Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip.co.uk

voip.co.uk

Matt

Hi,

Still having problems with AAH 2.8 and voip.co.uk.

The current problem is that if I dial 121 (for voicemail) the system
dials up to v.c.uk as planned, but it never answers the call.

Their support desk told me it was a problem with codecs. I've tried a
few options, but no improvement!

Also, if I try to make an outgoing call to my mobile, the mobile rings,
I answer it, but voip.co.uk still gives me a ringing tone from the
handset I called from. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Could a voip.co.uk user please post the section of sip.conf that
contains the general codec details, and also the specific voip.co.uk
details?

What do people think of voip.co.uk? Am I the only one with ongoing
problems? Have moved a couple of numbers to voipfone, and found them
to be worth the 1.99 a month.

Many thanks

Matthew

Jono

Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Still having problems with AAH 2.8 and voip.co.uk.
>
> The current problem is that if I dial 121 (for voicemail) the system
> dials up to v.c.uk as planned, but it never answers the call.
>
> Their support desk told me it was a problem with codecs. I've tried a
> few options, but no improvement!
>
> Also, if I try to make an outgoing call to my mobile, the mobile
> rings, I answer it, but voip.co.uk still gives me a ringing tone from
> the handset I called from. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
>
> Could a voip.co.uk user please post the section of sip.conf that
> contains the general codec details, and also the specific voip.co.uk
> details?
>
> What do people think of voip.co.uk? Am I the only one with ongoing
> problems? Have moved a couple of numbers to voipfone, and found them
> to be worth the 1.99 a month.
>
> Many thanks
>

> Matthew

sip.conf:

[general]

port = 5060 ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060)
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0 ; Address to bind to (all addresses on machine)
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
;context = from-sip-external ; Send unknown SIP callers to this context
context = from-trunk
;defaultexpirey = 600 ; include this only if necessary
;maxexpirey = 3600 ; include this only if necessary
progressinband = yes
dtmfmode=auto

callerid = Unknown
externip = my.dndns.domain
localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
nat=yes

#include sip_nat.conf
#include sip_custom.conf
#include sip_additional.conf

Jono

Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Still having problems with AAH 2.8 and voip.co.uk.
>
> The current problem is that if I dial 121 (for voicemail) the system
> dials up to v.c.uk as planned, but it never answers the call.
>
> Their support desk told me it was a problem with codecs. I've tried a
> few options, but no improvement!
>
> Also, if I try to make an outgoing call to my mobile, the mobile
> rings, I answer it, but voip.co.uk still gives me a ringing tone from
> the handset I called from. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
>
> Could a voip.co.uk user please post the section of sip.conf that
> contains the general codec details, and also the specific voip.co.uk
> details?
>
> What do people think of voip.co.uk? Am I the only one with ongoing
> problems? Have moved a couple of numbers to voipfone, and found them
> to be worth the 1.99 a month.
>
> Many thanks
>

> Matthew

PEER:
authuser=userID
canreinvite=no
context=from-pstn
fromdomain=proxy.voip.co.uk
fromuser=userID
host=proxy.voip.co.uk
insecure=very
secret=password
type=peer
username=userID

linker3000

Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Still having problems with AAH 2.8 and voip.co.uk.
>
> The current problem is that if I dial 121 (for voicemail) the system
> dials up to v.c.uk as planned, but it never answers the call.
>
> Their support desk told me it was a problem with codecs. I've tried a
> few options, but no improvement!
>
> Also, if I try to make an outgoing call to my mobile, the mobile rings,
> I answer it, but voip.co.uk still gives me a ringing tone from the
> handset I called from. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?
>
> Could a voip.co.uk user please post the section of sip.conf that
> contains the general codec details, and also the specific voip.co.uk
> details?
>
> What do people think of voip.co.uk? Am I the only one with ongoing
> problems? Have moved a couple of numbers to voipfone, and found them
> to be worth the 1.99 a month.
>
> Many thanks
>

> Matthew

Hi Matt,

I have just completed a three week 'trial by fire' learning AAH and I am
with voip.co.uk so I may be able to help. I am puzzled as to why you are
using voip.co.uk's voicemail though as AAH will do that for you. Anyway,
here's a breakdown of my relevant bits:

++++++++++

sip.conf:

[general]

port = 5060 ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060)
bindaddr = 0.0.0.0 ; Address to bind to (all addresses on machine)
disallow=all
allow=ilbc
allow=gsm
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
; If you need to answer unauthenticated calls, you should change this
; next line to 'from-trunk', rather than 'from-sip-external'.
; You'll know this is happening if when you call in you get a message
; saying "The number you have dialed is not in service. Please check the
; number and try again."
;context = from-sip-external ; Send unknown SIP callers to this context
context = from-trunk

;My added bits...
externip = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [My public IP address]
localnet = 192.168.101.0/255.255.255.0 [My LAN address]

[rest of file...]

++++++++++

Now, voip.co.uk doesn't support ilbc and gsm but some of our LAN devices
do so I added those codecs for them. I reckon the most important bits
you need to look at are your trunks, routes and extensions...here's a
rundown of one of my voip.co.uk trunks - assume that my SIP account is
123456 and its password is banana. Note that this is quite a bit
different from the recommendation on the voip.co.uk site, but it works -
I have five SIP accounts all logged in at the moment.

Note that the PEER DETAILS section has no 'disallow=all' because with
that in place I couldn't get AAH to negotiate a compatible codec with
voip.co.uk, which is probably the root cause of your problem too.

PEER DETAILS:

allow=g711u&g711a&g729a&g723.1
authuser=123456
fromdomain=proxy.voip.co.uk
fromuser=123456
host=proxy.voip.co.uk
insecure=very
password=banana
qualify=yes
secret=banana
type=peer
username=123456

USER Context: 123456

USER Details:

context=from-trunk
fromuser=123456
host=proxy.voip.co.uk
insecure=very
secret=banana
type=user

Register String:

123456:(E-Mail Removed)/123456

++++++++++

Inbound Route:

DID Number: 123456

[Rest left as default except for specifying a destination]

++++++++++

Last but not least, to resolve some problems with inbound voice not
being heard, I had to set the following on all extensions (whether NAT
was involved or not):

nat yes
qualify yes

As for voip.co.uk's service - can't fault it. They have always responded
very quickly and been very helpful as I've asked tons of daft
questions as I've learnt about Voice over IP and their service. I am
writing up my config for their technical pages.

Hope this helps - come back if you need more. I'm still learning but
I've got things working.

L3K

linker3000

So where DID you get your dock n talk then!?

L3K

Matt

Cheers for all the details L3K and Jono.

Only using thier voicemail as a backup when the adsl goes down - been
caught up in very poor service from e7even and their inablity to issue
MAC's etc.....

Will try these changes tomorrow and report back!

Thanks

Matthew

Jono

on 19/05/2006, linker3000 supposed :
> So where DID you get your dock n talk then!?
>
> L3K

Oh aye,

Sorry.

It was a chap called Shuki Eden, from a company called BlueICT.

I have his mobile number which I could email to you?

linker3000

Jono wrote:
> on 19/05/2006, linker3000 supposed :
>> So where DID you get your dock n talk then!?
>>
>> L3K

> Oh aye,
>
> Sorry.
>
> It was a chap called Shuki Eden, from a company called BlueICT.
>
> I have his mobile number which I could email to you?

I have found their Web site thanks - seems a few others are selling in
the UK too now.

L3K

this one

Hi L3K

Well your setup got me as far as being able to ring out from voip.co.uk
but when I ring in to voip.co.uk I get the voip.co.uk voicemail message and
then whilst it is playing my extension phone rings. I have tried many
differnet combinations of extension,incoming routes and trunks. Can you
think what i may have wrong.

Nearly there but just that last sprint to the finish.