Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > '5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to netwo

'5 or 11 Ascii characters..' error when trying to connect to netwo

=?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

I have installed a new copy of XP and am trying to access an existing
wireless network. If I view available networks, I can see the one I want to
connect to. It is a secure network, so it requires a network key, which I
know. However when I type it in I get the following error:

"The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your
network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii characters or 10
or 26 hexadecimal characters"

I have found a similar thread with an answer, which suggests I enter any 10
characters as a network key. I haven't tried this yet, because I'm not at my
PC. But. and correct me if I'm wrong, surely I enter my known secure network
password at this point. Or do I just make something up???

Any suggestions?

Malke

rmellison wrote:

> I have installed a new copy of XP and am trying to access an existing
> wireless network. If I view available networks, I can see the one I
> want to connect to. It is a secure network, so it requires a network
> key, which I know. However when I type it in I get the following
> error:
>
> "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on
> your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii
> characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters"
>
> I have found a similar thread with an answer, which suggests I enter
> any 10 characters as a network key. I haven't tried this yet, because
> I'm not at my PC. But. and correct me if I'm wrong, surely I enter my
> known secure network password at this point. Or do I just make
> something up???
>
> Any suggestions?

You must enter the correct key to connect. The error message indicates
that you are not entering the correct key. If this is your own wireless
network, check the key by looking at it in the wireless router's
configuration.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Try:

Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key #1 on
the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes, leave
them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"rmellison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have installed a new copy of XP and am trying to access an existing
> wireless network. If I view available networks, I can see the one I want

> connect to. It is a secure network, so it requires a network key, which I
> know. However when I type it in I get the following error:
>
> "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii characters or

10
> or 26 hexadecimal characters"
>
> I have found a similar thread with an answer, which suggests I enter any

10
> characters as a network key. I haven't tried this yet, because I'm not at

my
> PC. But. and correct me if I'm wrong, surely I enter my known secure

network
> password at this point. Or do I just make something up???
>
> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Try:
>
> Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key #1 on
> the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes, leave
> them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "rmellison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have installed a new copy of XP and am trying to access an existing
> > wireless network. If I view available networks, I can see the one I want

> > connect to. It is a secure network, so it requires a network key, which I
> > know. However when I type it in I get the following error:
> >
> > "The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your
> > network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 11 ascii characters or

> 10
> > or 26 hexadecimal characters"
> >
> > I have found a similar thread with an answer, which suggests I enter any

> 10
> > characters as a network key. I haven't tried this yet, because I'm not at

> my
> > PC. But. and correct me if I'm wrong, surely I enter my known secure

> network
> > password at this point. Or do I just make something up???
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Malke

rmellison wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?
>
> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Try:
>>
>> Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key
>> #1 on
>> the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes,
>> leave them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.

We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
of the encryption key.

To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
http://192.168.1.1

Refer to your router's manual for details.

If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

Ok. Thanks both for your advice. I will try what you have suggested and see
where that gets me. If it doesn't work, you may well hear from me again!

"Malke" wrote:

> rmellison wrote:
>
> > Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?
> >
> > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Try:
> >>
> >> Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key
> >> #1 on
> >> the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes,
> >> leave them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.

> We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
> up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
> passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
> more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
> don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
> of the encryption key.
>
> To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
> router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
> Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
> http://192.168.1.1
>
> Refer to your router's manual for details.
>
> If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
> the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?cm1lbGxpc29u?=

Got conencted, thanks to both of you for your advice.
However I'm having a problem now with my connection dropping out fairly
regularly. The signal is full strength when it is connected, I just get an
info balloon on my taskbar saying that 'One or more wireless networks is
available' and I have to reconnect. Any suggestions on how I prevent it
dropping out?

"Malke" wrote:

> rmellison wrote:
>
> > Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?
> >
> > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Try:
> >>
> >> Do not use the password - use only the hex number generated for key
> >> #1 on
> >> the router. If the key #1 number displayed on the router has dashes,
> >> leave them out when you enter the number in key #1on the client.

> We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
> up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
> passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
> more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
> don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
> of the encryption key.
>
> To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
> router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
> Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
> http://192.168.1.1
>
> Refer to your router's manual for details.
>
> If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
> the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Lem

rmellison wrote:
> Got conencted, thanks to both of you for your advice.
> However I'm having a problem now with my connection dropping out fairly
> regularly. The signal is full strength when it is connected, I just get an
> info balloon on my taskbar saying that 'One or more wireless networks is
> available' and I have to reconnect. Any suggestions on how I prevent it
> dropping out?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> rmellison wrote:
>>
>>> Forgive my ignorance, what is the key #1 number on the router?

>> We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
>> up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
>> passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
>> more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
>> don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
>> of the encryption key.
>>
>> To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
>> router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
>> Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
>> http://192.168.1.1
>>
>> Refer to your router's manual for details.
>>
>> If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
>> the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Any cordless phones, microwave ovens, or similar appliances nearby?
Crowded neighborhood where there may be other wireless networks? The
signal strength indicator provided by WinXP is not necessarily a good
indication of the strength of the network that you want to connect to.
Try going into your router's configuration and change to channel 11 (or 1).

=?Utf-8?B?QWxiZXJ0YVJvY2tzMQ==?=

THANK-YOU. After many frustrating hours (including trying to contact the
"nerd" who charged me a fortune to setup the network but couldn't tell me
what the key was!!) I found you guys and Doug's absolutely CORRECT
INFORMATION that allowed me to get to my router's website & get the "key".
THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU!!!

"Lem" wrote:

> rmellison wrote:
> > Got conencted, thanks to both of you for your advice.
> > However I'm having a problem now with my connection dropping out fairly
> > regularly. The signal is full strength when it is connected, I just get an
> > info balloon on my taskbar saying that 'One or more wireless networks is
> > available' and I have to reconnect. Any suggestions on how I prevent it
> > dropping out?

> >> We're assuming you're trying to connect to your own router. When you set
> >> up your wireless function on the router, you probably entered a
> >> passphrase which generated an encryption key. Some routers generate
> >> more than one key - Key #1, Key #2, etc. You only want Key #1 and you
> >> don't want to enter the passphrase - enter the actual numbers/letters
> >> of the encryption key.
> >>
> >> To see the router's configuration, the usual way is to enter the
> >> router's IP address in a browser's addressbar. For example, to enter a
> >> Linksys router's configuration utility you would type:
> >> http://192.168.1.1
> >>
> >> Refer to your router's manual for details.
> >>
> >> If you aren't trying to connect to your own router, you'll need to get
> >> the correct key from whoever the router belongs to.
> >>
> >> Malke
> >> --
> >> Elephant Boy Computers
> >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> >> "Don't Panic!"
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>

> Any cordless phones, microwave ovens, or similar appliances nearby?
> Crowded neighborhood where there may be other wireless networks? The
> signal strength indicator provided by WinXP is not necessarily a good
> indication of the strength of the network that you want to connect to.
> Try going into your router's configuration and change to channel 11 (or 1).

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Go get 'em, Albert!

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP