Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cannot access internet while connected thru VPN

Cannot access internet while connected thru VPN

Mac

One remote user XP Pro, is complaining he can no longer browse the
internet while connected to VPN(Cisco VPN Client 3.5 to 1720 router).
He had no problems prior to installing a recent security update. No
other users experiencing problems, I guess its something to do with
the update but has anyone any idea what the problem may be?

Cheers

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Mac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:One remote user XP Pro, is complaining he can no longer browse the
:internet while connected to VPN(Cisco VPN Client 3.5 to 1720 router).
:He had no problems prior to installing a recent security update. No
ther users experiencing problems, I guess its something to do with
:the update but has anyone any idea what the problem may be?

I don't know much about XP or the VPN client, but just to clear out
the obvious: is it possible that the settings on the client changed
so that split tunneling is no longer being requested?

Also, have you tried reinstalling the VPN client? There's also
a 4.0 version of the client now.
--
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
-- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney

Dave

Funny, I'm having the same issue with Sonicwall Global VPN Client running on
XP Pro. Seems to be an issue with DNS resolution. What happens if you do an
nslookup while the VPN tunnel is active?

Nik Futter

Mac wrote:
> One remote user XP Pro, is complaining he can no longer browse the
> internet while connected to VPN(Cisco VPN Client 3.5 to 1720 router).

It's a knowing problem. You have to configure that the "default route" is
NOT changed to the VPN server. Open the properties for your VPN connection.
Go to "Network". Double click on TCP/IP protocol. Use button "Advanced".
Uncheck the feature "default gateway ..."

If you uncheck the default gateway in your VPN, then your internet browsing
will not route through the tunnel. I have the same problem with XP Pro, but
I believe the actual problem was I am experiencing it VPDN on the router
in conjuction with NAT.

"Nik Futter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk6r53$b3$07$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Mac wrote:
> > One remote user XP Pro, is complaining he can no longer browse the
> > internet while connected to VPN(Cisco VPN Client 3.5 to 1720 router).

> It's a knowing problem. You have to configure that the "default route" is
> NOT changed to the VPN server. Open the properties for your VPN

connection.
> Go to "Network". Double click on TCP/IP protocol. Use button "Advanced".
> Uncheck the feature "default gateway ..."

Nik Futter

> If you uncheck the default gateway in your VPN, then your internet
> browsing will not route through the tunnel.

Yes, and in most cases this is what you want. Why should your internet
browsing go through the VPN tunnel ? Only your network access should go
through the VPN tunnel.

Francois Labreque

Program ended abnormally on 19/09/2003 06:58, Due to a catastrophic Nik
Futter error:
>>If you uncheck the default gateway in your VPN, then your internet
>>browsing will not route through the tunnel.

> Yes, and in most cases this is what you want. Why should your internet
> browsing go through the VPN tunnel ? Only your network access should go
> through the VPN tunnel.

And then you become a backdoor into your network.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
flabreque | terrestrial intelligence is that they never

mcpguy mcpguy is offline
Junior Member

Thanks a lot for help!

cacafaca cacafaca is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Futter
Mac wrote:[color=blue]
It's a knowing problem. You have to configure that the "default route" is
NOT changed to the VPN server. Open the properties for your VPN connection.
Go to "Network". Double click on TCP/IP protocol. Use button "Advanced".
Uncheck the feature "default gateway ..."
You are the man! It works!

Regards.

gaston9x19 gaston9x19 is offline
Junior Member

I've been having this same problem using the VPN client built into Windows XP Pro, and when I uncheck the "Use remote default gateway" option, yes, I can browse while connected to the VPN, but I can no longer ping (or access) remote computers. Thus, while it fixes the browsing issue, it also defeats the whole purpose of a VPN. It works automatically on another laptop with Windows Vista (go figure!), without having to make any changes in it's default configuration, but not on this OS. Help?