Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Advice please re. Sipgate

Advice please re. Sipgate

Cap Smith

I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my computer
switched on.

1. What equipment do I need?
2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).
3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

C S

Paul Cupis

Cap Smith wrote:
> I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
> X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my computer
> switched on.
>
> 1. What equipment do I need?

You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
router so it can connect to Sipgate.

> 2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
> computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.

> 3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

Yes.

Cap Smith

"Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4pm4g$2n7r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cap Smith wrote:
>> I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
>> X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my
>> computer
>> switched on.
>>
>> 1. What equipment do I need?

> You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
> Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
> router so it can connect to Sipgate.
>
>> 2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
>> computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

> If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
> abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.
>
>> 3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

> Yes.

Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a SIP phone?

Alex

"Cap Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44706389$0$10778$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Paul Cupis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e4pm4g$2n7r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Cap Smith wrote:
>>> I have just opened an account and it works fine on my computer with the
>>> X-lite software. I now want to receive incoming calls without my
>>> computer
>>> switched on.
>>>
>>> 1. What equipment do I need?

>> You need either a SIP phone/handset or an ATA (Analogue Telephone
>> Adapter) which allows you to connect a "normal" phone to your broadband
>> router so it can connect to Sipgate.
>>
>>> 2. Will this work when I go abroad? (receive incoming calls without
>>> computer switched on - I have adsl abroad).

>> If you take the ATA/handset with you, you should be able to log in from
>> abroad and make/receive calls as though you were at home.
>>
>>> 3. Is it still free to receive incoming calls abroad?

>> Yes.

> Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a SIP phone?

A sip phone plugs into your router / ethernet socket of your internet
connection and works like a normal phone on your sipgate line. You are
however always have to use *that* phone. If you get an ATA (eg sipura spa
2000, grandstream 486- theres something for you to google) that plugs into
your internet connection, does all the fancy work and then you can plug any
normal house phone into that, be it a corded one, or a dect phone so its
then a wireless line, connect it to multiple feeds in your house etc, so
your not limited to the same physical phone.

Ivor Jones

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jg_bg.4465$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Cap Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44706389$0$10778$(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]

> > Paul - thanks for prompt reply. Can you recommend a
> > SIP phone?

> A sip phone plugs into your router / ethernet socket of
> your internet connection and works like a normal phone on
> your sipgate line. You are however always have to use
> *that* phone. If you get an ATA (eg sipura spa 2000,
> grandstream 486- theres something for you to google) that
> plugs into your internet connection, does all the fancy
> work and then you can plug any normal house phone into
> that, be it a corded one, or a dect phone so its then a
> wireless line, connect it to multiple feeds in your house
> etc, so your not limited to the same physical phone.

Also to the OP please be aware that for SIP to work properly you will need
access to a broadband internet connection - either a dedicated SIP phone
or an ATA will need to plug into an Ethernet socket on your router or a
hub/switch attached somewhere to the network..

If you're using Sipgate take a look at their shop page, there are few good
items there, or www.voxilla.com has a wealth of information as well.

Ivor

hairydog@despammed.com

On Sun, 21 May 2006 13:57:03 +0100, "Cap Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can you recommend a SIP phone?

I can recommend not a SIP phone. It's both cheaper and better to buy
an ATA and a phone separately.

Thomas Kenyon

> On Sun, 21 May 2006 13:57:03 +0100, "Cap Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Can you recommend a SIP phone?

> I can recommend not a SIP phone. It's both cheaper and better to buy
> an ATA and a phone separately.

I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

There are advantages to each solution though.

Chris Davies

Thomas Kenyon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
they feel".)

Thanks,
Chris

Thomas Kenyon

Chris Davies wrote:
> Thomas Kenyon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

> URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
> as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
> they feel".)

Actually they feel quite nice.

I've never used them with the SIP firmware on, but they seem to be fine
as IAX phones. (problem in current firmware with attended transfers, but
I'm told that is only with the IAX firmware).

They have no bells or whistles, (not the PoE model and no headset port
and not the version with 2 ethernet ports) but they seem to just work.
(Using 2 at home and 11 at work).

http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_At320EE.html

or

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/AT-320

> Thanks,
> Chris

alexd

Chris Davies wrote:

> Thomas Kenyon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've got some SIP phones here that are 35 + p&p.

> URL or make/model, please? Do they work reliably or do they feel as cheap
> as they sound? (Er, perhaps that should be "do they sound as cheap as
> they feel".)

They've got a nice big clear [unlit] display, and the sound quality is
pretty good. The web interface is a bit pidgin, but they've allegedly open
sourced the firmware so hopefully that'll change soon. Some aspects are
annoying, like having to press 3 buttons to do a 'speed' dial, but there
isn't really anything major wrong with the phone.

17:41:45 up 2 days, 11:38, 0 users, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.09
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK