Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VPN client question

VPN client question

al

Hi all,
I am using Cisco VPN client version 4x to establish a tunnel to a PIX
firewall.
I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there a way for me to be able to browse the Internet while I am
connected to the VPN tunnel.
2. I have a few VPN entries on my client. Is there a way to export the VPN
client settings to another computer so that I don't have to recreate those
VPN entries again?
Thanks,
Al

Walter Roberson

In article <YA97b.362$(E-Mail Removed)>,
al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I am using Cisco VPN client version 4x to establish a tunnel to a PIX
:firewall.
:I have a couple of questions:
:1. Is there a way for me to be able to browse the Internet while I am
:connected to the VPN tunnel.

Yes. In your vpngroup configure a split-tunnel ACL. The ACL should
be written from the point of view of traffic going out of the PIX,
and anything permit'd by the ACL will go through the IPSec tunnel;
anything denied by the ACL will go through the internet.

You also need to request split tunneling on the VPN client.

:2. I have a few VPN entries on my client. Is there a way to export the VPN
:client settings to another computer so that I don't have to recreate those
:VPN entries again?

As I recall, it's a .pcf file you should be looking for.

There is a VPN client administration guide that talks more about
the configuration file and search orders and customizing the logos
and so on.
--
Take care in opening this message: My grasp on reality may have shaken
loose during transmission!

Mike Gallagher

To followup on Walter's point, your profiles (.pcf files) are in the
'Profiles' directory in your VPN Client install directory. In there
resides all your profiles which can be copied over to any other PC you
like.

Mike
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<bjjijn$is3$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <YA97b.362$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :I am using Cisco VPN client version 4x to establish a tunnel to a PIX
> :firewall.
> :I have a couple of questions:
> :1. Is there a way for me to be able to browse the Internet while I am
> :connected to the VPN tunnel.
>
> Yes. In your vpngroup configure a split-tunnel ACL. The ACL should
> be written from the point of view of traffic going out of the PIX,
> and anything permit'd by the ACL will go through the IPSec tunnel;
> anything denied by the ACL will go through the internet.
>
> You also need to request split tunneling on the VPN client.
>

> :2. I have a few VPN entries on my client. Is there a way to export the VPN
> :client settings to another computer so that I don't have to recreate those
> :VPN entries again?
>
> As I recall, it's a .pcf file you should be looking for.
>
> There is a VPN client administration guide that talks more about
> the configuration file and search orders and customizing the logos
> and so on.

al

thanks for your replies,
Al