Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > PAP2 or SPA1001

PAP2 or SPA1001

Dave Saville

Apart from the two PSTN ports on the PAP2 is there any real difference inside?
'cos the PAP2 seems to be available *much* cheaper.

Thanks.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Tim

Dave Saville wrote:
> Apart from the two PSTN ports on the PAP2 is there any real difference inside?
> 'cos the PAP2 seems to be available *much* cheaper.

They are almost the same.

Beware of devices locked to a service provider.

Tim

Graham

> Beware of devices locked to a service provider.
>
> Tim

I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
year!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Brian A

On 22 May 2006 21:05:00 +0200, "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Beware of devices locked to a service provider.
>>
>> Tim

>I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
>I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
>year!

If I had the same confidence about unlocking I would do it. I had one
that started to load up with the firmware..lights flashing ..all
looking good...then there was a glitch and everything stopped.
After that there was no web interface and it was unusable.
Unless there is a foolproof way of doing it with a PAP2 you can buy
today I'd be loathed to risk it. It is good that you had sucess
though.
For the 1001:
I can't understand why there is such a price difference between the
prices charged in other countries, even the EU, and especially the US,
and here in the UK.
Cheapest I found in the US was 31.
Here they seem to charge between 65 and, yes, 100 on one web site.
I am reluctant to buy when I see such disparity.
Is there any import duty or VAT levied if bought from an EEC country
where VAT has been charged?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Tim Bray

Brian A wrote:

> Is there any import duty or VAT levied if bought from an EEC country
> where VAT has been charged?

EEC vat law is very complicated, but in simple terms.

Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC country
the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

Tim

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Tim Bray writes

>Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC
>country the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.

<apostrophe police>
countries rate = country's rate
</apostrophe police>

Brian A

On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:26:03 +0100, David Floyd <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Tim Bray writes
>>
>>Presuming you aren't VAT registered, then if you buy from an EEC
>>country the seller should apply VAT at their countries rate.
>>

><apostrophe police>
>countries rate = country's rate
></apostrophe police>

You are right David but haven't explained why.
Lots of people don't know the difference.

countries = more than one country.
eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are among the top
countries in the world.

country's = something belonging to that country
The country's capital is Paris.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Ivor Jones

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> You are right David but haven't explained why.
> Lots of people don't know the difference.
>
> countries = more than one country.
> eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are
> among the top countries in the world.
>
> country's = something belonging to that country
> The country's capital is Paris.

But if referring to more than one country as in the original post,
shouldn't it be

"the seller should apply VAT at their countries' rate" - ? (Note the
trailing apostprophe).

Ivor

Lansbury

On 22 May 2006 21:05:00 +0200, "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was going to *commend* the Vonage locked PAP2 from Comet or PC world.
>I had no problem unlocking it and its the best 20 quid I've spent this
>year!

I was going that route until I read somewhere that later versions couldn't be
unlocked. Is that correct and if so is there a way to tell the version before
purchase?

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net

David Floyd

In message of Tue, 23 May 2006, Ivor Jones writes

>"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>[snip]
>
>> You are right David but haven't explained why.
>> Lots of people don't know the difference.
>>
>> countries = more than one country.
>> eg. In relation to economic size Japan and China are
>> among the top countries in the world.
>>
>> country's = something belonging to that country
>> The country's capital is Paris.

>But if referring to more than one country as in the original post,
>shouldn't it be
>
>"the seller should apply VAT at their countries' rate" - ? (Note the
>trailing apostprophe).

You do like to get involved in things don't you Ivor. And keep things
off topic in the newsgroup you created too.

Off topic - the seller cannot be in more than one country at the same
time. Just read it again and think about it, or maybe your problem is
that you read too much of Dexter's unreadable English (if you can call
it that)

spa1001 and pap2 bob garbutt UK VOIP 5 01-25-2008 07:36 AM
SPA1001 / Sipgate - open line? Mick UK VOIP 13 11-01-2006 09:08 PM
Sipura / Linksys SPA1001 Back to back / sipgate Melodicminor UK VOIP 8 09-14-2006 10:11 PM
Optimised settings for SPA1001? Bonnie Bumble UK VOIP 0 07-30-2006 11:07 PM
Sipura SPA1001 Jono UK VOIP 2 07-22-2006 08:58 PM

Advertisments