and padding seams to be one
of the harder things to get right, both in CSS and web design
generally.
Oh on the subject of padding, to the op, you may need to set that as
well.
Depends on the look that you are going for though.
--
Regards Chad.
Free web design for community groups and organisations!