Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Wicked Cool Java

Wicked Cool Java

Stefan Ram

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>we ve all done this , long before C was ever invented. serial
>& parallel printer drivers, computer to computer links before
>ethernet , more than 25 years ago.

Some time ago I meet with a friend. I had my Pet 2001 with me.
He had an Apple ][ clone. We connected them with a wire. Then,
we talked about a protocol. Within the next two hours or so we
both implemented it in 6502 machine language, he on his Apple
][ clone and I on my Pet 2001. Afterwards, we were able to
exchange data.

The Pet 2001 had an 8 bit userport. A loudspeaker could be
connected to a single bit (better with a small amplifier in
between). Someone figured out how to use this not only for
playing music, but also for generated speech output (via a
single bit!) using something that is called (IIRC) pulse-width
modulation.

Still, I can not follow the bashing on that book here. The
contents of the book is given in detail on its web site. If
one is interested in this contents, it should make sense to
get a copy of that book. The remarks about »RS232« and so are
not relevant in this regard. The book does not claim to
treat RS232, so it can not be blamed for not treating it.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Dale King wrote:
> A couple more you forgot:
>
> - Sun never made a JavaComm for Linux or Mac

Sun now makes a JavaComm for Linux! Probably in exchange for dropping
the Windows version.

Of course, no one at Sun manages to update their 5+ years old, outdated,
artificial, toy JavaComm FAQ to mention this
http://java.sun.com/products/javacom...aqs/index.html That FAQ
still claims there is no Linux version.

> - JavaComm was written to rely on a completely unnecessary properties
> file

I thought I covered this with the remark about JavaComm being difficult
to deploy via WebStart It is that brain-dead file (not the native
libs, as others have suggested) which makes it a pain to deploy it via JWS.

> I have told people for years to forget about JavaComm and use the open
> source RXTX library which solves many of these problems
> (http://www.rxtx.org).

And, which like everything else, creates new problems or has the same
problems. Last time I looked at it RXTX was also difficult to deploy it
via web-start. It e.g. required super-user rights to set the access
permissions on the serial devices on Linux.

/Thomas

--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

Chris Uppal

Oliver Wong wrote:

> But my understanding is that some of the reviews on the site mentioned
> upthreaded have no reviewer-name at all. The "avoid reprisals" seems to be
> the only reason applicable for this context, but do reviewers really have
> to fear reprisal?

I admit that suggestion was a little frivolous. I imagine that if a publisher
were displeased with a review, then they might apply sanctions[*] to the
website, but hardly to the reviewer.

([*] No more free review books, no more advanced notices, no more invites to
publicity events. All of this on the (unlikely?) assumption that the
publisher is providing these goodies in the first place.)

Here's an imaginary scenario which I think could give rise to unidentified
(more than merely anonymous) reviews. I'm not suggesting that the techbooks
website's history resembles this in any way at all.

Some one (call him/her the editor) starts up a review website. At first all
the reviews are written by the same person, so there is no effective
distinction between the identity of the reviewer and the website itself (for
the purposes of "brand recognition"). I.e. all reviews are perfect reflections
of the editorial policy, and are merely written by an unidentified "staffer",
like many[**] newspaper articles. So there are no "names" on the reviews
themselves.

([**] But not enough. The cult of the reporter gets up my nose. Who /cares/
whether the reporter is John Middlethorpe or Amanda Dickinson. And it's even
worse on television news. Damned inane reporters gibbering platitudes at the
camera, and to cap it all insisting of telling us their names! Why do they
think we care ? Why are they wasting precious broadcasting time with their
personal problems ? Is it so that they may more easily be hunted down and
obliterated !? Anyway <cough/>, getting back to normal service...)

But it's easy to imagine that outsiders might supply reviews as the websites
reputation grows. Maybe even Big Names of the computer industry might do so (a
dream scenario for the editor If so, then they would probably want to
provide names, or at least identifiers. So, now we end up in a situation where
some, but by no means all, of the reviews are identified.

> As Rhino said, the review is less convincing if the reviewer isn't
> willing to stand by and defend his/her judgement.

BTW, my thanks to Rhino for the expression of confidence (some way up-thread).

-- chris

Oliver Wong

"Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-THIS.org> wrote in message
news:4476dc0e$3$653$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Here's an imaginary scenario which I think could give rise to unidentified
> (more than merely anonymous) reviews. I'm not suggesting that the
> techbooks
> website's history resembles this in any way at all.
>
> Some one (call him/her the editor) starts up a review website. At first
> all
> the reviews are written by the same person, so there is no effective
> distinction between the identity of the reviewer and the website itself
> (for
> the purposes of "brand recognition"). I.e. all reviews are perfect
> reflections
> of the editorial policy, and are merely written by an unidentified
> "staffer",
> like many[**] newspaper articles. So there are no "names" on the reviews
> themselves.

[...]
> But it's easy to imagine that outsiders might supply reviews as the
> websites
> reputation grows. Maybe even Big Names of the computer industry might do
> so (a
> dream scenario for the editor If so, then they would probably want
> provide names, or at least identifiers. So, now we end up in a situation
> where
> some, but by no means all, of the reviews are identified.

Okay, makes sense. If I were the editor, when I'd modify the DB to
insert an "author" column, I'd have set the default value of the column to
myself, so that all existing articles are retroactively associated with me,
but maybe that's just me.

- Oliver

Dale King

Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
> Dale King wrote:
>> A couple more you forgot:
>>
>> - Sun never made a JavaComm for Linux or Mac

> Sun now makes a JavaComm for Linux! Probably in exchange for dropping
> the Windows version.
>
> Of course, no one at Sun manages to update their 5+ years old, outdated,
> artificial, toy JavaComm FAQ to mention this
> http://java.sun.com/products/javacom...aqs/index.html That FAQ
> still claims there is no Linux version.

That's news to me.

>> - JavaComm was written to rely on a completely unnecessary properties
>> file

> I thought I covered this with the remark about JavaComm being difficult
> to deploy via WebStart It is that brain-dead file (not the native
> libs, as others have suggested) which makes it a pain to deploy it via JWS.

I agree that is why it is difficult to deploy via webstart, but the
properties file is also factor in using it outside of WebStart. It is an
extra file that they require copying.

I also wanted to highlight just how stupid their use of that proerty
file is. All that properties file has in it is a line like:

Driver=com.sun.comm.Win32Driver

All the API needs this for is to do a Class.forName of that class to
load the class and run initialize on it. You would think that they would
allow you to do that yourself (just like they do with JDBC drivers). But
for some unfathomable reason they were not satisfied with that. For some
reason, they wanted to make absolutely sure that the properties file
existed. Before most operations it makes a call to the security manager
asking if the file is deletable! How stupid is that?

>> I have told people for years to forget about JavaComm and use the open
>> source RXTX library which solves many of these problems
>> (http://www.rxtx.org).

> And, which like everything else, creates new problems or has the same
> problems. Last time I looked at it RXTX was also difficult to deploy it
> via web-start. It e.g. required super-user rights to set the access
> permissions on the serial devices on Linux.

That is more because of Linux and the default permissions in some
distributions than anything to do with RXTX or webstart. If the user
account does not have permissions to use the port there is nothing that
RXTX can do about that.

The thing that really bugs me is when JavaComm is held up as some form
of standard. Just because something comes from Sun does not make it a
standard, especially if they refuse to do any maintenance of it or
include it in the standard install. RXTX is really the standard and
there is no reason to install the JavaComm adapter on top of it.

--
Dale King