Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > RE: How do I Punch down new phone lines on the 66 blocks

RE: How do I Punch down new phone lines on the 66 blocks

twbryant4now@yahoo.com

How can I complete this task? I have a 66 block with analog lines
coming into the block the 66 block that connects to a phone system. I
need to identify the correct phone numbers coming out of the block.
Punch down the lines using cat3 or cat5 cable bypassing the phone
system and running the new punched down lines straight into a FXO card
in a router. so the phone line no longer go to the phone system box but
a router to connect the new phones to the network for VoIP. Any help
would be appreciated. Thank you

Jonathan Roberts

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> How can I complete this task? I have a 66 block with analog lines
> coming into the block the 66 block that connects to a phone system. I
> need to identify the correct phone numbers coming out of the block.
> Punch down the lines using cat3 or cat5 cable bypassing the phone
> system and running the new punched down lines straight into a FXO card
> in a router. so the phone line no longer go to the phone system box but
> a router to connect the new phones to the network for VoIP. Any help
> would be appreciated. Thank you

Is your question how to determine which line is which?

William P.N. Smith

>How can I complete this task? I have a 66 block with analog lines

Google for punch block tool. There are two flavors, 66 (POTS) and 110
(network), you'll probably want a tool with both blades.

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> How can I complete this task? I have a 66 block with
> analog lines coming into the block the 66 block that
> connects to a phone system. I need to identify the
> correct phone numbers coming out of the block. Punch down
> the lines using cat3 or cat5 cable bypassing the phone
> system and running the new punched down lines straight
> into a FXO card in a router. so the phone line no longer
> go to the phone system box but a router to connect the
> new phones to the network for VoIP. Any help would be
> appreciated. Thank you

Question - what is a "66" block..?

Ivor

William P.N. Smith

"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Question - what is a "66" block..?

Only Google knows for sure. Just like a 110 block, but older, and not
rated for Cat5. 8*)

Ivor Jones

"William P.N. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Question - what is a "66" block..?

> Only Google knows for sure. Just like a 110 block, but
> older, and not rated for Cat5. 8*)

Well as I haven't the faintest idea what a 110 block is either, I'm none
the wiser..!

If it's some American thing, please be aware that not all of the
readership of this group is within the USA.

Ivor

Jonathan Roberts

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "William P.N. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Question - what is a "66" block..?

> > Only Google knows for sure. Just like a 110 block, but
> > older, and not rated for Cat5. 8*)

> Well as I haven't the faintest idea what a 110 block is either, I'm none
> the wiser..!
>
> If it's some American thing, please be aware that not all of the
> readership of this group is within the USA.
>
> Ivor

Ivor

It is a telecommunication block to punch down telephone lines. I'm not sure
if it is an American thing or used elsewhere. Some more info is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/66_block

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Carl Navarro

On Mon, 22 May 2006 01:23:48 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"William P.N. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Question - what is a "66" block..?

>> Only Google knows for sure. Just like a 110 block, but
>> older, and not rated for Cat5. 8*)

>Well as I haven't the faintest idea what a 110 block is either, I'm none
>the wiser..!
>
>If it's some American thing, please be aware that not all of the
>readership of this group is within the USA.

Good thing because of your name

It's hard to decipher an address @.invalid and I don't display headers
in the newsgroups to see where your message originated.

Do you have Krone blocks? Turn it sideways, put legs on it, and that
would be a 110-AW50 block. When you put in 4 rows, its a 100 and with
12 rows you get 300 pairs.

Carl Navarro

Ivor Jones

"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

[snip]

> Ivor
>
> It is a telecommunication block to punch down telephone
> lines. I'm not sure if it is an American thing or used
> elsewhere. Some more info is here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/66_block
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Jonathan

Ah, thanks. Here in the UK we use a similar thing (not quite the same from
the illustration) commonly called (taken from the manufacturer's name),
Krone strips.

https://www6.adc.com/ecom/hier?NODE=OND94421

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"Carl Navarro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Do you have Krone blocks? Turn it sideways, put legs on
> it, and that would be a 110-AW50 block. When you put in
> 4 rows, its a 100 and with 12 rows you get 300 pairs.
>
> Carl Navarro

Yes we use Krone blocks here, they appear to be the same or very similar,
thanks for the clarification.

Ivor