Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP Media Center networking problem

XP Media Center networking problem

James D

Just got a new gateway laptop. I networked it on my home network. I can
access all other shared folders (hidden an unhidden) going OUT of the
laptop. I CANNOT however see anything going IN to the laptop. I have tried
connecting both wired and wireless and still nothing. I called gateway and
dlink who both pointed the finger at each other. I think it is a setting in
windows I am missing. Can anyone seem to figure this one out. I use XP home
on all systems and XP media center on the laptop. Thanks.

Kevin

"James D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a new gateway laptop. I networked it on my home network. I can
> access all other shared folders (hidden an unhidden) going OUT of the
> laptop. I CANNOT however see anything going IN to the laptop. I have tried
> connecting both wired and wireless and still nothing. I called gateway and
> dlink who both pointed the finger at each other. I think it is a setting
> in
> windows I am missing. Can anyone seem to figure this one out. I use XP
> home
> on all systems and XP media center on the laptop. Thanks.

So your other computers can't see the laptop? Did you enable file sharing
on the laptop?

Malke

James D wrote:

> Just got a new gateway laptop. I networked it on my home network. I
> can access all other shared folders (hidden an unhidden) going OUT of
> the laptop. I CANNOT however see anything going IN to the laptop. I
> have tried connecting both wired and wireless and still nothing. I
> called gateway and dlink who both pointed the finger at each other. I
> think it is a setting in windows I am missing. Can anyone seem to
> figure this one out. I use XP home on all systems and XP media center
> on the laptop. Thanks.

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

Shared Documents folder.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
matters in your situation.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

cgi101 cgi101 is offline
Junior Member

I had a similar probelm on my Windows XP computer... I had printer sharing and file sharing enabled on my desktop computer, and file sharing on all my laptops... All of my laptops could see each other's file shares, and the desktop could see all the laptop file shares, but no laptop could see the desktop's file shares... However the laptops did 'see' the desktop in the workgroup... they just didn't detect any file shares.

After reading this thread and hearing about how the guest account is used with simple file sharing, I had a stroke of genius.... I had put a password on the guest account!
I simply went to the windows control panel, went to the user accounts settings, and removed the guest account password. Voila! All the laptops suddenly see the desktop's file and printer shares.

Hope this helps someone else!

myCubeIsMyCell myCubeIsMyCell is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgi101
I had a similar probelm on my Windows XP computer... I had printer sharing and file sharing enabled on my desktop computer, and file sharing on all my laptops... All of my laptops could see each other's file shares, and the desktop could see all the laptop file shares, but no laptop could see the desktop's file shares... However the laptops did 'see' the desktop in the workgroup... they just didn't detect any file shares.

After reading this thread and hearing about how the guest account is used with simple file sharing, I had a stroke of genius.... I had put a password on the guest account!
I simply went to the windows control panel, went to the user accounts settings, and removed the guest account password. Voila! All the laptops suddenly see the desktop's file and printer shares.

Hope this helps someone else!
THANK YOU cgi101 ! I'd been pulling what's left of my hair out trying to figure out what the heck was going on with my MCE 2005 system... I didn't recall ever setting a pass on the Guest account - but sure enough... resetting it did the trick!

Thanks!